Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
This is the place to discuss issues that are relevant for locations in the US. For any other discussions, please use the main forums.
Post by GizmoGuy411
xteejx wrote:Actually, enclosing N/E/S/W in brackets also makes it say the directions.
Types of brackets (quoted in part from Wikipedia):
( ) — round brackets, open brackets, brackets (UK), or parentheses (called parentheses by Microsoft)
[ ] — square brackets, closed brackets, or brackets (US), (called square brackets by Microsoft)
{ } — curly brackets, definite brackets, swirly brackets, curly braces, birdie brackets, Scottish brackets, squirrelly brackets, braces, gullwings, seagull, fancy brackets, or DeLorean Brackets, (called curly brackets by Microsoft; see Character Map - %windir%\system32\charmap.exe)

I hate to say it, but I guess we need to test N/E/S/W with all of them.
GizmoGuy411
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

U.S. based Global Champ Emeritus
U.S. Local Champ
U.S. Country Manager
U.S. Great Lakes ARC: IL, IN, MI, OH, WI
(and past GLR RC)
AM: NW OH, NE IN, SE MI
Wiki Profile
Verizon: Google Pixel XL3 & iPad "3"

Post by GizmoGuy411
kentsmith9 wrote: I have been thinking about adding the known codes into the Wiki. I started collecting what I could find in the forums. I can create the Wiki page (unless someone knows it is there and I missed it) and add what I have found so far.
If you do so, it may be helpful to also include the visual and audio response that the client gives after issuing the command.
GizmoGuy411
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

U.S. Local Champ
U.S. Country Manager
(and past GLR RC)
Wiki Profile

Post by GizmoGuy411
binkowski wrote:SIAP, but the abbreviation "Gd" for "Grand" is used quite a bit on Michigan highway signs. Any chance of adding this to the abbreviation list? For instance, "Gd" is used sometimes (but not always) for Grand Rapids and Grand River.
Thanks for the suggestion.

My test rig on Waze was inadvertantly deleted by a well meaning AM several weeks ago. And while I have not given up on the project, I currently do not have time to continue it.

I will however be sure to add it to the list to be tested in the future, when I rebuild the rig.

Do you happen to know how Waze handles the abbreviation currently?
GizmoGuy411
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

U.S. Local Champ
U.S. Country Manager
(and past GLR RC)
Wiki Profile

Post by GizmoGuy411
Alan makes an important point. Just because we add an abbreviation to the list and test it, does not mean that we desire Waze to actually use it. In fact, there are a number of existing abbreviations that we feel should really be removed.

Note that very few abbreviations in the list are marked to be added to Waze. The decision on what we feel Waze should add is actually a bit beyond the scope of this thread, and remains to be something for future discussion.

And although Waze has shown interest in our opinions on these abbreviation, we do not know if they will or can make any of the changes that we may eventually submit.

There are many instances where local abbreviations abound, yet the best choice for us as editors is to just spell out name.

As we have stated before, "when in doubt, spell it out".
GizmoGuy411
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

U.S. Local Champ
U.S. Country Manager
(and past GLR RC)
Wiki Profile

Post by GizmoGuy411
txemt wrote:In Texas, we have three roads which I've never seen in any other state (and I've been to half of this country):

FM-Farm to Market
RM-Ranch to Market
PR-Park Road (this may be used inside parks throughout the country, but Texas names them for roads going to a park or through a national/state park).

Most people ....
banished and mapcat had noted FM and RM some time ago and they were added to the list to be tested. And while PR sounds familiar, it was not yet in the list, so I added it for completeness.

And RR - Ranch Road is another Texas thing that deepeddy mentioned some time ago that I just found while searching the forums. I just added it too.

FYI, Farm-to-Market Roads also exist in Iowa.

Here is a link to an article about FMs in Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Farm-to-market_road

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... nk.svg.png http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... nk.svg.png
Curious that neither sign mentions "Market". Great way to confuse non-Texans!

I'll be sure to add your test results, if you find them before we build another test rig.
GizmoGuy411
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

U.S. Local Champ
U.S. Country Manager
(and past GLR RC)
Wiki Profile

Post by GizmoGuy411
zombie16 wrote:I can confirm that FM roads are pronounced as 'Farm to Market'. I have not come across any RM roads or PR roads while driving. I have seen PR roads in the map editor, though.
Thanks, I edited the list to show that you confirmed that the abbreviation "FM" is pronounced "Farm to Market".
GizmoGuy411
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

U.S. Local Champ
U.S. Country Manager
(and past GLR RC)
Wiki Profile

Post by GizmoGuy411
DonJ2 wrote:What does TTS say when streets use the following formats (for example)?

SW 41st Way (as in 40 first, I'm guessing TTS will say "Forty One Street Way"?)
SW 42nd Way (as in 40 second)
SW 43rd Way (as in 40 third, I'm guessing TTS will say "Forty Three Road Way"?)
SW 44th Way (as in 40 fourth)
... etc.

I've seen this format used in the basemaps. I could not find these abbreviations in the spreadsheet, so I'm wondering what TTS will do?
Good point! We intended to add more numerically named combinations, but never did. We only had "3rd", with no suffix which Waze did handled properly according to "invented".

There are a number of numerically named streets across town from me that I should be close to tomorrow. I'll try to see how they are handled. I'm afraid however that they are all "Streets", so testing for the "Road" suffix may take a while unless someone else can find some existing ones to report on.

I've also added the following to the list for future testing:

1st Rd
1st St
2nd
2nd Rd
2nd St
3rd
3rd Rd
3rd St
4th
4th Rd
4th St
41st Rd
41st St
42nd Rd
42nd St
43rd Rd
43rd St

I did not add the suffix "Way" as I figured, if there would be issues, it would be with the above combinations.
GizmoGuy411
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

U.S. Local Champ
U.S. Country Manager
(and past GLR RC)
Wiki Profile

Post by GizmoGuy411
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:I'm pretty sure I've heard most of those abbreviations such as 22nd, 31st, 44th, etc., fully pronounced correctly. I know for certain that roads like "209th Ave" are correctly pronounced, in the US, as "two oh ninth avenue" and 175th and 185th are "one hundred seventy-fifth" and "one hundred eighty-fifth" as you would expect.
That is good to hear Alan. (pun intended)

Do you recall hearing any specific combinations such as "1st St" or "3rd Rd", as those type of combinations with similar suffixes are the ones that I think would be most likely to fail.
GizmoGuy411
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

U.S. Local Champ
U.S. Country Manager
(and past GLR RC)
Wiki Profile

Post by GizmoGuy411
Just confirmed a "101st St" in my area. So far so good. I'll have to add it specifically to the list.

No luck finding any "xxxrd Rd" yet that I can drive to however.
GizmoGuy411
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

U.S. Local Champ
U.S. Country Manager
(and past GLR RC)
Wiki Profile

Post by GizmoGuy411
Ill add it to the list to show obedience that actually works correctly. Is that the exact capitalization and punctuation?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
GizmoGuy411
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

U.S. Local Champ
U.S. Country Manager
(and past GLR RC)
Wiki Profile