Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
This is the place to discuss issues that are relevant for locations in the US. For any other discussions, please use the main forums.
Post by dbraughlr
davielde wrote:… where would "Business US-[#]" routes fall? In making things convenient from a TTS and shield-generating standpoint for interstate business routes only using "BI-", are we sacrificing consistency with US business routes, or should potential abbreviations be discussed with those in mind as well? "BUS-[#]" likely wouldn't work as we know how that is pronounced...
I think "BUS-" (business alternate or biz alt) is fine for business alternate route. But there is a conflict if TTS interprets Bus or bus the same as "BUS".
dbraughlr
Send a message

Post by dbraughlr
Those who are interested in the discussion of "Business" in the highway name, please see this thread on the subject to address the first matter of updating the wiki to standardize naming without the abbreviation "Bus".
dbraughlr
Send a message

Post by dbraughlr
What happened to MT = Montana ?
dbraughlr
Send a message

Post by dbraughlr
Whether Louis XIV is read as lewis ex eye vee or lewis fourteenth, it won't be perfect.

I think we want C, D, I, L, M, V, and X pronounced as letters. It seems that Roman numerals are the exceptions and should require special notation if used at all.
dbraughlr
Send a message

Post by dbraughlr
sketch wrote:"Penn" should say "penn", but do we want "Penn." to say "Pennsylvania"?
No. Before the postal abbreviation "PA" came into use, the abbreviations were "Penna." or "Pa.". "PA" has become so widespread that even most old-timers refer to the state using the modern "PA", as in "I've lived in PA for 80 years".
dbraughlr
Send a message

dbraughlr
Send a message
Last edited by dbraughlr on Sat May 24, 2014 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by dbraughlr
GizmoGuy411 wrote:Therefore we may need to follow suite for the letters used for Roman Numerals too.
From what you listed, there are thousands of them. That's clutter.
What range do you really intend to cover?
GizmoGuy411 wrote: So maybe Roman Numerals could use a period after them instead of quotes to differentiate them.
That doesn't seem likely, at least not if you intend to cover a range beyond 1 to 30.

What's wrong with using Louis the 14th instead of Louis XIV.? If anything, our experience with N/E/S/W should tell us that it was a bad precedent that should not be expanded.
dbraughlr
Send a message

Post by dbraughlr
sketch wrote:Street names should still match signs. If it says "Louis XIV" use "Louis XIV". No one is going to think to search for their aunt's house at 1234 Louis The 14th St", and it's going to look wrong on the client display.
So where the signs say "First St", "Second St", etc, and Waze has "1st St", "2nd St", etc, that is wrong, looks wrong in the client, and causes searches to fail? Is this written is our road naming standard somewhere?

It seems to me that the fuzzy search engines can treat "XIV" as a synonym for "14" and search correctly.

Of course, writing "the 14th" instead of "XIV" goes back to the matter of pronunciation and how to get "Louis" spoken as "Louie" which would be a good way to handle pronunciation of Roman numerals too.
dbraughlr
Send a message

Post by dbraughlr
GizmoGuy411 wrote:I agree with sketch in that I am really not very concerned about Roman Numerals and that the letters themselves are more important at least for North America using the English voices.
We all agree.
GizmoGuy411 wrote:What I am MORE concerned with is why these variations exist in the first place and if they are indicators of some bad RegEx that needs to be addressed at the Waze end, as other parts of the world may need Roman Numerals.
Scrapping Roman numerals is a good way to avoid the bugs and problems they cause.
GizmoGuy411 wrote: Actually I don't think there are many more instances than those I listed as potential conflicts with Roman Numerals. This was limited to valid Roman Numerals, not simply every possible combination of letters used in Roman Numerals. I'll edit that in the prior post.
The highest number you gave in the prior post was MM. In order for that range of Roman numerals to work, all 2000 combinations from "I.", "II.", to "MCMXCIX.", "MM." would have to be defined as abbreviations.
That seems unrealistic. That's why I suggested an upper limit like 30.
dbraughlr
Send a message

Post by dbraughlr
I expect a search to succeed even with a synonym, e.g., "first" = "1st" "eighty four" = "84".
I'm not particular about how it looks.
dbraughlr
Send a message