Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
This is the place to discuss issues that are relevant for locations in the US. For any other discussions, please use the main forums.
Post by DwarfLord
TTS said it again twice for me today, and the intonation and stress were exactly how one would say Canada (the country). The n may have been a bit less nasal, almost a 'd', but no different really from how one usually hears it spoken. Hope this helps!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DwarfLord
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Send a message

Post by DwarfLord
PesachZ wrote:What voice are you using?
Have you cleared your TTS cache recently?
Are you able to share the actual TTS file from your device?
Samantha, no, and I've never attempted that.

I'll research how to accomplish the latter (if it involves jailbreaking I will probably give it a miss).
DwarfLord
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Send a message

Post by DwarfLord
Tried iFunBox, it crashed; found another one, iMazingforMac, but it won't run on OS X 10.6.8 (I have to run it for legacy code support). I think I'll give up getting the sound file for now.

I don't plan to change road names en masse anytime soon, but there is a real Cañada Rd that got a UR for lacking the tilde, so I think I'll redo that one. At least the ñ will show on the app display. Hopefully users will be forgiving if it pronounces Cañada even vaguely like the real thing, now that the horrible "plus minus" TTS of ñ seems to be gone!
DwarfLord
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Send a message

Post by DwarfLord
What is the status of Br and Brg?

The big table says "Br" TTSd to "Branch" as of early 2012, while "Brg" TTSd to "Bridge" as of mid-2014. But the table mentions that these TTS tests were conducted prior to "Jane". Meanwhile the latest USA guidance does not mention "Brg", and Validator flags "Brg" as unknown.

If "Brg" has been completely discontinued in the last year and no longer functions at all in TTS, may I recommend that it nevertheless be added to the new USA Abbreviations and Acronyms wiki article as "(discontinued, do not use)"?

It is always helpful, when formerly recommended guidance is withdrawn, that there be some mention of whether it's deprecated or no longer supported at all :ugeek:
DwarfLord
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Send a message

Post by DwarfLord
Wayyyyy earlier in this thread there seemed to be resolution that the FS-xxx road-category prefix should pronounce as "Forest Service", similar to US-xxx, I-xxx, SR-xxx, CR-xxx, etc. The US even has a wiki article on Forest Service Roads (note, MVUM = Motor Vehicle Use Map published by the US Forest Service):
Current USA wiki article on Forest Service Roads wrote:
  • USFS roads on the MVUMs that are not named or with an alternative naming convention should be named "FS-XXXX" where XXXX is the USFS road name on the MVUM. For example, main FS-333 road might have stub roads FS-333A through FS-333E. (NOTE: THIS NAMING STANDARD IS CURRENTLY UNDER DISCUSSION/REVIEW 15 MAR 2015)
  • Fire Service Roads, roads designated for Forest Fire services, shall also use the "FS-XXX" designation
However, testing today with the Jane voice indicates FS-xxx is pronounced "eff ess".

Was there a decision that FS-xxx is not a supported road-category prefix after all? Or is it semi-supported, in the sense that it's considered OK to use, but not to voice?
DwarfLord
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Send a message

Post by e-sarge
Here's another example. It's in Canada, but this is the best thread I found for drive being mis-pronounced doctor.

https://www.waze.com/editor/?env=usa&lo ... s=80654014
  • Segment is named "Glen Hill Dr S".
    Should be pronounced "Glen Hill Drive South".
    TTS said "Glen Hill Doctor South".
Please add this to the list.
e-sarge
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message
https://s.waze.tools/c5s.png
Area Manager: Ontario, primary area: Durham Region
Editing Resources: Waze Map Editor | Editing Best Practice | Editing in Canada

Post by e-sarge
I think beej666 is on to something here, and it could be used to off-load some of the organization and research tasks from those who interface with the staffers.

If we had a public list (wiki page, google doc/google form, etc) where editors could report problems (with Permalinks), then we could unleash a small team of volunteer Waze editor geeks to do the research (possibly including estimated number of Wazers impacted based on the trip count of the affected segment, if we can get access to that), associate like problems together (all the mispronounced 'Bueno' together, Glen Hill 'doctor' South with Patriot 'doctor' East (same pattern for abbreviation problem), etc.).

Then we could all see the status of our requests, and enable the key players to strategize what to lobby the staffers for (most difficult, longest outstanding, largest group of impacted Wazers, some quick and easy fixes, etc.).

I'd be willing to help with the construction of something like this, if there's support from the senior editor community -- PM me!
e-sarge
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by e-sarge
voludu2 wrote:Rather than a difficult-to-maintain spreadsheet:

Why not a bugzilla (or other bug/issue/feature ) tracking software. One which allows users to vote for the most important feature requests.

And anyone can see the summary report of all or "all open" or "by oldest" or "most popular" and moderators would have the power to merge duplicate requests with a click of the button.

This would be easier to share with the team, too.

Waze editors frequently use space on different unofficial waze-related servers in different parts of the world. I bet it would be possible to find a little space for this.

(And while we are at it, to set up useful issue tracking for other things like road closures, for which the sheet is very cumbersome)
A couple of counter-points:
  • TTS errors are bugs, and you don't 'vote' on bugs. All bugs, once confirmed as bugs, need to be fixed (eventually, given the restrictions of resources). Priority should be based on importance and capabilities, not popularity. New features we can vote on, but that's not what this thread is really about.

And, a second TTS error that has a similar pattern as an existing is not a duplicate, in the same way that a typo might appear on two different Wiki pages -- not a duplicate, just two bugs to be fixed. A duplicate would be two users reporting the same TTS error on the same segment.
FYI, I'm not hung up on any particular tool. I personally don't find spreadsheets 'cumbersome', I find them 'useful' -- the closure spreadsheet works just fine for me. But we don't have to use a hammer if a screwdriver is more appropriate. In this case, we have a rather large list of TTS problems, so something tabular in nature is going to be the best fit.
e-sarge
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by e-sarge
e-sarge wrote:Here's another example. It's in Canada, but this is the best thread I found for drive being mis-pronounced doctor.

Back in November I reported this one. I did some further testing, and discovered some additional information that could be crucial to resolving these. Obviously, the abbreviation "Dr" is working properly in most cases. However, there are a few places where it continues to be pronounced "doctor".

I discovered recently that when I approach the road from the east, and the expected voice instruction is to turn right, then it says "doctor". But if I approach from the west, the expected voice instruction is then to turn left, and then is says "drive". This is very interesting that the prefix of the turn direction is having an impact on "drive" versus "doctor".

I tested this at two different intersections along this short road, and I get the same result -- "doctor" when I turn right, "drive" when I turn left.

If you need me to do further testing, there is also a Glen Hill Dr N just 3 blocks north of here -- not sure whether the "north" versus "south" direction is relevant to the "doctor" versus "drive" decision, but based on this new finding, perhaps it might also be related. PM me if testing this becomes necessary.

Hopefully this new information can steer the people doing the debugging to finally find and fix this weird pattern.
e-sarge
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by e-sarge
e-sarge wrote:
e-sarge wrote:Here's another example. It's in Canada, but this is the best thread I found for drive being mis-pronounced doctor.

Back in November I reported this one. I did some further testing, and discovered some additional information that could be crucial to resolving these. Obviously, the abbreviation "Dr" is working properly in most cases. However, there are a few places where it continues to be pronounced "doctor".

I discovered recently that when I approach the road from the east, and the expected voice instruction is to turn right, then it says "doctor". But if I approach from the west, the expected voice instruction is then to turn left, and then is says "drive". This is very interesting that the prefix of the turn direction is having an impact on "drive" versus "doctor".

I tested this at two different intersections along this short road, and I get the same result -- "doctor" when I turn right, "drive" when I turn left.

If you need me to do further testing, there is also a Glen Hill Dr N just 3 blocks north of here -- not sure whether the "north" versus "south" direction is relevant to the "doctor" versus "drive" decision, but based on this new finding, perhaps it might also be related. PM me if testing this becomes necessary.

Hopefully this new information can steer the people doing the debugging to finally find and fix this weird pattern.
I was able to test this last week and it works now. Fixed! 8-) :mrgreen:
e-sarge
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message