Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
This is the place to discuss issues that are relevant for locations in the US. For any other discussions, please use the main forums.
Post by SgtBoaty
This is not an abbreviation problem but I was advised to post here by an editor.

Ardleigh St in Philadelphia, PA is spelled correctly on the map but for some reason is pronounced ANDleigh street.
SgtBoaty
Send a message

Post by sikemever
Pronunciation of "Loudoun" in Virginia. Loudoun is a county in Virginia. Hence, lots of things are named using "Loudoun", (e.g. Loudoun County Parkway). The correct pronunciation is just like the world "loud" with a "un" at the end. Waze however pronounces it as "Load" with a "un". I can't think of a single word in the US English Language that prounounces "xOUD" like "xOAD". Is this the place to get that corrected?
sikemever
Country Manager
Country Manager
Answers: 1
Send a message

Post by singhyc
I80 w. The reed ave exit 83. It suppose to be reed but it is being announced as “red ave”. Instead of reed ave. It use to be correct but now announced as red

Map show the name correctly. It is just text to speech
singhyc
Send a message

Post by SirGadwall
UR opened for incorrect pronunciation of Wicomico St.
Presently pronounced as "Wi Co Me Co"
Correct pronunciation "Why Co Me Co"

PL: https://www.waze.com/editor/?env=usa&lo ... s=21895791
SirGadwall
Send a message

Post by sketch
I have a "Robert E Lee Blvd" which TTS would prononuce as "Robert East Lee Boulevard", so I added a period after the E -- "Robert E. Lee Blvd" -- and now it pronounces it as "Robert East. Lee Boulevard"; the same, but with a pause in the middle.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
ALL US EDITORS READ: New USA road type guidance
the guidance linked above is now almost a decade old, but the link gives me a laugh every time i see it, so it stays (:
assistant regional coordinator • south central region • usa
waze global champ • beta leader • and more • new orleans

bye bye fuelly badge! i'm an EV guy now!

Post by sketch
jenncard wrote:Interesting. So the period also converts to a pause? Perhaps this might be an idea for the other post re: ramp naming.... "Exit 123: I-70 W. Grand Junction"
A possibility, but I dislike this almost as much as I dislike commas, from a logical standpoint :P
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
the guidance linked above is now almost a decade old, but the link gives me a laugh every time i see it, so it stays (:

Post by sketch
Have you tried "Thwy" yet? That's how it's abbreviated up on the exit signs up in Baton Rouge.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by sketch
GizmoGuy411 wrote:WeeZer14 just found an issue in New York City with signs that say "NYC". Waze does not pronounce it properly at all.

I'm adding them all the list, however which of the following should we request:
a) NYC = "New York City"
b) NYC = "NYC" (the letters)
c) N.Y.C. = "New York City"
d) N.Y.C. = "NYC" (the letters)
e) other

I'm thinking b and c.

(As a side note, Excel says "New York City" for "NYC" and says the letters "N", "Y", "C" for "N.Y.C")
"NYC" should be pronounced "N Y C", as should "N.Y.C." If a sign says "New York City", we should put "New York City" in the name, not "N.Y.C."
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by sketch
I agree. I also stated "N.Y.C." should be read like that, though. No need for it to unabbreviate it at all.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by sketch
For the record:

"Intl" is pronounced like "Entull". It would be nice to have it pronounced as "International".

The example that led me here is doubly problematic, in fact: an exit is signed as "N.O. Intl Airport". If I label it "N.O. Intl", it'll say "North Oh Entull", but if I say "NO" it'll just be "No Entull". I'm going to label this segment "New Orleans International" for now, but it would be nice to have it somehow workable.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message