This is the place to discuss issues that are relevant for locations in the US. For any other discussions, please use the main forums.
Post by GizmoGuy411
dbraughlr wrote:
GizmoGuy411 wrote:Therefore we may need to follow suite for the letters used for Roman Numerals too.
From what you listed, there are thousands of them. That's clutter.
What range do you really intend to cover?
GizmoGuy411 wrote: So maybe Roman Numerals could use a period after them instead of quotes to differentiate them.
That doesn't seem likely, at least not if you intend to cover a range beyond 1 to 30.

What's wrong with using Louis the 14th instead of Louis XIV.? If anything, our experience with N/E/S/W should tell us that it was a bad precedent that should not be expanded.
I agree with sketch in that I am really not very concerned about Roman Numerals and that the letters themselves are more important at least for North America using the English voices.

What I am MORE concerned with is why these variations exist in the first place and if they are indicators of some bad RegEx that needs to be addressed at the Waze end, as other parts of the world may need Roman Numerals.

So any submission I may to Waze at this point will be to just point out the inconsistencies. We have plenty of one off issues with TTS pronunciation that is something that may be able to be adjusted in the future via the editor on an individual basis.

Issues like "Sulgrave Dr" being pronounced in the past as "Sulgrave Doctor" however where of concern as in this case it may have been indicative of a wider problem that could effect other names as Doctor vs Drive was more of a global concern.

Actually I don't think there are many more instances than those I listed as potential conflicts with Roman Numerals. This was limited to valid Roman Numerals, not simply every possible combination of letters used in Roman Numerals. I'll edit that in the prior post.
Not sure I agree with you that there are thousands of RN combinations, as many combinations of the letters in RNs are not actually valid RNs.
GizmoGuy411
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

U.S. based Global Champ Emeritus
U.S. Local Champ
U.S. Country Manager
U.S. Great Lakes ARC: IL, IN, MI, OH, WI
(and past GLR RC)
AM: NW OH, NE IN, SE MI
Wiki Profile
Verizon: Google Pixel XL3 & iPad "3"

Post by GizmoGuy411
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:
I tried 16 times to download the TTS for this segment and got empty files every time. Not sure what's going on here. I know with 100% I heard two different "Pkwy N"-ending segments pronounced with "north" so this is ... confusing/concerning. The TTS system appears to be pretty unstable right now.

Finally got it: https://www.dropbox.com/s/sxefwon98h5s2 ... _1.mp3.mp3

Question is, why isn't the app getting this same thing?
Here is the TTS audio file from that actual segment (rather than web TTS test) using the Android beta client:
http://gizmoguy411.com/Waze/TTS/Clearvi ... wy%20N.mp3

It still sounds correct, saying, "then stay to the right to Clearview Parkway north".

And here is the same segment TTS from the Android non-beta client 3.7.8.0:
http://gizmoguy411.com/Waze/TTS/Clearvi ... .7.8.0.mp3

It also sounds correct saying, "at Clearview Parkway north".

I'm beginning to wonder if the "cc@tts" command is not always clearing the cache correctly.

Note: I deleted my previous post and reposted this to Alan's post regarding this, and my addition of the non-beta TTS audio file.
GizmoGuy411
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

U.S. Local Champ
U.S. Country Manager
(and past GLR RC)
Wiki Profile

Post by GizmoGuy411
Kobes1878 wrote:
previous quotes from viewtopic.php?f=129&t=15178&p=799816#p798702 removed
Hi all -

First off, great work @gizmoguy. I've been following this forum and cleared my cache as advised above. Here is another example of the "Enn" error getting on to the NJTpke over here. Id imagine a lot of these ramps would produce the same pronunciation.
I just tested your segment in both the current beta client and in the non-beta 3.7.8.0. client and both said "... north" for me.

However while testing I noticed something curious and troubling at this segment street named "Exit 4: SR-73 / Camden / Philadelphia":
url=https://www.waze.com/editor/?lon=-75.07 ... 72&env=usa

In the beta client, it incorrectly said "exit 4, ess arr 73, Camden, Phildelphia" and in the non-beta the same segment it correctly said "exit4, state route 73, Camden, Phildelphia ...
GizmoGuy411
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

U.S. Local Champ
U.S. Country Manager
(and past GLR RC)
Wiki Profile

Post by GizmoGuy411
PesachZ wrote:[... quote reduction ...] The Maj was not expanded into Major.
BTW this is still not working. is there a fix in the pipes, or should I change the ramp name?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/agfluap6dbfpp ... 3471-1.mp3

Sent using Tapatalk for Android 4.4.2
I have this on a list to submit once Waze catches up with a few other previous submissions. So please hold off changing the ramp name yet.
GizmoGuy411
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

U.S. Local Champ
U.S. Country Manager
(and past GLR RC)
Wiki Profile

Post by GizmoGuy411
I've edited the BIG TTS List to correct an error regarding the sources of abbreviations for Bridge. The chart below also shows the corrected abbreviation sources and current usages.

Please note that nothing has ever been submitted to Waze for change for "Branch" or "Bridge". The current Waze abbreviation usage shown below is how it has always been. That implies that Nuance matched the USPS over MUTCD for their abbreviation choices for their mobile customized version of their Vocalizer TTS product. This does not mean that we can't fix it for Waze.

I agree that we should probably follow actual signs, along with MUTCD before USPS and Canada Post as much as is practical when there are conflicts.

I proposed the change below if we can confirm that signs use "Br" for "Bridge" and that there is more use of "Bridge" than "Branch".
Abbreviation Source - Word > BranchBridge
MUTCDn/aBr
USPS StandardBrBrg
USPS Common BrnchBr
Canada Postn/a n/a
Waze CurrentBr
Brnch
Brg
Waze Proposed
Change
remove Bradd Br
GizmoGuy411
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

U.S. Local Champ
U.S. Country Manager
(and past GLR RC)
Wiki Profile

Post by GizmoGuy411
DwarfLord wrote:While perusing the "big list" I came upon a misspelling. It should be "crescent" with a c after the s. This is so minor it hardly seems worth mentioning, but it is a reference...
Done.
Thanks. Corrections however small appreciated.
GizmoGuy411
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

U.S. Local Champ
U.S. Country Manager
(and past GLR RC)
Wiki Profile

Post by GizmoGuy411
KB_Steveo wrote:
PesachZ wrote:Try "CR-C T" it should give you the results you want.
I was just doing some testing, thanks though. I only mentioned it since it didn't look like it had been confirmed in the list.
Try "CR-C.T." to force it tp pronounce the letters as we have done that for other letters that we would like pronounced.
GizmoGuy411
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

U.S. Local Champ
U.S. Country Manager
(and past GLR RC)
Wiki Profile

Post by GizmoGuy411
PesachZ wrote:Just a quick note to update for the big list I had to rename some ramps, "IS" and "Is" say is, instead of island.
Could you provide a PL example? There could be an issue related to other text in the Ramp name.
GizmoGuy411
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

U.S. Local Champ
U.S. Country Manager
(and past GLR RC)
Wiki Profile

Post by GizmoGuy411
Please check the Big List before making suggestions to add an abbreviation.

As an example, "Rev." already says "Reverend" and I just re-tested it to confirm it.

Please report the Permalink for any specific instances where the TTS results are different that what was expected.
GizmoGuy411
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

U.S. Local Champ
U.S. Country Manager
(and past GLR RC)
Wiki Profile

Post by GizmoGuy411
After over two years, the Big List, finally now has every entry tested.

The list may not yet include all of the latest suggestions we are preparing to submit to Waze.
GizmoGuy411
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

U.S. Local Champ
U.S. Country Manager
(and past GLR RC)
Wiki Profile