This is the place to discuss issues that are relevant for locations in the US. For any other discussions, please use the main forums.
qwaletee
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
US Champ / Country Manager | State Manager NY, NJ, PA, CT, MA, RI, VT, ME, NH | Northeast ARC | Mentor | Responding to Map Issues

Post by qwaletee
No, no, and no. When you have abbreviations that can easily conflict, you want to side with the most restrictive case which will produce the fewest false positives. I'm OK with LA-[0-9]{2-3] (regex match exactly LA- followed by exactly 2 digits or 3 digits), if it is asked for. But if you made LA by itself an abbreviation? You're asking for some road that abbreviates Los Angeles somewhere to be misread. I guarantee there are other similar issues for many abbreviations that would be nice to have.

Find a problem, solve the problem as narrowly as possible, and you will introduce the smallest number of false positive errors.
qwaletee
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
US Champ / Country Manager | State Manager NY, NJ, PA, CT, MA, RI, VT, ME, NH | Northeast ARC | Mentor | Responding to Map Issues

Post by qwaletee
Have we ever had a problem with X=10th before? Per the UR below, the X in Malcolm X Blvd was being pronounced "tenth." I don't know if this is an isolated occurrence. I imagine if it is a problem, it could be resolved by changing "X" to "X." (with a period).

https://www.waze.com/editor/?zoom=5&lat ... 35&endshow
qwaletee
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by qwaletee
So TTS finds two-letter state names comma-cle?

I'll see myself out.
qwaletee
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by qwaletee
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:
qwaletee wrote:Have we ever had a problem with X=10th before? Per the UR below, the X in Malcolm X Blvd was being pronounced "tenth." I don't know if this is an isolated occurrence. I imagine if it is a problem, it could be resolved by changing "X" to "X." (with a period).

https://www.waze.com/editor/?zoom=5&lat ... 35&endshow
'X' should be sufficient to say "ex" instead of "tenth."
SHould be. In this case, apparently wasn't.
qwaletee
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by qwaletee
How about one LESS space instead? Northern VA/Frederick instead of Northern VA / Frederick
qwaletee
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by qwaletee
Note that missing space before the first slash.
qwaletee
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by qwaletee
This is an old discussion.

Br can mean either Branch or Bridge in the real world. In TTS, unless there is some common pattern that would allow the TTS engine to differentiate the use cases, it has to be one or the other. Bridge is far more common, though Brg has much traction as well.

I'd be far more willing to sacrifice Branch to Bridge than the other way around. We can, perhaps, ask Waze to run us a report of every instance of "Br," and spell out all the Branch ones that we can find. It would be a big job, nonetheless, as each case would have to be examined, an determined to be Branch or Bridge.

Theoretically, yes, we could do it the other way around, and turn all Bridge instances of Br into Brg.
qwaletee
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by qwaletee
I would say NY/NJ uses poo-LAS-key. More bad pronunciation key donations appreciated.
qwaletee
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by qwaletee
I can see Divers being an issue, as it is also a word unto itself.
qwaletee
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message