Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
This is the place to discuss issues that are relevant for locations in the US. For any other discussions, please use the main forums.
Post by CBenson
PesachZ wrote:I've never seen branch referenced on a BGS myself but here are a bunch of bridges all in NYC
The problem is not that branch is referenced on a BGS, but rather whether it may appear on street signs (not that I've seen that either).

For what its worth the MdMUTCD (Maryland being the only state that has significantly added to the abbreviation list) received approval from the FHWA to add "Br" as an abbreviation for Branch.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.7.0.902

Post by CBenson
PhantomSoul wrote:I would say go by what the GS says, unless you have a good case for deviating from that.
Sure, but that doesn't address the problem that sometimes you only know what the meaning is by context. Should "Ct." be voiced as "Connecticut" or "court"? Should "NE" be voiced as "Nebraska" or "northeast"? Should "Penn" be voiced as "Pennsylvania" or "Penn"? Should "LA" be voiced as "Louisiana" or "Los Angles"? Should "Me" be voiced as "Maine" or "me"? Should "IN" be voiced as "Indiana" or "in"? Should "OR" be voiced as "Oregon" or "or"?

Thus, the idea that
sketch wrote:The reason to standardize on a particular list of abbreviations is that we can get that list set up as TTS abbreviations and guarantee that it will work that way.
remains valid even if you typically use what's on the GS. This would help if only to identify those circumstances where there is a good case for deviating from the GS.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by CBenson
doctorkb wrote:Sketch:
Divers is on the list of CanadaPost abbreviations that has been advocated as the "official" abbreviation list for Canada for several years.

*If* there exists a "Divers Lane", it could even be made better by "Diver's Lane" which is more likely to be the correct spelling anyhow.
They exist on the live map.
doctorkb wrote:"BUS" is also a proper word, but in all caps, it says "Business" -- how is that different?
Seriously? You answered in the question "but in all caps."
doctorkb wrote:Also "Nat" is supposedly pronounced "National" -- but what about a street named after Nat King Cole?
If we have problems with Nat King Cole (only King Cole Rd shows in a live map search) then we should adjust the abbreviation for National.
doctorkb wrote:The argument that "because it's a legitimate word" doesn't hold.
I disagree.
doctorkb wrote:If absolutely necessary, it could be set up as a "place in the string" sort of expansion:
Divers Lane is "Divers Lane"
whereas
Lane Divers becomes "Lane Diversion"
Sounds fine to me. But didn't this approach fail with St and Dr, thus we have St. for Saint and Dr. for Doctor?
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by CBenson
sketch wrote:I will advocate for the removal of "Nat" as "National".
Me too.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by CBenson
Yesterday, N was not voiced as "en" in this ramp name "to Baltimore-Washington Pkwy N / Baltimore / BWI Marshall Airport" found here.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by CBenson
Do we have any current indication that waze is working to fix the bug? N is voiced "en" for this segment named "Baltimore-Washington Pkwy N / to I-95 / Baltimore" as well.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by CBenson
Jane voiced "Trl" as "tee-arr-ell" for me here this morning.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by CBenson
Yes, it was that exact segment. It was a left turn. Maybe connection issues on my phone? I'll get this instruction again in the field and will see what happens.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by CBenson
voludu2 wrote:"Perrylawn" is pronounced "Pairalawn". I think the second syllable should be pronounced "ee"

https://www.waze.com/editor/?zoom=5&lat ... 26&env=usa
I always hear it with the "ee," maybe that's the only way my ears will hear it.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by CBenson
qwaletee wrote:
Poncewattle wrote:Just last week I was routed to a doctor that ended in PA (search result pulled from Google since there is no Waze place for it) and it said "You have arrived at Dr. Alfieri PA" but Jane pronounced it Pennsylvania.
I believe that's destination TTS, which does not use the same code as seg name TTS.
If so and if you are an app beta tester please add this as an example to Bug-1999 in Centercode.
Thanks.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message