This is the place to discuss issues that are relevant for locations in the US. For any other discussions, please use the main forums.
Post by sketch
Do you have a permalink to this? Separate signs is often a sign (pun not intended :? ) that the first segment should be unnamed and the second group of segments' names allowed to carry through to the first as well.

Most of the time, an exit will have only one sign, which may have a number of shields and cities. The rule for multiple signs in one instruction was drafted to parallel the behavior of one sign in one instruction. Consistency is important for those users who navigate by either highway numbers or city names—they'll expect to hear those parts in the same place each time.

I understand where you're coming from, though. I'd like to see this specific junction to assess whether leaving the first segment unnamed is a potential solution. I prefer to use it wherever practicable when there are two or more signs for the same exit, especially where those signs might give you a head start on knowing the better lane to be in.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
ALL US EDITORS READ: New USA road type guidance
the guidance linked above is now almost a decade old, but the link gives me a laugh every time i see it, so it stays (:
assistant regional coordinator • south central region • usa
waze global champ • beta leader • and more • new orleans

bye bye fuelly badge! i'm an EV guy now!

Post by sketch
This is a perfect candidate for leaving the first ramp segment unnamed. That way your first instruction will be "exit right" to whichever second ramp you're going to, then the second instruction will be "stay to the" whichever is appropriate.

This setup is discussed in the Junction Style Guide, under Highway/Freeway Junctions, Ramp to Ramp Splits, Naming.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
the guidance linked above is now almost a decade old, but the link gives me a laugh every time i see it, so it stays (:

Post by sketch
CBenson wrote:I had thought that "St." at the beginning of a name was voiced as "Saint." But this segment is currently spoken as "Street Stephens Church Road" for me.
Possibly because of the period? We have "St Claude Ave" here and it's always said "Saint", at least as far as I know. I go there relatively often.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by sketch
This has been reported in a few places around the forums. There's been some kind of bug propagating over the past couple months where "N" is not pronounced "north" after certain words — "Pkwy" and "Expy", for example, and I think perhaps in "Cesar Chavez N" as well.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by sketch
Possible, then, that instead of failing to pronounce it as "north" after certain words/abbreviations, it's failing to pronounce it as "north" except after certain words/abbreviations. Same result (as far as we know); different causation.

In other words, it seems more likely that something in there is telling it to say "north" after a given list of things (e.g., "St", "Blvd", any numbers) than it is that something in there is telling it not to say "north" after "Pkwy", "Expy", "Chavez", and "Turnpike".
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by sketch
Thortok2000 wrote:The main bug I have is that the TTS given of a destination when you've reached it seems to use a different TTS than the TTS of turn instructions.

As a turn instruction, 'Ave' is always Avenue, but as a destination, it rhymes with 'have.' =/
That may be the "at" instruction some of us here are/were so curious about. Short summary: Waze generates 2 TTS files for everything, one by itself and one with the "at" prefix, or something like that. I think the latter is for the destination, but we aren't certain.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by sketch
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:The map update cycle is failing on the NA server, but if there are existing segments which have the following abbreviations, please find a way to re-test client TTS and post the results:

Dr.
Penn
BUS
St.
Jr.
CR-###
Intl
Int'l
Nat'l
SH-###
Thwy
I think I removed most of the "Intl" and/or "Int'l"s from the map here, but there's a "Thwy" in Baton Rouge. I have Bluestacks but I don't really know how to pull the files or anything from there. I know there are some CR-xx examples in Michigan, maybe NW Lower Peninsula.

Any reason you want to retest these specific ones?

As for the "N" not making "North", Alan, I didn't experience it in real life until about a month ago, but I've now experienced it twice. Once was "Earhart Expy N", the other was "to Clearview Pkwy N".
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by sketch
Interesting. Status page says the delay is due to an infrastructural upgrade.

If I can get it to work, I will try to test "Thwy", and I'll look for "Intl" or "Int'l". But I think I just replaced it with "International" on the airport exit itself, and replaced "N O Int'l Airport" with "Airport" on relevant entrances, cause it wasn't worth the hoops or length ('N' O International Airport) to match the sign 1:1.

edit Tested it; "Thwy" is pronounced "thruway". Although I thought it already was.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by sketch
It's an Android emulator.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by sketch
CBenson wrote: I have reported this in the past for "Pkwy." However, this morning waze gave me correct directions of "Parkway South" for "Pkwy S"
I've only ever heard it reported for "N". So, "parkway n", but "parkway south", "parkway east", and "parkway west".
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message