Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
This is the place to discuss issues that are relevant for locations in the US. For any other discussions, please use the main forums.
Post by PhantomSoul
Is it possible that frequently encountered TTS data - like, say, reading the same phrases over and over again because you keep driving to work the same way - causes that TTS data to be accessed from a local cache?

In an unrelated observation, we seem to have a bunch of Tnl abbreviations on the Turnpike in northern NJ being read as its letters (tee en el), as opposed to Tunnel. This makes the Turnpike's references to the Holland and Lincoln Tunnels sound really weird. Is this a known bug/limit of the TTS and the Tnl abbreviation?
PhantomSoul
Local Champ Mentor
Local Champ Mentor
Send a message

Post by PhantomSoul
I'll try the new voice if you still need testers. iPhone here.
PhantomSoul
Local Champ Mentor
Local Champ Mentor
Send a message

Post by PhantomSoul
I'm not sure if this has been resolved yet or not, but I'm still getting the letter N pronounced as the letter N (instead of North) when it is the last word of a name and follows either the word Pkwy or Tpke, as in Garden State Pkwy N or New Jersey Tpke N. I have not seen this happen with S/South when used the same way.
PhantomSoul
Local Champ Mentor
Local Champ Mentor
Send a message

Post by PhantomSoul
Being that Pulaski is a foreign name (Polish), I would imagine that Waze would need some kind of rule to read the final i as the 2 e's in feet. Foreign names have always been a challenge for TTS systems everywhere...
PhantomSoul
Local Champ Mentor
Local Champ Mentor
Send a message

Post by PhantomSoul
Conn. = Connecticut

Mass. = Massachusetts

N.H. = New Hampshire

R.I. = Rhode Island

Del. = Delaware

Tenn. = Tennessee

Ala. = Alabama

Fla. = Florida
PhantomSoul
Local Champ Mentor
Local Champ Mentor
Send a message

Post by PhantomSoul
I would say go by what the GS says, unless you have a good case for deviating from that. For example, most of the Turnpike entrance signs in NJ have the word turnpike written out as a whole, with New Jersey abbreviated as NJ. So the Turnpike should be referenced as "NJ Turnpike" except when it appears on a BGS with lots of other roads, where it makes sense to shorten it to "NJ Tpk" to maximize how much of the ramp name will show in the client navigation banner. Both names are read the same way by TTS, but the difference just tries to improve the visual experience.

We have BGSes on I-287 in northern NJ that reference the Thruway in NY as "N.Y. Thruway" with the periods in N.Y. Southbound on the Garden State Pkwy approaching the Turnpike near Woodbridge, the sign still says "Del. Mem. Br." for the Delaware Memorial Bridge, and that exact phrase still will not be read by TTS correctly in Waze (I don't know if Mem. is a recognized abbreviation for Memorial). We have many old signs with legacy abbreviations all over the state here because according to NJDOT, a mere change to naming standards is not enough reason to replace an entire BGS. Even name changes often just get patched on the BGS with like a small plate that covers the old name with the new one.
PhantomSoul
Local Champ Mentor
Local Champ Mentor
Send a message

Post by PhantomSoul
Can we identify conflicting legacy abbreviations case by case and just not use those?
PhantomSoul
Local Champ Mentor
Local Champ Mentor
Send a message

Post by PhantomSoul
It seems like N isn't being pronounced correctly as North if it doesn't appear as the very last word of a road's entire entered name. Maybe it's related to the slash thing mentioned. "NJ Turnpike N / I-95 N" first N is pronounced incorrectly as N instead of North. "to Garden State Pkwy EXPRESS N / Woodbridge / North Jersey" the N after EXPRESS is incorrectly pronounced as N instead of North.
PhantomSoul
Local Champ Mentor
Local Champ Mentor
Send a message

Post by PhantomSoul
Is it possible that Dr is only being interpreted as Drive if it is the very last word in the road name?
PhantomSoul
Local Champ Mentor
Local Champ Mentor
Send a message

Post by pjlasl
Looking at TxDOT guide to sign elements, they don't recommend abbreviating Branch and Bridge isn't even on the list.
pjlasl
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message
[img]https:///EcBKq[/img] [img]https:///L6ziL[/img] [img]https:///pIzEJ8[/img]
AM: Texas
CM: USA
Champ: USA
Mentor: USA

Best Practices for Map Editing | Texas Wiki| Unlock Request for US | Mentoring