Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
This is the place to discuss issues that are relevant for locations in the US. For any other discussions, please use the main forums.
Post by sketch
Did that change? Because "St Claude Ave" works properly without the period here. Or at least it used to...
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
ALL US EDITORS READ: New USA road type guidance
the guidance linked above is now almost a decade old, but the link gives me a laugh every time i see it, so it stays (:
assistant regional coordinator • south central region • usa
waze global champ • beta leader • and more • new orleans

bye bye fuelly badge! i'm an EV guy now!

Post by sketch
Interesting. Wonder if it's relevant that it's the last word in the string.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
the guidance linked above is now almost a decade old, but the link gives me a laugh every time i see it, so it stays (:

Post by sketch
DwarfLord wrote:
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:Already, MT = "mountain" according to the big list.
Does this mean "Mt St Helens Dr" would TTS as "Mountain Saint Helens Drive"? In that case street names beginning with "Mount" should probably continue to spell it out.
Is that only for MT in caps though? I'm rather certain "Exit 2xx: N River Rd / Mt Clemens" is pronounced properly, as of late last year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by sketch
That was my suspicion — I couldn't check the spreadsheet earlier.

Test again before taking my word on it — it appears I spelled out "Mount" on the exit I was thinking of back in June. But I do recall seeing "Mt Clemens" and hearing it pronounced "Mount Clemens", correctly, perhaps before that.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by sketch
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:"St" at the beginning of a segment name is pronounced "saint"
I don't believe this to be a problem. As long as "St" is still pronounced "Street" at the end, before a slash, and before another abbreviation, it's fine. There are so many instances of "St", no period, meaning "saint" on the map that it would be a mistake to change the way "St" behaves without addressing them all.

Besides, wasn't the problem that "St"/"St." was being pronounced "Street" in the wrong places, not the other way around?
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by sketch
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:It may not be a problem generally but 1) we want 100% positional independence, and 2) I bet there is one street named street somewhere. :)
Ehhh... do we really though, in this case? Maybe, but it's going to be a mess. And if there's a street named Street, "Street" wouldn't be abbreviated anyway.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by sketch
Alan, have we included "BL" and "BS" for "Business Loop" and "Business Spur", or have we elected just to use "BUS" for Interstate business routes?

Also, how about "CONN" for Connector?

Related: Wiki update discussion for Road names/USA
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by sketch
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:
Ehhh... do we really though, in this case? Maybe, but it's going to be a mess. And if there's a street named Street, "Street" wouldn't be abbreviated anyway.
Perhaps not. I was going by our guidelines which have been "abbreviations do not vary based on where they are." We can start making a list of exceptions to this rule, or can stick to it.
Perhaps this should be the sole exception, simply because of the prevalence of "St Whatever Ave" and similar roads throughout the country. It's not worth causing such a storm of problems just so that we can stick to a principle.

Not that it's a bad principle, but when a principle applied too strictly leads to absurd results, its application should be reconsidered.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by sketch
I don't doubt that there is a legitimate interest in divorcing TTS expansion from position. And I'm not saying "St" should never be location-independent. But the map isn't ready.

If "St." is now "saint" we can get going on that sort of edit-a-thon. But I think some time should be allowed to pass before the change to the TTS is made. There should be some sort of balance here.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by sketch
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:I have also noted that "Mt" and "Mt." both say "mount" but "Mt." sounds ... strange. It takes longer to say "mount" and there's a longer space after the word. "Mt" should be the standard.
Periods should be generally avoided unless necessary for differentiation ("St."; "Dr.").
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message