Test of Text-to-Speech (TTS) Abbreviations in Waze Clients

[ img ] This is the place to discuss issues that are relevant for locations in the US. For any other discussions, please use the main forums.

Moderator: MapSir

Postby GizmoGuy411 » Sat Sep 22, 2012 12:09 am

Kuhlkatz wrote:
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:As is mentioned in this thread and elsewhere, we have no ability to influence TTS pronunciation. We have requested a phonetic field which would help in many cases, but would not likely be able to influence accents.

Alan,

The post reason was twofold. Confirmation that N# produces 'north number' in TTS despite no spacing and I'm interested to know if there is a current 'workaround' for this.

I'm not concerned about the accent, but it would be cool if Waze had this bit customized with voice files like Garmin and other providers.

The TTS override as discussed elsewhere is a good idea, but if the current Livemap does not even indicate reality, this is likely also far off.
It might actually happen in my lifetime still, you never know...

If you read back a couple of pages in this forum you will see the only work-a-round that we know of for pronouncing the letters N, E, S, and W. Not elegant or optimal, but it works.

The answer is also in the list.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
GizmoGuy411
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Postby GizmoGuy411 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:58 pm

mapcat wrote:Is it essential to have TTS say "Bureau of Indian Affairs Thirteen" for that road? What's wrong with calling it "be eye ay thirteen"? Or would TTS call that "by-ah thirteen" instead?

I would think that the letters "BIA" would be fine if the TTS results were predictable for letters. However even when all caps are used, results can be either the letters spoken or an attempt to make it a word. Adding spaces works with exception of the N E S W letters which result in the cardinal directions. So "B I A" should work for now at least. I suppose I should add a test for "B.I.A." too, so as to match the signage.
GizmoGuy411
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Postby kentsmith9 » Fri Aug 17, 2012 4:18 am

I thought I have recently heard some directions not be spelled out.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby kentsmith9 » Fri Aug 17, 2012 4:15 am

bgodette wrote:
WeeeZer14 wrote:There have been situations were Waze has cached the TTS audio files for frequently used streets/ramps. Users had to manually delete these files to get the effects of new TTS rules. I don't remember the details, but just wanted to point that out if you see slightly different pronunciation in different cases. It could be the case or it could be cached data.

Entering cc@tts into waze's search will clear the tts cache.

It's all my phone's fault for using Tapatalk.

I have been thinking about adding the known codes into the Wiki. I started collecting what I could find in the forums. I can create the Wiki page (unless someone knows it is there and I missed it) and add what I have found so far.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby kentsmith9 » Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:21 pm

Cord is what I will be wrapping around my neck if we go a second month with no map updates in NA.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby BrianCanFixIT » Sun Mar 04, 2012 4:51 pm

I've just encountered a sign with "Drwy" for Driveway. so I guess the other permutation for this would also be valid: drwy, drway.
BrianCanFixIT

Postby jasonh300 » Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:36 am

I think the idea is to test and figure out which abbreviations aren't pronounced properly and then get Waze to fix them.

If Waze pronounces "Main St" - "Main Saint", we aren't going to start spelling it "Main Str" to get it to work. TTS needs to work with the standardized abbreviations.

So if you think something is being pronounced strangely, post it here, GizmoGuy will put it into his test rig, and he'll spend the weekend following the next map update driving around a cow pasture listening to TTS and determining which ones need to be reported.

I'm not drunk...I'm using Tapatalk.
jasonh300

Postby banished » Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:45 am

Someone else suggested.

Absolutely...less is more.
banished
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby GizmoGuy411 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:07 pm

[Please note that this lead post is edited periodically to reflect updated information, with any changes highlighted in the color of the date that follows:]

Post edit history:
2014-08-24 The Big List is now maintained entirely as a Google document and it no longer sourced from an Excel file.
2014-08-16 Every entry in the Big List has now finally been tested. A number of new entries also added.
2014-03-06 Column added to List to differentiate ROUTING TTS from DESTINATION TTS results.
2013-09-16 Minor rewrites of various paragraphs.
2012-10-31
2012-09-24
2012-09-06
2012-08-20
(earlier post edit history not maintained)

This is a list of abbreviations and acronyms that are being added to two sandbox test rigs, to be tested in the Waze clients to learn their TTS output results for North America. (Jenncard maintained a second test rig.)

All tests are with the Nuance female "Samantha" voice only as used in North America. While we expect that the other English voice choice for NA, "Tom", is likely to use the same TTS databases, we have not tested for it.

The list includes all the official and alternate abbreviations of the United States Postal Service, all the English abbreviations for Canada Post, a subset of the French abbreviations for Canada Post, a subset from the U.S. Federal Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices plus a number of others suggested by Waze users. (Additional abbreviations from the MUCCD for individual U.S. States and from any equivalent list for Canadian Provinces, have not yet been compiled.)

Official abbreviation list sources for specific states or providences are linked from their respective names in the test list.

If you already know or learn any TTS results, please post them here. Please submit only results that you are absolutely sure of, with the exact spelling (including any capitalization) of the abbreviation, and the confirmed TTS output result.

Also submit any additional abbreviations that you feel should be part of the list for testing and/or for future inclusion in the TTS system.

Some current abbreviations such as "Penn" (which generates "Pennsylvania") should probably be removed from the TTS system in favor of using the capitalized two letter State and Province abbreviation standards. We should also discuss others for consideration that may need to be removed from the TTS.

To hear the most current TTS results from your Waze client device, it may be necessary to clear your current TTS cache. Enter "cc@tts" without quotes in the Navigation search to clear the cache. Waze should reply with a "TTS cache has been cleared!" popup box. Then wait for "Searching ..." to end.

This list will be updated periodically. (The initial list was submitted 2012-01-18, which took a month for Waze to process, and for us to test in the Waze Clients.)

Once we learn what the TTS currently knows, we can add the results of this list to the Wiki, plus
we can use it to submit our requested TTS "wishlist" changes to Waze. Please note that entries in this are for testing purposes and do NOT automatically imply that we endorse them. This list is primarily to research as many possible abbreviations that we can test to learn what Waze currently recognizes or not.

To learn how to hear the TTS files on your Android device manually, read the side notes in the following post: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=15178&p=144296#p144296

A section on Abbreviations has been added to the Waze Wiki. The link below takes you to a selection of countries. Select your country from the list and follow the links to the abbreviations in your country:
Editing Manual > How to label and name roads (by country)

In the United States you can go directly to the US Abbreviations and acronyms list.

Google Drive Spreadsheet:
Text-to-Speech (TTS) Abbreviations in Waze Clients - Test List for North America aka the "Big List" or the "Big TTS Test List".

Last edited by GizmoGuy411 on Wed May 09, 2012 6:42 pm, edited 32 times in total.
GizmoGuy411
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Strange TTS behavior

Postby GizmoGuy411 » Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:18 pm

jhfrontz reported to me that a street, called "Sulgrave Dr" was being pronounced "Sulgrace Dee Are" instead of "Sulgrave Drive".

I created two test roads with that name. One I cut and pasted the name directly from the original road, and the other I manually entered the name.

I finally got around to listening to the TTS, and my test roads produce the same results.

By coincidence, I also just discovered a road by the same name, on the other side of town from me. I'll have to drive it and see if it also produces the same results.
GizmoGuy411
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

PreviousNext

Return to United States