Test of Text-to-Speech (TTS) Abbreviations in Waze Clients

Image This is the place to discuss issues that are relevant for locations in the US. For any other discussions, please use the main forums.

Moderator: MapSir

Re: Test of Text-to-Speech (TTS) Abbreviations in Waze Clien

Postby weeezer14 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:45 am

Worst case (for single letters):

N N St N

Should be:
North Enn Street North

:D
iPhone 5s (AT&T) • iOS 7.0.3 • Waze 3.7.6.0
✰ Mega Driver ✰ Mega Mapper ✰ 1M Points ✰
Country Manager: USA • Regional Coordinator: USA South Atlantic (KY, TN, NC, SC)
Navigation/Routing ExpertForum Moderator
weeezer14

Postby GizmoGuy411 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:19 am

Timbones wrote:Does TTS not say "saint" when St is at the beginning, and "street" when it is at the end? This is how I'd expect it to work...

via TapaTalk

According to this post, it may not work that way:
leungjf wrote:Hello, all

I've come upon a peculiar problem in my area - St. Louis, MO.

I recently updated some of the entrance ramps to I-64 in the area to incorporate the control city per the Wiki. For example, "To I-64 E" became "To I-64 E St. Louis".

The changes finally went live with the last map update, and then I noticed the problem:

The abbreviation I used for "St. Louis" - "St." - is also the abbreviation for "Street" and the client's TTS is saying it as "I-64 East Street Louis". I haven't seen any postings with this problem (and please forgive me if there have been - still a bit new at this AM thing).

[Original post: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=15041]
ImageImageImageImage

U.S. based Global Champ
U.S. CM
U.S. Great Lakes RC: IL, IN, MI, OH, WI
AM: NW OH, NE IN, SE MI
Wiki Profile
Verizon: Galaxy S6 Edge w/ Android 5.1.1 & iPad "3" w/ iOS 8.2.0
GizmoGuy411
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Postby GizmoGuy411 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:27 am

I've added everyone's suggestions to the list, however I have not added anything to my sandbox yet. (Nor have I achieved any editing points in the last day! :( )

Among the items added were:
Doctor = Dr.
Junior = Jr.
Saint = St.

Following that convention I've also added the following for the time being:
C (cee) = C.
E (ee) = E.
N (en) = N.
S (ess) = S.
W (double-u) = W.

Additionally all the state and province abbreviations were added.

A link at the bottom of the spreadsheet to Post Canada shows their official abbreviations, that I will probably merge with the current list at a later time.
Last edited by GizmoGuy411 on Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImageImage

U.S. based Global Champ
U.S. CM
U.S. Great Lakes RC: IL, IN, MI, OH, WI
AM: NW OH, NE IN, SE MI
Wiki Profile
Verizon: Galaxy S6 Edge w/ Android 5.1.1 & iPad "3" w/ iOS 8.2.0
GizmoGuy411
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Postby harling » Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:58 pm

Having written my share of regexps and parsers, it occurrs to me that if we are going to use the period/full-stop '.' character to differentiate 'N' ("north") from 'N.' ("enn") or 'St' ("street") from 'St.' ("saint"), we also need to decide whether it should have to be followed by a space. For example, should it recognize 'St.Louis' (no space) as "Saint Louis"?

Unless someone can think of a good reason to allow '.' mid-word, I think the '.' should double as a delimiter (i.e., a space should not be required), if only for the sake of saving screen real estate. "N Street" would be written as either 'N.St' or 'N. St'.
Area Manager, Eastern MA & Southern NH. Country Manager, USA.
harling

Postby weeezer14 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:04 pm

And I think the period after the single letter indicating that it should be the letter is confusing. Plenty of signs out there that use N. to mean North and S. to mean South etc.

BTW, maybe we should find out how these are handled:
So. (South)
No. (North)
iPhone 5s (AT&T) • iOS 7.0.3 • Waze 3.7.6.0
✰ Mega Driver ✰ Mega Mapper ✰ 1M Points ✰
Country Manager: USA • Regional Coordinator: USA South Atlantic (KY, TN, NC, SC)
Navigation/Routing ExpertForum Moderator
weeezer14

Postby harling » Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:49 pm

WeeeZer14 wrote:And I think the period after the single letter indicating that it should be the letter is confusing. Plenty of signs out there that use N. to mean North and S. to mean South etc.

For the sake of clarity and reliability, you are right that we should try to minimize overloading (e.g., 'N' vs. 'N.'), and try to minimize positional semantics (e.g., handling "St" differently depending on where it appears). The more "common sense" we try to build into it, the more complicated the code is to implement it, and the more likely fixing one problem will break something else.
BTW, maybe we should find out how these are handled:
So. (South)
No. (North)

Those would be good options to reduce overloading in street names, but we still need to address how to write "enn street" in a way that is readable, without breaking the existing database that uses 'N' for "north".
harling

Postby jenncard » Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:10 pm

One of my cities out in the hinterlands is littered with "27 1/2 Rd", "D 1/4 Rd", or one of my personal favorites "E 50/100 Rd". Unfortunately, I've actually never Wazed there so I have NO IDEA what TTS does! That said, I've never seen a UR saying "should be one-half Rd not one {pause} two Rd".

I'd be happy to throw down some roads to test this out, but obviously don't want to muck up the local map. Gizmo, any tips on how you've set up your sandbox?
Recovering Waze addict, occasional driver and editor in LA.
jenncard

Location: Somewhere in Los Angeles, but probably on my bicycle

Postby bgodette » Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:23 pm

jenncard wrote:One of my cities out in the hinterlands is littered with "27 1/2 Rd", "D 1/4 Rd", or one of my personal favorites "E 50/100 Rd". Unfortunately, I've actually never Wazed there so I have NO IDEA what TTS does! That said, I've never seen a UR saying "should be one-half Rd not one {pause} two Rd".

I can tell you that when it comes to "Co Rd 3 1/2" what TTS says is "Co Road Three One Slash Two", with the Co as the first syllable of "cooperative", I have yet to change one of these to CR-3.5 or CR 3.5 to see what happens.
ImageImage
bgodette
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby harling » Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:29 pm

bgodette wrote:Basically there needs to be positional awareness for handling things like St, Dr, N/S/E/W. Can anyone think of a name where St isn't Saint unless it's at the end of the name and therefore Street? Same thing for Dr.

'Storrow Dr E' is supposed to be "storrow drive east", not "storrow doctor east" or "storrow doctor ee". And each time someone comes up with an example that we haven't anticipated, the rules (and code) become messier and harder to maintain.

All these conditions and exceptions are easy enough for a human to follow, but to a computer, context-sensitive grammars are brittle. Trust me, I have done this for a living. Better to start now with as straightforward and literal a system as possible, or it will turn into a perpetual problem, where fixing one case will break several others.
harling

Postby jenncard » Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:53 pm

Per The Chicago Manual of Style, the correct abbreviation for Doctor is "Dr." and Saint is "St." (just as Ph.D. and NOT PhD is the correct abbreviation for that which I seek) :geek:
Recovering Waze addict, occasional driver and editor in LA.
jenncard

Location: Somewhere in Los Angeles, but probably on my bicycle

PreviousNext

Return to United States