Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
This is the place to discuss issues that are relevant for locations in the US. For any other discussions, please use the main forums.
Post by qwaletee
sketch,

Are you saying to use these abbreviations even when BGS doesn't (i.e., a different abbreviation or fully spelled out)?
qwaletee
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
US Champ / Country Manager | State Manager NY, NJ, PA, CT, MA, RI, VT, ME, NH | Northeast ARC | Mentor | Responding to Map Issues

Post by qwaletee
Off topic, but I can't resist.

Near where I live are two streets that every map messes up. We have Boulevard (just plain, one word), and The Circle. Boulevard isn't so bad -- even if it is abbreviated "Blvd" most people can grok that as a complete name. But "The Cir" confuses the heck out of most newcomers.

It took me seconds to fix in Waze. It took me months to fix in Google and Bing.
qwaletee
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
US Champ / Country Manager | State Manager NY, NJ, PA, CT, MA, RI, VT, ME, NH | Northeast ARC | Mentor | Responding to Map Issues

Post by qwaletee
sketch wrote:I am ready to submit a bunch of old-fashioned state abbreviations with periods (avoid conflict) plus every state abbreviation specifically followed by a hyphen (to attempt to get rid of that nasty pause issue).

I have SPECIFICALLY EXCLUDED a few things from my submissions, including:

K-
M-
N-

because Kansas, Michigan, and Nebraska use those (respectively) for their state highways, and pronounce them as such, and

R.I.
B.C.

because the alternatives without periods are already expanded, so there needs to be a way to say just the letters (in case there's, say, a N.D. Somebody Rd somewhere).

Also, I propose to add the following as "N H", "N J", "N M" . . . "N B", because NH ... NB will already say the state/province name, and to avoid "north H", etc.

N.H.
N.J.
N.M.
N.Y.
N.C.
N.D.
S.C.
S.D.
N.B.
So to have an actual North H Street, we would have to spell out North?
qwaletee
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by qwaletee
OK, thanks, sketch. Might I suggest editing the following sentence to make that clear?
sketch wrote:Also, I propose to add the following as "N H", "N J", "N M" . . . "N B", because NH ... NB will already say the state/province name, and to avoid "north H", etc.
qwaletee
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by qwaletee
Better safe than sorry, especially as we don't know how responsive they'll be if it comes out wrong and we ask for additional changes.
qwaletee
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by qwaletee
Just waiting for the first international conflict with a dotted state abbreviation. Bwaaahhahha.

Seriously though, we have more than enough international conflict, I shouldn't jest. But I do. Coping mechanism.
qwaletee
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by qwaletee
I see at least 14 states that have at least one street with Buena in it.
qwaletee
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by qwaletee
Rich,

City names do not go to TTS. If they appear as control cities in BGS, those would indeed go TTS.
qwaletee
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by qwaletee
TheChrisK wrote:Hello!

Nebraska has three auxilliary state highway types, Links (L-##X), Spurs (S-##X) and Recreation Roads (R-##X). Recently I noticed that Nebraska Link 28B (L-28B) is translated by Jane as "EL TWO EIGHT BEE" instead of "NEBRASKA LINK TWENTY-EIGHT BEE"

I imagine the spurs and rec roads are being translated the in the same fashion but I have not navigated to one recently to know for sure.

PL: https://www.waze.com/editor/?env=usa&lo ... s=76193133

Let me know if you need more information.
Is this consistent across all L-nnX / S-nnX / R-nnX roads? Or have you found a single exception? The state wiki page claims that three formats are supported in TTS, but seems to indicate that there is always a 3-digit number, not 2-digits and a letter. If that's the format, then L-28B violates it.
qwaletee
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by qwaletee
voludu2 wrote:A UR reports that hoffmansville was mispronounced as "Houseman"

https://www.waze.com/editor/?env=usa&lo ... st=4801572

The UR will disappear soon. It states:
The diagonal Road is not houseman Road and is not straight across from New Hanover Square, Road
That's incorrect.

There was a BC to Hoffmansville before you fixed it, so at the time of the UR, there was no instruction for Hoffmansville. If you look, there's a nearby Houseman Rd to the northwest. That was probably part of the route.

Therefore, the driver was prompted for Houseman as the next turn, possibly as they approached the beginning of Hoffmansville. Due to the similarity of the names and the timing and the lack of instruction for Hoffmansville, the driver interpreted "Houseman" as a "bad Hoffmansville." They reported this as a bad road name, but apparently didn't notice that their expected keep/turn left was a turn right instruction!

Edit: Corrected a reference to Houseman - it had been written "Hoffman" (not Hoffmansville). Also corrected a misspelling of Houseman (Hoseman). The analysis is still the same.
qwaletee
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Last edited by qwaletee on Sun Oct 25, 2015 9:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.