Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
This is the place to discuss issues that are relevant for locations in the US. For any other discussions, please use the main forums.
Post by sketch
GizmoGuy411 wrote:I agree that we should reserve the period only for cases of ambiguity.

We do have "MT" in caps that is intended to say "Montana".

So while I think that is sufficient to differentiate it from "Mt", we can still add "Mt." to say "Mount", but only list "Mt" in our recommended abbreviation list.
Agreed.
Similarly, Alan also questioned my submission of "BUSN" for "Business" along with his prior submission of "BUS". I replied that we could indicate in the recommended list, that "BUS" should be used if signage says "BUS" or "BUSINESS", and only use "BUSN" when signage dictates.
Agreed mostly on this as well, but perhaps we should just use "BUS" to keep it consistent?

Aside: I also think we should maybe make "Expwy" the standard for "Expressway" — best to stick with the MUTCD where possible, IMO.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
ALL US EDITORS READ: New USA road type guidance
the guidance linked above is now almost a decade old, but the link gives me a laugh every time i see it, so it stays (:
assistant regional coordinator • south central region • usa
waze global champ • beta leader • and more • new orleans

bye bye fuelly badge! i'm an EV guy now!

Post by sketch
CBenson wrote:But the MUTCD doesn't approve of BUS does it?
No, but road signs are more spacious than the Waze display. The MUTCD also forbids abbreviating "North", "South", "East", and "West" when they refer to compass direction, but we do it because it saves considerable space on the client. Better to see "Exit 234A: US-90 BUS W / Westbank" than have "Exit 234A: US-90 Business West / Westbank" be cut off on the screen.

As long as "BUS" is pronounced "business" by TTS, I don't believe it'll be confusing. "BUS" for "business" has been asked for kinda often.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
the guidance linked above is now almost a decade old, but the link gives me a laugh every time i see it, so it stays (:

Post by sketch
According to Chat, apparently "FM" and "RM", which are used by the state of Texas to designate "farm-to-market" and "ranch-to-market" roads, are being pronounced "Federated States of Micronesia" and "Room".

FM and RM roads in Texas are essentially a supplemental state highway system, like Missouri's "lettered" supplemental routes. They are all paved, with speed limits up to 75 mph, and many of them serve as major highways. They are named such as "FM 1234".

Can we have "FM" added as "farm-to-market" and "RM" as "ranch-to-market"?
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by sketch
GizmoGuy411 wrote:Didn't you know you are now an island to yourselves? :shock:
Tell everyone it is a late Apri Fools joke.

Actually we are looking at what can be done short of just reverting "FM" back.

Would the format "FM-xxx" work, or are you way too invested in "FM xxx" without the hyphen?
So FM - Fed States of Micronesia was a purposeful change? Is "FM" ever used on a road to mean Fed States of Micronesia?

"SR" and "SH" don't depend on whether there's a hyphen, do they? Relying on the hyphen is too opaque imo.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by sketch
AlanOfTheBerg wrote: And, yeah, IMO, I don't know why we would ever really need any state name in segment names, but I'm sure it exists somewhere.
There's definitely an exit on I-59 in Mississippi (or maybe Georgia) that lists "Something, Ala." as one of its destinations served.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by sketch
Other considerations too, like do we really want LA to say "Louisiana"? Everyone here says "L A one", "L A forty-eight", and so forth.

I believe the idea was to get this done so we could use state abbreviations for state highways. Not that that's perfect. Some states would prefer SR or SH I'm sure — but the benefit of that is that we could get state-specific shields for every state. BUT of course it won't work for Nebraska.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by sketch
All I'm saying is that we should consider each state abbreviation individually. If it's best that MD say Maryland, so be it. If people say "N C x" for NC state highways, keep the letters for that state.

We also don't want to be using "MI" instead of "M" for Michigan state highways because they're unequivocally referred to as "M-x". But for other states, it would be useful, like Maryland.

Obviously we can't achieve full parity because of Nebraska/northeast, so we might as well be accommodating.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by sketch
I think we are all experiencing the same problem there. HD's name, and the period, are only on the southernmost segment. I tried myself.

Probably related to the "ghost segments" issue and this issue (check out my video in post 4) and whatever else.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by sketch
GizmoGuy411 wrote:I'm out of the loop for 12 hours. Alan and I both told Waze that "BUS" failed in several tests, and Alan told them of the "Saint vs Street" failures. So the request for corrections are in the loop.
Is "BUS" failing only at the end of a string (or equivalent, before a slash)? Or is it some other way?

It worked for me here:

sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by sketch
Ah, I see. Yeah — he told me that in chat after I posted here. It wasn't mentioned in this thread.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message