This is the place to discuss issues that are relevant for locations in the US. For any other discussions, please use the main forums.
Post by sketch
beej666 wrote: since you already have the list, why not post it somewhere? i guess this dead horse is tired of being kicked, but i just hate to see all this back and forth yield nothing tangibly good :-/

cheers,
marc
Good name.

Well, we do have a publicly-available big list in the OP of this thread that has all the abbreviations we've tested and wanted to test, although it's a bit cumbersome and doesn't actually track our requests. I'll talk with GG about putting together a public list where we can track requests etc.

-Marc
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
ALL US EDITORS READ: New USA road type guidance
the guidance linked above is now almost a decade old, but the link gives me a laugh every time i see it, so it stays (:
assistant regional coordinator • south central region • usa
waze global champ • beta leader • and more • new orleans

bye bye fuelly badge! i'm an EV guy now!

Post by sketch
PesachZ wrote:"Bronx River Pkwy N / White Pains" no longer pronounces the pause where the slash is.

Sent using Tapatalk for Android 4.4.2
Same with "to Causeway Blvd N / Mandeville". Seems only to be slashes following N.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
the guidance linked above is now almost a decade old, but the link gives me a laugh every time i see it, so it stays (:

Post by sketch
No jailbreak necessary. You can get to it using iFunBox or another iOS file browser. Although I will have to find another iOS file browser before I get you the directory as it appears that iFunBox is not currently working with 10.10.3...

Are you a client beta tester? We are not focusing on Samantha very much these days . . .
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by sketch
abc1357 wrote:There is a restaurant named "Va de Vi". Unfortunately, Waze pronounces it as "Virginia de Vi". What's the best way of fixing? Could I put it in as "Va. de Vi" as the primary to aid pronunciation and put in "Va de Vi" as alternate name to enable search?

Unfortunately, unlike road segments, there is no "voice" button next to it to test. So I have to wait for a tile update AND drive over there to test....
No, this should be handled by the TTS team. "Va" with no period and a lowercase "a" should be pronounced as a word. (And "Va."—an accepted, if old-fashioned, abbreviation—should be pronounced as "Virginia")
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by sketch
Oranges13 wrote:Here's a broken pronounciation:

Street name is "Riley Ridge" should be abbreviated "Riley Rdg" but TTS says Arr Dee Gee.

https://www.waze.com/editor/?env=usa&lo ... s=87888722
"Rdg" is not a supported abbreviation. The street should be named "Riley Ridge".

We do not follow signs verbatim in the case of abbreviations. See, for example, any freeway sign (always "North" on BGS, always "N" on Waze).
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by sketch
Not exactly, but hopefully not long. We got a hold of staff and they are now working on it actively.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by sketch
AndyPoms wrote:Just got a UR that says "Opas" is not being changed to "Overpass". Tested in WME & I get "Oh-Pus" (like Mr. Holland's Opus).

"Opas" is on the list of working abbreviations from the first post in this (incredibly long) thread.
Read the very first line of the sheet. Those test results are from Samantha, not Jane.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by sketch
ramblinwreck_81 wrote: Any resolution on this one? ("Cmns" is pronounced "C M N S")

https://www.waze.com/editor/?env=usa&lo ... s=74362145
"Commons" should be spelled out.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by skreidle
This TTS issue likely affects any drivers who travel I-95 in VA and use exit 89 (Lewistown Rd). subs5 suggested I post this here.

UR: https://www.waze.com/editor/?zoom=5&lat ... 87&env=usa

Waze app (iOS, app v4.7.0.2) has been mispronouncing "Lewistown" as "Luh-WEES-town" -- until I got to the exit ramp, at which point it was the correct "LOO-iss-town". Spelling and punctuation are consistent; TTS cache has been cleared w/no change.

(I've experienced a similar issue approaching Lewiston Rd from Fairview Rd here -- https://www.waze.com/editor/?env=usa&lo ... s=73424264 -- at least twice, but a cache clear resolved that. (It was pronouncing "LOO-iss-tun" as "Luh-WEES-tun".))
skreidle
Send a message

Post by skreidle
Another non-critical pronunciation issue, unless this occurs anywhere there's a "Patrick" in a road name.

This has occurred multiple times in the area between Montpelier, VA and Ashland, VA

URs: https://www.waze.com/editor/?zoom=5&lat ... 50&env=usa
https://www.waze.com/editor/?zoom=5&lat ... 52&env=usa

Waze app (iOS, app v4.7.0.2) has frequently been mispronouncing "Patrick" as "PAY-trick" regarding "W Patrick Henry Rd", both in the "Let's take..." starting navigation, as well as approaching turns onto that road -- though it pronounces it correctly *at* the turn. Spelling and punctuation are consistent; TTS cache has been cleared w/no change.
skreidle
Send a message