Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
This is the place to discuss issues that are relevant for locations in the US. For any other discussions, please use the main forums.
Post by AlanOfTheBerg
GizmoGuy411 wrote:
AndyPoms wrote:...does anyone know a way to keep some form of "N. Y." (NY, N.Y., etc) for the display and get it to read "New York" in the TTS?
Look at the abbreviation list linked in the lead post of this thread. I think it has been updated to include the abbreviation for New York that works.
Or don't keep the form and spell out New York...
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
There is an update request here which suggests that "cord" is being pronounced "county road" by Waze TTS. That's utterly ridiculous. Too bad map updates take so long to allow us to verify.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
invented wrote:I think it's pronouncing "(E)" as "Eee" again. -.-
Really? That'd be nice. I've been changing many to 'e' (and 'n', 'w' or 's') as that was the only option which worked. Where did you hear/see this?
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
binkowski wrote:SIAP, but the abbreviation "Gd" for "Grand" is used quite a bit on Michigan highway signs. Any chance of adding this to the abbreviation list? For instance, "Gd" is used sometimes (but not always) for Grand Rapids and Grand River.
(Do the) The signs actually read "Gd Rapids" and "Gd River"? Either way, I don't see a good reason why we should abbreviate it. It's not like it takes up a lot of screen space to spell out Grand vs Gd and who knows if/when Waze will ever update the abbreviations list. It's better to have it read it out loud correctly than have the text match the sign 100%, IMO.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
I'm pretty sure I've heard most of those abbreviations such as 22nd, 31st, 44th, etc., fully pronounced correctly. I know for certain that roads like "209th Ave" are correctly pronounced, in the US, as "two oh ninth avenue" and 175th and 185th are "one hundred seventy-fifth" and "one hundred eighty-fifth" as you would expect.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
GizmoGuy411 wrote:
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:I'm pretty sure I've heard most of those abbreviations such as 22nd, 31st, 44th, etc., fully pronounced correctly. I know for certain that roads like "209th Ave" are correctly pronounced, in the US, as "two oh ninth avenue" and 175th and 185th are "one hundred seventy-fifth" and "one hundred eighty-fifth" as you would expect.
That is good to hear Alan. (pun intended)

Do you recall hearing any specific combinations such as "1st St" or "3rd Rd", as those type of combinations with similar suffixes are the ones that I think would be most likely to fail.
I have not found a "3rd Rd" but I do have a "E 1st St" in my town and it does pronounce it "east first street" as we would hope.

I think it would still be worth it to verify things like 41st St, 141st St, and other combinations that combine "rd" and "Rd" like 33rd Rd, 63rd Rd, etc. I would figure if one or two pass, others will too.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
GizmoGuy411 wrote:Just confirmed a "101st St" in my area. So far so good. I'll have to add it specifically to the list.

No luck finding any "xxxrd Rd" yet that I can drive to however.
I found one in my state so far, but it's not exactly near by.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
And I kinda went near this one in Idaho a month ago...
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
harling wrote:
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:I think it would still be worth it to verify things like 41st St, 141st St, and other combinations that combine "rd" and "Rd" like 33rd Rd, 63rd Rd, etc. I would figure if one or two pass, others will too.
I'm willing to bet that "33rd Rd" and "33 rd Rd" will be pronounced differently.
I would expect that as well. Because it is not formatted properly.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
GizmoGuy411 wrote:jhfrontz reported to me that a street, called "Sulgrave Dr" was being pronounced "Sulgrace Dee Are" instead of "Sulgrave Drive".
I've had TTS do this to Dr before too, but then with the same segment two minutes later on a return trip, pronounced it as "drive."
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message