Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
This is the place to discuss issues that are relevant for locations in the US. For any other discussions, please use the main forums.
dknight212
Send a message

dknight212
Send a message

Post by dmcconachie
In my humble opinion, "N St" should be "North St". In this case it's the name not a prefix or suffix!
dmcconachie
Send a message
dmcconachie • Former Global Champ

UK WikiUK FB PageCurrent status

Post by dmcconachie
You can find the engine being used in the preferences file. One of our users (Xteejx) located it and tried sending commands manually but it didn't even adjust for "St" as "Street". Waze is clearly intervening in the command before it is sent to the engine!
dmcconachie
Send a message

Post by dmcconachie
Sounds like everything is there. I don't see why you wouldn't add an extra field to override the TTS. Default (grey out the field) to the street name but allow overrides!
dmcconachie
Send a message

Post by doctorkb
taddison1 wrote:A street near me, called "Ira E Woods" was/is being pronounced "Ira East Woods". The "E" is a middle initial, not a direction, so it needs to say "eee" instead of "East".

I looked at the spreadsheet, and it seems to suggest that adding a period after the E would cause it to say "eee", but then there's an accompanying note that says "n/a See East" which seemed contradictory.

Regardless, I recently added the the period, but last time I drove there it still said "East". Should this have worked? Do I just need to clear my tts cache and try again? If it makes a difference, I'm on IOS, not Android.

Perhaps the answer is already in this thread; I've skimmed through some of it but there are 53 pages so forgive me if I missed it :?

Thanks,
taddison1
Try 'E' (with the single quotes)
doctorkb
Answers: 4
Send a message

Post by doctorkb
dbraughlr wrote:
sketch wrote:Street names should still match signs. If it says "Louis XIV" use "Louis XIV". No one is going to think to search for their aunt's house at 1234 Louis The 14th St", and it's going to look wrong on the client display.
So where the signs say "First St", "Second St", etc, and Waze has "1st St", "2nd St", etc, that is wrong, looks wrong in the client, and causes searches to fail? Is this written is our road naming standard somewhere?
I guess that depends on the consistency of street signs.

I think you'll find some areas that have all of these for the same street at different intersections:
First St
1st St
1 St

(not to mention any directional/cartesian ones)

-- which is correct? Do you expect to change it at every intersection depending on the sign that's there?
doctorkb
Send a message

Post by doctorkb
Sketch:
Divers is on the list of CanadaPost abbreviations that has been advocated as the "official" abbreviation list for Canada for several years.

*If* there exists a "Divers Lane", it could even be made better by "Diver's Lane" which is more likely to be the correct spelling anyhow.

"BUS" is also a proper word, but in all caps, it says "Business" -- how is that different?

Also "Nat" is supposedly pronounced "National" -- but what about a street named after Nat King Cole?

The argument that "because it's a legitimate word" doesn't hold.

If absolutely necessary, it could be set up as a "place in the string" sort of expansion:
Divers Lane is "Divers Lane"
whereas
Lane Divers becomes "Lane Diversion"
doctorkb
Send a message

Post by doctorkb
CBenson wrote:
doctorkb wrote:"BUS" is also a proper word, but in all caps, it says "Business" -- how is that different?
Seriously? You answered in the question "but in all caps."
doctorkb wrote:If absolutely necessary, it could be set up as a "place in the string" sort of expansion:
Divers Lane is "Divers Lane"
whereas
Lane Divers becomes "Lane Diversion"
Sounds fine to me. But didn't this approach fail with St and Dr, thus we have St. for Saint and Dr. for Doctor?
I'm not sure what happened with the positioning approach. I have seen (and I'm fuzzy on specifics) where "N" doesn't become "North" -- perhaps it was "N Rd" was said "enn Road"? I assumed this was positioning...

I'm ok with DIVERS as the accepted abbreviation here, if we're going to be sticky on not having TTS follow the standard that has been published in the Waze wiki for YEARS... i.e. June 2011 ( https://wiki.waze.com/wiki/index.php?ti ... ldid=11667 ) because of a small handful of conflicts (spotted a half-dozen in the Livemap search)...

Nat, on the other hand shows:
Nat Washington Way
Nat Turner Boulevard
Nat Hoosier Lane
Nat Turner St (different from the Blvd)
Nat Ln

And the search runs out of spots to add more...
doctorkb
Send a message

Post by doctorkb
sketch wrote:NA TTS doesn't apply just to Canada, we have to use it down here too. The Wiki isn't always right, and it was even less right the further back you go in its history.
That's fine, and it's just as possible for us to have a "Divers Lane" as you. The point being made is that this list was devised and was supposed to be followed for the last three years, with no-one bothering to point out this exception.

I'm actually more keen on establishing a standardized list of abbreviations that work in both the US and Canada (i.e. take official CanadaPost and USPS lists and resolve any differences), and making the result a Waze standard...
I will advocate for the removal of "Nat" as "National". I don't know why you are arguing as if I am saying that it should be there. The Big List is a compilation of test results. It is NOT a list of how we WANT things to be, it is a list of how things ARE.
Fair enough. Personally, I'd prefer to see the majority usage prevail... rather than pandering to the off-case situations. I have as many DIVERSIONS in Vancouver, BC as seem to be found in Livemap for all of NA with the string "Divers".
doctorkb
Send a message