Test of Text-to-Speech (TTS) Abbreviations in Waze Clients

[ img ] This is the place to discuss issues that are relevant for locations in the US. For any other discussions, please use the main forums.

Moderator: MapSir

Re: TTS and shield for FS-

Postby sketch » Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:29 pm

dbraughlr wrote:Let's just suppose that someone is uninitiated, lost, and confused. What's the difference between "Turn right onto [unintelligible] road 123" and "Turn right onto [unintelligible] 123"?

For lack of a better expression, "This."

We've had a lot of discussion here on state route naming and abbreviation standards, and while a lot of it is good, some of the arguments (especially SR-/"state route" vs. State Hwy) aren't very convincing, I think. So everyone says "highway" instead of "route" in whatever state, I really don't think anyone's going to be very confused when Waze tells them to turn on "State Route 526" when they think of it as "Highway 526". There's a sign with some shape and the number "526" on it. Unless that state's DOT is particularly sadistic, there aren't going to be three roads with the same number at that intersection.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Re: TTS and shield for FS-

Postby dbraughlr » Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:00 pm

In case this is a poll, I vote for "Forest Service". It doesn't seem strange or confusing to me, certainly not as strange as "Turn right onto Old William Pennsylvania Highway" or "Turn left onto Tee 800".

People who aren't familiar with these "roads" should have think about it before turning onto one.

Many of the roads have a normal name ending in "Trl" which is what will be pronounced in most cases. FS-nnxnn should be used to generate a shield because the route # is always important.

Let's just suppose that someone is uninitiated, lost, and confused. What's the difference between "Turn right onto [unintelligible] road 123" and "Turn right onto [unintelligible] 123"?

Half the time, I don't know what Waze is saying anyway. When it says turn, either I see the road and I turn, or I glance at the map to see where Waze thinks I should turn.
dbraughlr

Re: TTS abbreviations which are standalone words outright

Postby dbraughlr » Mon Feb 03, 2014 3:35 am

GizmoGuy411 wrote:Penn for Pennsylvania was moved from the main list to the State abbreviation list where it belongs

Penn => Pennsylvania belongs on the list to be deleted.

GizmoGuy411 wrote:Camino=Cam

This is another conflict. You cannot use a combination of letters of a real word as an abbreviation for another word. If you want to do that, you'll have to include the period or something which makes it distinct. See Penn => Pennsylvania above.
dbraughlr

Re: That is a ____

Postby vectorspace » Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:46 am

dbraughlr wrote:...It is not a Forest Service road, it is a trail designated by the Forest Service.
"FS-" = "Forest Service trail"...

Yes... this was another reason I truncated FSR-XXX to FS-XXX because they have trails and roads. I am not advocating mapping "trails" but wanted something that was more generic that could handle both if the path would work in Waze. I just wasn't sure of the exact protocol, if any, between "road" and "trail" at this point. The online GIS system let's you pick type of vehicle to see which roads it can travel on, so that's kind of cool.
vectorspace

Re: That is a ____

Postby dbraughlr » Tue Feb 11, 2014 6:17 pm

Thortok2000 wrote:Look at the road.

Point at it.

Begin the sentence: "That is a..."

I could let you play that game with many roads.
I-80 Bus W is a __________.
Broadway is a __________.

The Forest Service calls their own roads trails. But that is no guarantee that they are passable or reasonable. I don't know of any that should be used mid-route. They are roads only in the sense that a logging road is a road.
For safety reasons, equestrian travel is NOT RECOMMENDED on the following trails: Bear Canyon 12W08, Burkhart 10W02, Creekside 11W11, Devil’s Canyon 11W07, First Water 11W14.B, Indian 11W18, Kenyon Devore 11W13, Lower Sam Merrill 12W14.1, Lower Winter Creek 11W15, Middle Sam Merrill 12W14.2, National Forest 11W10, Nature’s Canteen 12W03A, Rim 11W28, Twin Peaks 10W04.A, Upper Sam Merrill 12W14.3, Upper Winter Creek 11W23, Zion 11W17 Station Fire Closure- Burton 12W19, Colby Canyon 12W23, Colby Canyon 12W23.1, Condor Peak 13W05, Dawn Mine 12W13, Fall Creek 12W02, Gold Canyon 13W06, Stone Canyon 13W07, Strawberry 12W05.2, Strawberry Peak 12W05.1, Tom Sloan 12W22, Trail Canyon 13W03, World of Chaparral 12W03.
-fs.usda.gov. (The word "trail" is omitted from the end of every name in this list, e.g., Trail Canyon Trail.)

It is not a Forest Service road, it is a trail designated by the Forest Service.
"FS-" = "Forest Service trail".

Thortok2000 wrote:I don't think it harms anything to have the couple extra words.

1. It causes a delay until Waze gets to the part of the instruction that the driver really does need to hear.
  2. It makes instructions so long that Waze cannot say them twice in 500'.
    There are exits which have such long names that Waze doesn't finish them before it is time to repeat the instruction.

With FS-12W05.2, an extra word makes it more cumbersome.
dbraughlr

Re: Test of Text-to-Speech (TTS) Abbreviations in Waze Clien

Postby kjg53 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:10 am

Mispronunciation of "Park Row".
Permlink

Voice: English (US) - Jane
Says: Park R-ow It sounds more like Rowl than Row.
Should Be: Park Row
kjg53
Map Raider
Map Raider

Postby ydog98 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:11 am

Mispronunciation of "Lakeline Blvd"

Voice: English (US) - Jane
Says: lake-lenn
Should be: lake-line

Interestingly, nearby "S Lakeline Blvd" and N Lakeline Blvd are pronounced correctly, so the presence of an N/S designator seems to make a difference.
ydog98

Postby Rfrsw101 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:12 am

Mispronunciation of "Koch" - a former NYC mayor - by Jane (US)

Says: Coke (or sometimes people hear Koh) --> Should be pronounced: Kach (like watch)
Last edited by Rfrsw101 on Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rfrsw101
State Manager
State Manager

Postby Bigbear3764 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 1:01 am

Mispronunciation of Busse

Should be pronounced Buss-ee

Mispronunciation of Ela

Should be pronounced E-La
Bigbear3764
Country Manager
Country Manager

Postby Onmywaysir » Sat Jul 08, 2017 3:58 am

Problem with Airpark Dr in Redding, CA - it sounds like Airpok Dr in the App. You can also hear it said incorrectly in WME.

PL- https://www.waze.com/editor/?env=usa&lo ... s=83169264

Thanks!
Onmywaysir
Area Manager
Area Manager

PreviousNext

Return to United States