Test of Text-to-Speech (TTS) Abbreviations in Waze Clients

Image This is the place to discuss issues that are relevant for locations in the US. For any other discussions, please use the main forums.

Moderator: MapSir

Re: Test of Text-to-Speech (TTS) Abbreviations in Waze Clien

Postby mapcat » Sun Jan 22, 2012 3:42 pm

banished wrote:
bmitch3020 wrote:Label: Geo Wash Pkwy
TTS: George Washington Parkway.

Label: Geo. Wash. Pkwy = TTS: George Washington Pkwy

Rationale: "Wash" is not wholly uncommon word in street names.

In cases such as this it makes much more sense to change the street name, IMO. If we acknowledge that some street names can be shortened, and not just commonly abbreviated prefixes/suffixes/directionals, we'd only over-complicate things, with little upside.
CM, USA/Canada ∙ iPhone 5 ∙ iOS 7.1
mapcat

Postby banished » Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:16 am

AlanOfTheBerg wrote:I know that NW, SW, NE, SE work fine as a prefix and are fully pronounced as you'd expect.

Yes, I meant to include those. But other than a very small set of abbreviations, such as those, it makes sense to put a period after words not contained in that set, e.g., "Dr." for doctor and "Dr" for drive; "Wash." for Washington, and "wash" (no period) for wash, as in Wash Ave.
GC, New England ARC
banished
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:32 am

banished wrote:
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:I know that NW, SW, NE, SE work fine as a prefix and are fully pronounced as you'd expect.

Yes, I meant to include those. But other than a very small set of abbreviations, such as those, it makes sense to put a period after words not contained in that set, e.g., "Dr." for doctor and "Dr" for drive; "Wash." for Washington, and "wash" (no period) for wash, as in Wash Ave.

I feel, as mapcat noted, that we should not be going hog wild on things like Wash. vs Wash and Geo vs. George. The smaller set of abbreviations, the better. If it's Wash, it's always Wash, otherwise spell out Washington if that's what it is.
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Country Manager | iPhone6 - VZ - iOS 9.3.1 | Waze v4.4.9904
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Test of Text-to-Speech (TTS) Abbreviations in Waze Clients

Postby banished » Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:45 am

Someone else suggested.

Absolutely...less is more.
GC, New England ARC
banished
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby GizmoGuy411 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:02 am

Less is better is also my opinion.. However for the purposes of this list more is better to learn how the TTS works. Then we can make our suggestions to Waze including everything we think that should be pruned.

Also looked into Nuance some more and found their product called Vocalizer that specifically included our two voice choices; Samantha, and Tom.

Interestingly Waze x.120 has voice files that include a canned set of English and Hebrew prompts? Many that I have never heard before.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
ImageImageImageImage

U.S. based Global Champ
U.S. CM
U.S. Great Lakes RC: IL, IN, MI, OH, WI
AM: NW OH, NE IN, SE MI
Wiki Profile
Verizon: Galaxy S6 Edge w/ Android 5.1.1 & iPad "3" w/ iOS 8.2.0
GizmoGuy411
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Postby bmitch3020 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:15 pm

banished wrote:
bmitch3020 wrote:Label: Geo Wash Pkwy
TTS: George Washington Parkway.

Any abbreviation other than the standard N, E, W, S, St, Rd, Ave, Dr., etc., needs to include a period. For example,

Label: Dr = TTS: Drive
Label: Dr. (note the period) = TTS: doctor

Label: Geo. Wash. Pkwy = TTS: George Washington Pkwy

Rationale: "Wash" is not wholly uncommon word in street names.

I picked Geo Wash Pkwy on purpose because it's such a bad example. Trying to code the TTS for every situation like this would be a mistake. Like I said, we need a TTS override field where we can enter what is said, and still allow us to match the labels to the BGS.

(Sorry for not keeping up with the conversation, it seems that forum notifications are among the list of things that are breaking lately.)
Brandon
Northern Virginia Area Manager
bmitch3020

Postby GizmoGuy411 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 5:26 pm

The results are back for the first abbreviations that were tested that started with the letters "A" and "B".

It is a slow process to test, as I need to drive to the location, and use my Android device to hear the TTS output. Then I need to hunt down the TTS file created and copy it to my PC. Each road in the sand box test rig has multiple abbreviations separated by spaces and slashes. Since slash marks still do not produce a pause, the playback needs to be slowed down and listened to repeatedly until each abbreviation can be heard. So far I have not been able to find the TTS files in iPad. (Slashed have now been replaced with commas to help in this process.)

I have not yet added any suggestions from this thread to the test rig in the sand box, as I wanted to experiment with the initial submissions first. I will also test to see if commas create a pause, and if colons create pauses all the time or just after the word "Exit".

Now that I have a process, hopefully I can test the results of the remainder of the initial submissions soon. Once complete, I'll submit the remainder of the abbreviations in the list, and add those suggested in this tread.

The link to the file has changed to:
The https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc ... TRzYUhGN0E
(I'll try to figure out how to to change the document without changing the link in the future. [DONE])

As a side note, GizmoGuy411 wrote:
For those interested in playing the TTS files on their PC, I've tried several audio players to attempt to slow down the playback without changing the pitch. Audacity had the capability, however the playback of the TTS files (in AAC file format) was distorted, even in normal play. I eventually gave up and just used Windows Media Player, which at least allowed me to slow down the playback. Since I use the Nuance Samantha voice in Waze, she was still understandable at slow speeds. Although she sounds like she should have gave up smoking many years ago.

[Update: If I append a dot MP2 or dot MP4 to the TTS file name, the WM player adjusts the pitch automatically as the speed is slowed down. Now she just sounds like she is off the cigs and on some bad drugs.]

[2012-08-20 Update: To hear the most current TTS results from your Waze client device, it may be necessary to clear your current TTS cache. Enter "cc@tts" without quotes in the Navigation search to clear the cache. Waze should reply with a "TTS cache has been cleared!" popup box. Then wait for "Searching ..." to end.]

If you would like to hear the TTS files on your Android device, I would recommend using the "ES File Explorer" app.: https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... oid.pop&hl

Navigate to /sdcard/waze/tts/database/lucal_nuance_8_mp3_Samantha_Female or /sdcard/waze/tts/database/local_nuance_8_mp3_Tom_Male to see the files. The file path may be slightly different with different os verions.

The file explorer actually has an audio player that will play the files fine.

So far I have not found a way to see the files directly on an Apple iOS device.
Last edited by GizmoGuy411 on Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:04 pm, edited 14 times in total.
ImageImageImageImage

U.S. based Global Champ
U.S. CM
U.S. Great Lakes RC: IL, IN, MI, OH, WI
AM: NW OH, NE IN, SE MI
Wiki Profile
Verizon: Galaxy S6 Edge w/ Android 5.1.1 & iPad "3" w/ iOS 8.2.0
GizmoGuy411
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Postby weeezer14 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 5:43 pm

Here is another non-standard item to add... the Great Smoky Mountains National Park is in my back yard and most/all signs use the form "Smoky Mts" which I can tell you TTS right now says as "Smoky emm tee ess".
iPhone 5s (AT&T) • iOS 7.0.3 • Waze 3.7.6.0
✰ Mega Driver ✰ Mega Mapper ✰ 1M Points ✰
Country Manager: USA • Regional Coordinator: USA South Atlantic (KY, TN, NC, SC)
Navigation/Routing ExpertForum Moderator
weeezer14

Postby jenncard » Tue Feb 14, 2012 5:52 pm

GizmoGuy411 wrote:It is a slow process to test, as I need to drive to the location, and use my Android device to hear the TTS output.

Thanks again for doing this, Gizmo. Awesome community resource, your sandbox is. :geek:

Two things that I can confirm:
1) comma does add pause, so perhaps change your sandbox from / separators to , to make it easier?
2) the space before and after the / are critical! Recently encountered a "Blah blah Ave/ Irrelevant St" named exit and the "Ave" was pronounced "ayve", NOT expanded out to "avenue"
Recovering Waze addict, occasional driver and editor in LA.
jenncard

Location: Somewhere in Los Angeles, but probably on my bicycle

Postby weeezer14 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 5:58 pm

I forgot to give my thanks :)

And Jenni reminds me of something I experienced in Chattanooga recently. Had a few ramps named "to I -24". The space was BEFORE the dash instead of after as was the old standard. So TTS said "turn right at eye negative twenty four" :lol:
iPhone 5s (AT&T) • iOS 7.0.3 • Waze 3.7.6.0
✰ Mega Driver ✰ Mega Mapper ✰ 1M Points ✰
Country Manager: USA • Regional Coordinator: USA South Atlantic (KY, TN, NC, SC)
Navigation/Routing ExpertForum Moderator
weeezer14

PreviousNext

Return to United States