Test of Text-to-Speech (TTS) Abbreviations in Waze Clients

[ img ] This is the place to discuss issues that are relevant for locations in the US. For any other discussions, please use the main forums.

Moderator: MapSir

Re: Test of Text-to-Speech (TTS) Abbreviations in Waze Clien

Postby PesachZ » Wed Apr 08, 2015 5:40 am

DwarfLord wrote:
PesachZ wrote:Can you tell me the full exact street name you tested?
When I tested it sounded like caada street, which is still better then ca ± ada Street.

Odd! I used "Cañada Rd" for the test. It was on a PR type road, and the announcement was for a right turn from a PS onto the PR. Pretty clearly sounded like Canada to me, but admittedly I've only run the test once in that one location.

To me it sounded similar to the first two syllables of cottage, with a soft t sound. (Kah-doh)

Its as if the ñ is completely ignored now, and the TTS is processing the name as Caada Rd.

Listen carefully next time, let us know please.

Sent using Tapatalk for Android 4.4.2
PesachZ
Wiki Master
Wiki Master

Postby DwarfLord » Wed Apr 08, 2015 5:08 am

PesachZ wrote:Can you tell me the full exact street name you tested?
When I tested it sounded like caada street, which is still better then ca ± ada Street.

Odd! I used "Cañada Rd" for the test. It was on a PR type road, and the announcement was for a right turn from a PS onto the PR. Pretty clearly sounded like Canada to me, but admittedly I've only run the test once in that one location.
DwarfLord
Wiki Master
Wiki Master

Postby PesachZ » Wed Apr 08, 2015 3:38 am

DwarfLord wrote:In a test this evening, TTS (iPhone, v3.9.4, Samantha) pronounced "Cañada" as "Canada". Which sounds wrong -- shouldn't it say Canyada? -- until one remembers that until quite recently TTS pronounced it "Ca-plus-minus-ada". :? :? :?

I don't know if this is in any way associated with the new version of the app. But it suggests we should finally be able to use ñ in street names without fear of egregiously weird pronunciation. Yay!

Not to burst any bubbles, but my test does not have the same results. Can you tell me the full exact street name you tested?

PesachZ
Wiki Master
Wiki Master

Postby DwarfLord » Wed Apr 08, 2015 3:05 am

In a test this evening, TTS (iPhone, v3.9.4, Samantha) pronounced "Cañada" as "Canada". Which sounds wrong -- shouldn't it say Canyada? -- until one remembers that until quite recently TTS pronounced it "Ca-plus-minus-ada". :? :? :?

I don't know if this is in any way associated with the new version of the app. But it suggests we should finally be able to use ñ in street names without fear of egregiously weird pronunciation. Yay!
DwarfLord
Wiki Master
Wiki Master

Postby e-sarge » Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:38 pm

e-sarge wrote:Here's another example. It's in Canada, but this is the best thread I found for drive being mis-pronounced doctor.

https://www.waze.com/editor/?env=usa&lon=-78.91376&lat=43.88275&layers=933&zoom=8&segments=80654014

Segment is named "Glen Hill Dr S".
    Should be pronounced "Glen Hill Drive South".
    TTS said "Glen Hill Doctor South".

Please add this to the list.

Back in November I reported this one. I did some further testing, and discovered some additional information that could be crucial to resolving these. Obviously, the abbreviation "Dr" is working properly in most cases. However, there are a few places where it continues to be pronounced "doctor".

I discovered recently that when I approach the road from the east, and the expected voice instruction is to turn right, then it says "doctor". But if I approach from the west, the expected voice instruction is then to turn left, and then is says "drive". This is very interesting that the prefix of the turn direction is having an impact on "drive" versus "doctor".

I tested this at two different intersections along this short road, and I get the same result -- "doctor" when I turn right, "drive" when I turn left.

If you need me to do further testing, there is also a Glen Hill Dr N just 3 blocks north of here -- not sure whether the "north" versus "south" direction is relevant to the "doctor" versus "drive" decision, but based on this new finding, perhaps it might also be related. PM me if testing this becomes necessary.

Hopefully this new information can steer the people doing the debugging to finally find and fix this weird pattern.
e-sarge
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby taco909 » Tue Mar 17, 2015 1:58 am

GizmoGuy411 wrote:With the assistance of Otto we found the needed intentional misspellings for "Buena" and "Sepulvada" to submit to Waze so that they are pronounced as correctly as possible for the "Samantha" and "Tom" voices. Waze reports that the "Jane" voice already pronounces them correctly.

Clear the TTS cache in your device to hear the corrected names.
(Menu > Navigate, then search for "cc@tts" without the quotes)

Thanks... and it's "Sepulveda"... would hate to see the wrong spelling "corrected"

Buena has always made my laugh. There was another one that we were discussing in the HO a few weeks ago that was funny as well.... "Tiburon"
"Tihborahn" or "Tibborahn" perhaps?
taco909
Map Editor - Level 4
Map Editor - Level 4

Postby GizmoGuy411 » Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:10 pm

beej666 wrote:i still don't understand how the fix gets made. i've been made to understand that somebody from the Google Waze team will need to fill out some sort of request upstream with the TTS provider. who is that person? how does my request get in their inbox?

You can submit a request here and a handful of US Champs who have access will test and evaluate the request and submit our findings to Waze if we find a solution.

Waze does not need to submit to the TTS provider. They can make the changes themselves directly to their own TTS server that runs the software for the Nuance TTS software provider.

Please be aware that we generally do not try to fix the pronunciation of street names, as any change we submit will be system wide. Since many street names are pronounced differently in different locales it is often not prudent to change them.

The name "Lima" for example is sometimes pronounced "lye-ma" in some locations and "lee-ma" in others. The best we can hope to accomplish is to pick the most prevalent use.

Even when we feel a name SHOULD be changed, we need to research every instance of the name in the U.S. to determine the local usage before we make changes.

Your comment about the method of submitting TTS corrections is valid. I'll consider creating a form for submissions to rectify that.
GizmoGuy411
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Postby GizmoGuy411 » Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:59 pm

With the assistance of Otto we found the needed intentional misspellings for "Buena" and "Sepulvada" to submit to Waze so that they are pronounced as correctly as possible for the "Samantha" and "Tom" voices. Waze reports that the "Jane" voice already pronounces them correctly.

Clear the TTS cache in your device to hear the corrected names.
(Menu > Navigate, then search for "cc@tts" without the quotes)
GizmoGuy411
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Postby GizmoGuy411 » Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:52 pm

jondrush wrote:AwCrap. Penna was working as an abbreviation that spoke "Pennsylvania", but now it is busted. Just says "Penna". Any insight on why this changed?

Failures seem to coincide with the installation of the new "Jane" voice. I've already sent an email regarding issues with Jane, and will follow up with this loss of our previously fixed issues once I get a reply.
GizmoGuy411
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Postby sketch » Fri Mar 13, 2015 2:32 am

PesachZ wrote:"Bronx River Pkwy N / White Pains" no longer pronounces the pause where the slash is.

Same with "to Causeway Blvd N / Mandeville". Seems only to be slashes following N.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

PreviousNext

Return to United States