Test of Text-to-Speech (TTS) Abbreviations in Waze Clients

[ img ] This is the place to discuss issues that are relevant for locations in the US. For any other discussions, please use the main forums.

Moderator: MapSir

Re: Test of Text-to-Speech (TTS) Abbreviations in Waze Clien

Postby sketch » Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:26 pm

beej666 wrote:since you already have the list, why not post it somewhere? i guess this dead horse is tired of being kicked, but i just hate to see all this back and forth yield nothing tangibly good :-/

cheers,
marc

Good name.

Well, we do have a publicly-available big list in the OP of this thread that has all the abbreviations we've tested and wanted to test, although it's a bit cumbersome and doesn't actually track our requests. I'll talk with GG about putting together a public list where we can track requests etc.

-Marc
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby beej666 » Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:21 pm

sketch wrote:Trust me, it's no less disappointing waiting for months at Waze staff's toes

i feel your pain

sketch wrote:with a long list of desired pronunciations.

since you already have the list, why not post it somewhere? i guess this dead horse is tired of being kicked, but i just hate to see all this back and forth yield nothing tangibly good :-/

cheers,
marc
beej666

Postby e-sarge » Tue Mar 03, 2015 7:50 pm

voludu2 wrote:Rather than a difficult-to-maintain spreadsheet:

Why not a bugzilla (or other bug/issue/feature ) tracking software. One which allows users to vote for the most important feature requests.

And anyone can see the summary report of all or "all open" or "by oldest" or "most popular" and moderators would have the power to merge duplicate requests with a click of the button.

This would be easier to share with the team, too.

Waze editors frequently use space on different unofficial waze-related servers in different parts of the world. I bet it would be possible to find a little space for this.

(And while we are at it, to set up useful issue tracking for other things like road closures, for which the sheet is very cumbersome)

A couple of counter-points:

TTS errors are bugs, and you don't 'vote' on bugs. All bugs, once confirmed as bugs, need to be fixed (eventually, given the restrictions of resources). Priority should be based on importance and capabilities, not popularity. New features we can vote on, but that's not what this thread is really about.

And, a second TTS error that has a similar pattern as an existing is not a duplicate, in the same way that a typo might appear on two different Wiki pages -- not a duplicate, just two bugs to be fixed. A duplicate would be two users reporting the same TTS error on the same segment.

FYI, I'm not hung up on any particular tool. I personally don't find spreadsheets 'cumbersome', I find them 'useful' -- the closure spreadsheet works just fine for me. But we don't have to use a hammer if a screwdriver is more appropriate. In this case, we have a rather large list of TTS problems, so something tabular in nature is going to be the best fit.
e-sarge
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby voludu2 » Tue Mar 03, 2015 3:43 pm

Rather than a difficult-to-maintain spreadsheet:

Why not a bugzilla (or other bug/issue/feature ) tracking software. One which allows users to vote for the most important feature requests.

And anyone can see the summary report of all or "all open" or "by oldest" or "most popular" and moderators would have the power to merge duplicate requests with a click of the button.

This would be easier to share with the team, too.

Waze editors frequently use space on different unofficial waze-related servers in different parts of the world. I bet it would be possible to find a little space for this.

(And while we are at it, to set up useful issue tracking for other things like road closures, for which the sheet is very cumbersome)
voludu2
Map Editor - Level 5
Map Editor - Level 5

Postby e-sarge » Tue Mar 03, 2015 3:12 pm

I think beej666 is on to something here, and it could be used to off-load some of the organization and research tasks from those who interface with the staffers.

If we had a public list (wiki page, google doc/google form, etc) where editors could report problems (with Permalinks), then we could unleash a small team of volunteer Waze editor geeks to do the research (possibly including estimated number of Wazers impacted based on the trip count of the affected segment, if we can get access to that), associate like problems together (all the mispronounced 'Bueno' together, Glen Hill 'doctor' South with Patriot 'doctor' East (same pattern for abbreviation problem), etc.).

Then we could all see the status of our requests, and enable the key players to strategize what to lobby the staffers for (most difficult, longest outstanding, largest group of impacted Wazers, some quick and easy fixes, etc.).

I'd be willing to help with the construction of something like this, if there's support from the senior editor community -- PM me!
e-sarge
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby sketch » Tue Mar 03, 2015 2:38 am

Trust me, it's no less disappointing waiting for months at Waze staff's toes with a long list of desired pronunciations. For better or worse, it's not really a priority for them. It's really easy to have lots of pet projects within a big group of map editors and an enormous group of users, but Waze has only a small development team with a lot to do.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby beej666 » Tue Mar 03, 2015 1:45 am

thanks for the responses.

forgive me if i sound presumptuous, but the current "system" for getting mispronunciations fixed sounds extremely error-prone, at best. even if the current mess were the best we could do given the current circumstances, some sort of order should be made of the chaos. at the very least, it would be nice if there were somewhere to go for users to see if their particular TTS gripe is already in process for getting fixed.

are either GizmoGuy411 or sketch up for putting up a wiki page documenting the current system and what is being fixed and what won't be fixed?

sending community members to this depressingly long thread when they report TTS problems just isn't a good idea, IMNSHO. it's a turnoff :-/
beej666

Postby sketch » Tue Feb 24, 2015 3:52 am

beej666 wrote:i still don't understand how the fix gets made. i've been made to understand that somebody from the Google Waze team will need to fill out some sort of request upstream with the TTS provider. who is that person? how does my request get in their inbox?

Right, as Pesach said, you did the right thing. GizmoGuy411 and I are in contact with Waze staff about this stuff. The custom abbreviations list contains stuff like "NC" = "North Carolina" and "N" = "North". It also contains, for example, "Versailles" = "verssigh" or something like that. That's the way we do it, we find something that works with the TTS system and plug it into the big list, but we have a few more pressing matters to attend to, like various abbreviations we need to get supported, and some problems with a few existing ones.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby PesachZ » Tue Feb 24, 2015 3:42 am

beej666 wrote:i still don't understand how the fix gets made. i've been made to understand that somebody from the Google Waze team will need to fill out some sort of request upstream with the TTS provider. who is that person? how does my request get in their inbox?

Normally things like local street names don't get fixed. We usually only fix things of significant exposure, so a name on a few streets, in only a few places is jot likely to get fixed at all.

If it's a more popular name as sketch suggested this is, then it can be corrected.

• The process start with you posting here. (Done)
  • Some research into the popularity of the name, and any potential conflifts with other names. Also research on proper pronunciation in different regions. (If a name is pronounced differently in doesn't locales it likely won't be fixed either since it will always be wrong somewhere.)
  • Once it's determined a fix is required, a group of champs who spend a lot of time on this project (incl. GizmoGuy411, sketch) can then craft a string that will sound right when read by the TTS engine, and test it in various contexts. (Bueno might be converted to "bwen oh" for example)
  • Code is developed to determine when the name should be replaced in context.
  • That pair of name and converted string with the filtering code for when to use it is then submitted to Waze staff for inclusion in their TTS software as a custom abbreviation.

Reach of these steps takes time and effort, and some names are higher priority, with a larger effect than others. Obviously the higher priority names go first.
You have made the right steps, now things just have to run their course.

Thanks for your report and enthusiasm. Happy wazing.

Sent using Tapatalk for Android 4.4.2
PesachZ
Wiki Master
Wiki Master

Postby taco909 » Tue Feb 24, 2015 2:59 am

qwaletee wrote:Rich,

City names do not go to TTS. If they appear as control cities in BGS, those would indeed go TTS.

Ya... I was mainly commenting on the commonality of the name.
In addition to control cities, there's also the common replacement for "1st" or "Main" where the street becomes "Cityname Blvd"
Byoona always cracks me up when I hear it.
taco909
Map Editor - Level 4
Map Editor - Level 4

PreviousNext

Return to United States