Test of Text-to-Speech (TTS) Abbreviations in Waze Clients

Image This is the place to discuss issues that are relevant for locations in the US. For any other discussions, please use the main forums.

Moderator: adriansinger

Re: Test of Text-to-Speech (TTS) Abbreviations in Waze Clien

Postby GizmoGuy411 » Mon Oct 13, 2014 6:15 am

Kayos_On_The_Road wrote:I found a couple of TTS errors:

"to Hwy 91A N / Annacis Island" is translated as "to highway nighty one eh en" pause "annacis island"
"to Hwy 13 / 264 St / Aldergrove" is tanslated as "to highway thirteen thousand two hundred sixty four street" followed by the pause for the second slash an "aldergrove"

These are both segments starting with "to" Could this be what is causing the issue?

Kayos

These errors have been found in several Ramp names where a combination of abbreviations that work elsewhere, do not with in ramp names where the slash mark appears.

Would you mind sending the Permalink for these examples to me directly and I will add it to our list of such examples that we will present to Waze to figure out?
ImageImageImageImage

Global Champ
U.S. CM
U.S. Great Lakes RC: IL, IN, MI, OH, WI
AM: NW OH, NE IN, SE MI
Wiki Profile
Verizon: Galaxy S4 w/ Android 4.4.2 & iPad "3" w/ iOS 8.2.0
GizmoGuy411
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Postby GizmoGuy411 » Wed Oct 15, 2014 3:53 am

It was fixed for instances where they existed as the sole abbreviation.

The combinations of abbreviations did not work.

All bets are off at the moment to what STILL works.

We will just have to submit the examples we have and see if they can figure it out.

So if you have more examples, add them here I guess and we can compile them and send them next week then that team is more accessible.
ImageImageImageImage

Global Champ
U.S. CM
Wiki Profile
GizmoGuy411
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Postby GizmoGuy411 » Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:35 pm

jaywazin wrote:
harling wrote:'Storrow Dr E' is supposed to be "storrow drive east", not "storrow doctor east" or "storrow doctor ee". And each time someone comes up with an example that we haven't anticipated, the rules (and code) become messier and harder to maintain.

All these conditions and exceptions are easy enough for a human to follow, but to a computer, context-sensitive grammars are brittle. Trust me, I have done this for a living. Better to start now with as straightforward and literal a system as possible, or it will turn into a perpetual problem, where fixing one case will break several others.

Back to Page 2 (1/2012)!! -

Over the last couple weeks I've noticed this popping up again.

Memorial Dr W is now "Memorial Doctor West"
and Storrow Dr E is now "Storrow Doctor East"

Could not duplicate the issue with "Memorial Dr W". Suspect TTS server/routing server cliches. (A more detailed reply sent to jaywazin via PM, along with other content.)

To harlings point, the results of the exception issues are compounded when the system simply falls back to defaults, and confuses people more.
ImageImageImageImage

Global Champ
U.S. CM
Wiki Profile
GizmoGuy411
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Postby GizmoGuy411 » Fri Dec 05, 2014 8:56 pm

Your help is needed!

Several reports have been received that certain roads with the "Dr" abbreviation have been voiced by TTS as "doctor" instead of "drive", and only intermittently.

In the Boston area it has happened with "Memorial Dr W" and I believe "Memorial Dr E".

In New York City it has happened with "FDR Dr N" and possibly with "FDR Dr S".

This does not seem to happen all the time.

My suspicion, is that it MAY be occurring during periods when the abbreviation "Dr" is being in heavy use by the TTS server. So if it is rush hour on the west coast and a lot of "Dr" abbreviations are being used, then it COULD also happen on the east coast at the same instant.

In order to help Waze determine the issue, we need to provide them with examples with the following infomation:

- The WME permalink with the segment that you heard the TTS for selected. (Not where you were at the time you heard it, but the segment that was being spoken in the TTS instruction.)

- Your time zone.
- A copy of the actual TTS file from your mobile device.
- The timestamp of the TTS file.

Acquiring a copy of the TTS file and its timestamp can be accomplished as follows:
- For Android devices, download the "ES File Explorer File Manager" app for your device.

- For iOS devices, download a program such as "iFunBox" (no jailbreak needed) to your Mac or Windows computer, and connect your device to your computer via a cable. You may also be able to use Wifi with some programs such as iFunBox.

- Navigate to the location in your device where the TTS files are stored.

Android:
Local/waze/tts/database/local_nuamce_8_mp3_Samantha_Female/ or
Local/waze/tts/database/local_nuamce_8_mp3_Tom_Male/

iOS:
Connected Devices, [your device name], User Applications, [Waze]//Library/Caches/tts/database/local_nuamce_8_mp3_Samantha_Female/ or
Connected Devices, [your device name], User Applications, [Waze]//Library/Caches/tts/database/local_nuamce_8_mp3_Tom_Male/

Once you have found the file, please either upload it to cloud space such as Dropbox or Google Drive and share the link, or just sent it to my Waze@GizmoGuy411.com email address as an attachment.
(It is not possible to sent via a Private Message.)
ImageImageImageImage

Global Champ
U.S. CM
Wiki Profile
GizmoGuy411
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Postby GizmoGuy411 » Sun Jan 04, 2015 10:12 am

Yes it is hard to find information in the forums when threads get this large.

The solution is to use a period. A number of places around the coutry that have "Saint" in a street name have helped us come to the conclusion that "St." is used for "Saint" and "St" is used for "Street".

You mentioned "here" without clarification. If you are referring to a specific place, it may be possible for us to get you some help to add the periods where necessary.

We may also be able to run a script to make most of the changes for the occurrences where "Saint" is the first word in the name.

Such changes based on placement however must be considered carefully however as exceptions have been discivered in the past.
ImageImageImageImage

Global Champ
U.S. CM
Wiki Profile
GizmoGuy411
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Postby GizmoGuy411 » Sun Jan 04, 2015 10:26 am

CBenson wrote:Do we have any current indication that waze is working to fix the bug? N is voiced "en" for this segment named "Baltimore-Washington Pkwy N / to I-95 / Baltimore" as well.

This has fallen back into my lap. Waze IS aware that a problem exists. However they are waiting for me to send specific examples.

I have somewhat narrowed the issue down to some combination of abbreviations and the slash mark.

Without out trying to narrowed the issue further, I will try to compile my findings along with theseveral recent examples and send them.

No action on abbreviations has been possible for the last few months as Waze was making changes. Just in the last couple weeks they now are ready to resume TTS issue resolutions.
ImageImageImageImage

Global Champ
U.S. CM
Wiki Profile
GizmoGuy411
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Postby GizmoGuy411 » Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:52 pm

jondrush wrote:AwCrap. Penna was working as an abbreviation that spoke "Pennsylvania", but now it is busted. Just says "Penna". Any insight on why this changed?

Failures seem to coincide with the installation of the new "Jane" voice. I've already sent an email regarding issues with Jane, and will follow up with this loss of our previously fixed issues once I get a reply.
ImageImageImageImage

Global Champ
U.S. CM
Wiki Profile
GizmoGuy411
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Postby GizmoGuy411 » Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:59 pm

With the assistance of Otto we found the needed intentional misspellings for "Buena" and "Sepulvada" to submit to Waze so that they are pronounced as correctly as possible for the "Samantha" and "Tom" voices. Waze reports that the "Jane" voice already pronounces them correctly.

Clear the TTS cache in your device to hear the corrected names.
(Menu > Navigate, then search for "cc@tts" without the quotes)
ImageImageImageImage

Global Champ
U.S. CM
Wiki Profile
GizmoGuy411
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Postby GizmoGuy411 » Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:10 pm

beej666 wrote:i still don't understand how the fix gets made. i've been made to understand that somebody from the Google Waze team will need to fill out some sort of request upstream with the TTS provider. who is that person? how does my request get in their inbox?

You can submit a request here and a handful of US Champs who have access will test and evaluate the request and submit our findings to Waze if we find a solution.

Waze does not need to submit to the TTS provider. They can make the changes themselves directly to their own TTS server that runs the software for the Nuance TTS software provider.

Please be aware that we generally do not try to fix the pronunciation of street names, as any change we submit will be system wide. Since many street names are pronounced differently in different locales it is often not prudent to change them.

The name "Lima" for example is sometimes pronounced "lye-ma" in some locations and "lee-ma" in others. The best we can hope to accomplish is to pick the most prevalent use.

Even when we feel a name SHOULD be changed, we need to research every instance of the name in the U.S. to determine the local usage before we make changes.

Your comment about the method of submitting TTS corrections is valid. I'll consider creating a form for submissions to rectify that.
ImageImageImageImage

Global Champ
U.S. CM
Wiki Profile
GizmoGuy411
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Postby harling » Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:58 pm

Having written my share of regexps and parsers, it occurrs to me that if we are going to use the period/full-stop '.' character to differentiate 'N' ("north") from 'N.' ("enn") or 'St' ("street") from 'St.' ("saint"), we also need to decide whether it should have to be followed by a space. For example, should it recognize 'St.Louis' (no space) as "Saint Louis"?

Unless someone can think of a good reason to allow '.' mid-word, I think the '.' should double as a delimiter (i.e., a space should not be required), if only for the sake of saving screen real estate. "N Street" would be written as either 'N.St' or 'N. St'.
Area Manager, Eastern MA & Southern NH. Country Manager, USA.
Help wanted. Drop me a line!
Wiki Resources: Area Manager Wiki | Map Editing | Best Practices | Known Issues List
harling
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

PreviousNext

Return to United States