Test of Text-to-Speech (TTS) Abbreviations in Waze Clients

[ img ] This is the place to discuss issues that are relevant for locations in the US. For any other discussions, please use the main forums.

Moderator: MapSir

Re: Test of Text-to-Speech (TTS) Abbreviations in Waze Clien

Postby sketch » Tue Feb 24, 2015 3:52 am

beej666 wrote:i still don't understand how the fix gets made. i've been made to understand that somebody from the Google Waze team will need to fill out some sort of request upstream with the TTS provider. who is that person? how does my request get in their inbox?

Right, as Pesach said, you did the right thing. GizmoGuy411 and I are in contact with Waze staff about this stuff. The custom abbreviations list contains stuff like "NC" = "North Carolina" and "N" = "North". It also contains, for example, "Versailles" = "verssigh" or something like that. That's the way we do it, we find something that works with the TTS system and plug it into the big list, but we have a few more pressing matters to attend to, like various abbreviations we need to get supported, and some problems with a few existing ones.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby PesachZ » Tue Feb 24, 2015 3:42 am

beej666 wrote:i still don't understand how the fix gets made. i've been made to understand that somebody from the Google Waze team will need to fill out some sort of request upstream with the TTS provider. who is that person? how does my request get in their inbox?

Normally things like local street names don't get fixed. We usually only fix things of significant exposure, so a name on a few streets, in only a few places is jot likely to get fixed at all.

If it's a more popular name as sketch suggested this is, then it can be corrected.

• The process start with you posting here. (Done)
  • Some research into the popularity of the name, and any potential conflifts with other names. Also research on proper pronunciation in different regions. (If a name is pronounced differently in doesn't locales it likely won't be fixed either since it will always be wrong somewhere.)
  • Once it's determined a fix is required, a group of champs who spend a lot of time on this project (incl. GizmoGuy411, sketch) can then craft a string that will sound right when read by the TTS engine, and test it in various contexts. (Bueno might be converted to "bwen oh" for example)
  • Code is developed to determine when the name should be replaced in context.
  • That pair of name and converted string with the filtering code for when to use it is then submitted to Waze staff for inclusion in their TTS software as a custom abbreviation.

Reach of these steps takes time and effort, and some names are higher priority, with a larger effect than others. Obviously the higher priority names go first.
You have made the right steps, now things just have to run their course.

Thanks for your report and enthusiasm. Happy wazing.

Sent using Tapatalk for Android 4.4.2
PesachZ
Wiki Master
Wiki Master

Postby taco909 » Tue Feb 24, 2015 2:59 am

qwaletee wrote:Rich,

City names do not go to TTS. If they appear as control cities in BGS, those would indeed go TTS.

Ya... I was mainly commenting on the commonality of the name.
In addition to control cities, there's also the common replacement for "1st" or "Main" where the street becomes "Cityname Blvd"
Byoona always cracks me up when I hear it.
taco909
Map Editor - Level 4
Map Editor - Level 4

Postby beej666 » Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:10 am

i still don't understand how the fix gets made. i've been made to understand that somebody from the Google Waze team will need to fill out some sort of request upstream with the TTS provider. who is that person? how does my request get in their inbox?
beej666

Postby qwaletee » Mon Feb 23, 2015 11:32 pm

Rich,

City names do not go to TTS. If they appear as control cities in BGS, those would indeed go TTS.
qwaletee
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs

Location: NYC Metro - Active throughout NE^2 (Northeast & New England)

Postby sketch » Mon Feb 23, 2015 10:55 pm

BTW – just to keep things realistic. It's possible to fix this pronunciation, but it won't be especially soon. We're kinda backlogged with TTS stuff at the moment.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby taco909 » Mon Feb 23, 2015 10:52 pm

Same here... Burbank, Pasadena... heck, we've even got at least one city with "Buena" in the name (of course, we also have cities named Los Banos and Manteca :D )
taco909
Map Editor - Level 4
Map Editor - Level 4

Postby qwaletee » Mon Feb 23, 2015 10:32 pm

I see at least 14 states that have at least one street with Buena in it.
qwaletee
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs

Location: NYC Metro - Active throughout NE^2 (Northeast & New England)

Postby sketch » Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:38 pm

Thanks for your post. I had this problem too, over the weekend, in Lake Buena Vista, FL. We'll check it out. This might be the kind of thing that's universal enough to change countrywide.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby beej666 » Mon Feb 23, 2015 7:35 pm

hi all,

one of my country managers (USA), kentsmith9, suggested i seek feedback here. i made a post at https://www.waze.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=129244 because i'm trying to figure out the procedure for getting a TTS failure addressed.

i recently made a UR about the fact that a street named "Buena Vista Ave" has the "Buena" pronounced "Byoonah" by the TTS. the map editor who handled the UR uploaded this video demonstrating it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJ2Iw-L9__A

cheers,
marc
beej666

PreviousNext

Return to United States