Test of Text-to-Speech (TTS) Abbreviations in Waze Clients

[ img ] This is the place to discuss issues that are relevant for locations in the US. For any other discussions, please use the main forums.

Moderator: MapSir

Re: Test of Text-to-Speech (TTS) Abbreviations in Waze Clien

Postby doctorkb » Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:50 pm

That makes sense, sketch.

I'd recommend keeping something similar like SD- as having an expansion, but SD may need to go.

I'm reminded of when I tried using the Apple Maps when it first came out, and was directed on "Eh Bee Two" for "AB-2" -- multiple issues with it... one, we don't distinguish between provincial and national highways, as our system of federalism has delegated complete highway authority to the provinces... it should have just been "Hwy 2". Second, "AB" should be "Alberta".
doctorkb
Coordinators
Coordinators

Postby sketch » Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:04 am

Everyone, a user in Malaysia has posted of another example conflict: a street called "Jalan Kenanga SD 9/1" which pronounces the "SD" as "South Dakota". Apparently letter combinations on street names are common there, and they apparently use US English TTS. So that's just one example...

Just more reason to remove the simple two-letter forms as abbreviations... I still think it's best to leave those to pronounce as letters and instead use the old fashioned abbreviations when it's necessary to say a state name. I'm sure there are other countries who use US English TTS as well (because TTS is not available in every language, far from it).
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby PesachZ » Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:38 am

sketch wrote:I mean "adding to the list as new abbreviations", so no, that wouldn't be what I meant. I don't want to do anything to "N H" etc., because they already do and should still say "north H" etc. I want to add "N.H." as a supported abbreviation specifically to make it say "n h", because if it isn't specifically added, what it does say might be unpredictable.

Although if we're adding "N." as "n" anyway, maybe it doesn't matter, because "N. H" would say "n h" and "N H" would still say "north h".

While "N. H" may very well say "enn aitch", the results may not be the same for "N.H." without the space. If we've learned anything at all from past experiences with the TTS engine, it's that we don't know what a variation the skirts the rules will produce. I support explicitly adding important ones, like states.
PesachZ
Wiki Master
Wiki Master

Postby qwaletee » Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:22 am

Better safe than sorry, especially as we don't know how responsive they'll be if it comes out wrong and we ask for additional changes.
qwaletee
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs

Location: NYC Metro - Active throughout NE^2 (Northeast & New England)

Postby sketch » Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:18 am

I mean "adding to the list as new abbreviations", so no, that wouldn't be what I meant. I don't want to do anything to "N H" etc., because they already do and should still say "north H" etc. I want to add "N.H." as a supported abbreviation specifically to make it say "n h", because if it isn't specifically added, what it does say might be unpredictable.

Although if we're adding "N." as "n" anyway, maybe it doesn't matter, because "N. H" would say "n h" and "N H" would still say "north h".
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby qwaletee » Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:12 am

OK, thanks, sketch. Might I suggest editing the following sentence to make that clear?

sketch wrote:Also, I propose to add the following as "N H", "N J", "N M" . . . "N B", because NH ... NB will already say the state/province name, and to avoid "north H", etc.
qwaletee
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs

Postby sketch » Sun Aug 24, 2014 10:09 pm

qwaletee wrote:So to have an actual North H Street, we would have to spell out North?

No, "N H" would still say "North H", so "N H St". "NH" without a space would say "New Hampshire", and "N.H." with periods would say "N H".
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby qwaletee » Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:22 pm

sketch wrote:I am ready to submit a bunch of old-fashioned state abbreviations with periods (avoid conflict) plus every state abbreviation specifically followed by a hyphen (to attempt to get rid of that nasty pause issue).

I have SPECIFICALLY EXCLUDED a few things from my submissions, including:

K-
M-
N-

because Kansas, Michigan, and Nebraska use those (respectively) for their state highways, and pronounce them as such, and

R.I.
B.C.

because the alternatives without periods are already expanded, so there needs to be a way to say just the letters (in case there's, say, a N.D. Somebody Rd somewhere).

Also, I propose to add the following as "N H", "N J", "N M" . . . "N B", because NH ... NB will already say the state/province name, and to avoid "north H", etc.

N.H.
N.J.
N.M.
N.Y.
N.C.
N.D.
S.C.
S.D.
N.B.

So to have an actual North H Street, we would have to spell out North?
qwaletee
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs

Postby roadtechie » Sun Aug 24, 2014 2:20 am

Here is another word that TTS speaks very poorly "Vincennes" TTS should say "vin-senz" However, TTS currently says "vin-sin-es"
roadtechie
Country Manager
Country Manager

Postby sketch » Sun Aug 24, 2014 12:36 am

I am ready to submit a bunch of old-fashioned state abbreviations with periods (avoid conflict) plus every state abbreviation specifically followed by a hyphen (to attempt to get rid of that nasty pause issue).

I have SPECIFICALLY EXCLUDED a few things from my submissions, including:

K-
M-
N-

because Kansas, Michigan, and Nebraska use those (respectively) for their state highways, and pronounce them as such, and

R.I.
B.C.

because the alternatives without periods are already expanded, so there needs to be a way to say just the letters (in case there's, say, a N.D. Somebody Rd somewhere).

Also, I propose to add the following as "N H", "N J", "N M" . . . "N B", because NH ... NB will already say the state/province name, and to avoid "north H", etc.

N.H.
N.J.
N.M.
N.Y.
N.C.
N.D.
S.C.
S.D.
N.B.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs