Test of Text-to-Speech (TTS) Abbreviations in Waze Clients

Image This is the place to discuss issues that are relevant for locations in the US. For any other discussions, please use the main forums.

Moderator: MapSir

Re: Test of Text-to-Speech (TTS) Abbreviations in Waze Clien

Postby qwaletee » Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:43 pm

Br is commonly used for Bridge in my area. Disconcerting to frequently be told to bear left onto XYZ Branch. Example: https://www.waze.com/editor/?lon=-74.20 ... s=31973592

The other segments in the area leading to the Goethals have mostly been changed to say Brg instead of Br, but the fact remains that all the signs actually say Br, and any editor attempting to duplicate the text of the signs is bound to introduce more Br's.

It would be interesting to know the distribution of signs using Br for Bridge versus using Br for Branch, so that we could know which to assign causing the fewest issues.
US Champ / Country Manager | State Manager NY, NJ, PA, CT, MA, RI, VT, ME, NH | Northeast ARC | Mentor | Responding to Map Issues
qwaletee
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs

Location: NYC Metro - Active throughout NE^2 (Northeast & New England)

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:04 pm

qwaletee wrote:It would be interesting to know the distribution of signs using Br for Bridge versus using Br for Branch, so that we could know which to assign causing the fewest issues.

As noted elsewhere, when in doubt, spell in out.
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Country Manager | iPhone6 - VZ - iOS 9.3.2 | Waze v4.7.0.1
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby Thortok2000 » Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:25 am

Weird bug happened today.

I set a destination on Casey Avenue. When it said to turn onto it, it said Casey Avenue. When I arrived at my destination, it said 'Casey Ave', like the word ave, rhymes with have. That was weird. Any way to fix?
ImageImage
Area Manager of Greenville, SC! ^_^
Thortok2000
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby sketch » Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:23 am

AlanOfTheBerg wrote:
qwaletee wrote:It would be interesting to know the distribution of signs using Br for Bridge versus using Br for Branch, so that we could know which to assign causing the fewest issues.

"Br" is apparently the abbreviation for "Branch" according to both the USPS and MUTCD. This is what Waze's TTS abbreviations are apparently based on.

If a local authority disagrees with the USPS and the MUTCD, well, what can we do.
ALL US EDITORS READ: New USA road type guidance
new orleans based • detroit enthusiast • usa country manager
2013 ford focus titanium hatchback 5mt • performance blue
Image Image
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby AndyPoms » Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:56 am

sketch wrote:
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:

"Br" is apparently the abbreviation for "Branch" according to both the USPS and MUTCD. This is what Waze's TTS abbreviations are apparently based on.

If a local authority disagrees with the USPS and the MUTCD, well, what can we do.
I thought we only found "Br" = "Branch" in the USPS abbreviations, not in the MUTCD. I know in CT (there's a link to the state listing in the TTS spreadsheet) that "Br" is officially "Bridge" (and it's used extensively in the northeast US that way too).
Waze Champ & Forum Moderator
USA Country Manager
Senior Area Manager: State of Connecticut
Wiki: Editing | Best Practices | FAQ
AndyPoms
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby sketch » Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:32 pm

AndyPoms wrote:I thought we only found "Br" = "Branch" in the USPS abbreviations, not in the MUTCD. I know in CT (there's a link to the state listing in the TTS spreadsheet) that "Br" is officially "Bridge" (and it's used extensively in the northeast US that way too).

To be honest, I thought so too, and in fact I originally said that in my post before editing it. The spreadsheet hints that its Br for branch in both, but I'd thought I remembered reading that Br = Bridge in the MUTCD itself. It's possible I read the spreadsheet wrong yesterday.

Either way, the point I was originally gonna make is that Waze's TTS pulls from both the USPS and MUTCD abbreviations. Usually this means we just get lots of alternatives, but of course where there's conflict we have to pick one. I figure Waze chose to incorporate "Br" for "Branch" and "Brg" for "Bridge" because it's the only way to resolve the conflict while still having an abbreviation for each.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
ALL US EDITORS READ: New USA road type guidance
new orleans based • detroit enthusiast • usa country manager
2013 ford focus titanium hatchback 5mt • performance blue
Image Image
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby Gizmoguy411 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 3:41 am

Thortok2000 wrote:Weird bug happened today.

I set a destination on Casey Avenue. When it said to turn onto it, it said Casey Avenue. When I arrived at my destination, it said 'Casey Ave', like the word ave, rhymes with have. That was weird. Any way to fix?

This is a known issue that Waze is working on. Quite a few destinations are pronounced different than what is said in route. Look at the spreadsheet linked in the opening post of this thread to see several examples.
ImageImageImageImage

U.S. based Global Champ
U.S. CM
U.S. Great Lakes RC: IL, IN, MI, OH, WI
AM: NW OH, NE IN, SE MI
Wiki Profile
Verizon: Galaxy S6 Edge w/ Android 5.1.1 & iPad "3" w/ iOS 8.2.0
Gizmoguy411
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Postby bart99gt » Sun Nov 10, 2013 6:05 pm

I read through the first few pages, and last few pages of this thread, and didn't see this mentioned.

Is Waze in the process of adopting standard USPS two letter state identifiers to TTS? As I'm sure everyone is aware, Waze currently just says the letters individually, it would be nice to have it actually pronounce the actual state name, either when used as part of a highway name, or as a City, State type reference.
ImageImageImage
US Country Manager
Mississippi State Manager
Memphis, TN Area Manager
Cobb/Douglas County, GA Area Manager

Mississippi Wiki Page https://wiki.waze.com/wiki/Mississippi
bart99gt
Country Manager
Country Manager

Postby AndyPoms » Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:26 am

bart99gt wrote:I read through the first few pages, and last few pages of this thread, and didn't see this mentioned.

Is Waze in the process of adopting standard USPS two letter state identifiers to TTS? As I'm sure everyone is aware, Waze currently just says the letters individually, it would be nice to have it actually pronounce the actual state name, either when used as part of a highway name, or as a City, State type reference.
This has been requested. However Waze doesn't say the letters in all cases, "CT" is pronounced "Court", "NY" is pronounced "North Why", etc.

We've also made a request to have things such as "CA-##", "NY-##", "MI-##", "LA-##" translate into the local "Route"/"Highway"/"El Ay"/etc name as well. This one is much longer term.
Waze Champ & Forum Moderator
USA Country Manager
Senior Area Manager: State of Connecticut
Wiki: Editing | Best Practices | FAQ
AndyPoms
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby orbitc » Mon Nov 11, 2013 2:13 am

I have a few instances as well:

to Garden State Pkwy N wasn't correct. It read as "enn" not as "North"
Also, it's reading "Dr" as Doctor.
Regional Coordinator for Northeast (DE, NJ, NY, PA) & New England (CT, ME, MA, NH, RI, VT)
• ßeta Tester
• iOS ßeta: Always the latest version
• WME ßeta

WME | Mentoring | AM | USA
orbitc
Master Raider
Master Raider

PreviousNext

Return to United States