Test of Text-to-Speech (TTS) Abbreviations in Waze Clients

Image This is the place to discuss issues that are relevant for locations in the US. For any other discussions, please use the main forums.

Moderator: MapSir

Re: Test of Text-to-Speech (TTS) Abbreviations in Waze Clien

Postby Thortok2000 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:37 pm

I'm android and always up for helping to test anything.

As a side note, the way the current TTS says 'Henrietta' is hilarious and/or scary, take your pick.
ImageImage
Area Manager of Greenville, SC! ^_^
Thortok2000
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:05 pm

Not many people are authorized to see this forum. It is titled "TTS New Voice - Testers" and currently has 34 members, 62 posts in 7 topics. It is a child of the Localization forum.

The only way I knew about the new voice, originally, was via direct email from Waze. I assume they/someone created this forum based on those who volunteered. I did not volunteer because there's enough stuff I do for Waze and I didn't need another thing to remember to test, give feedback for, which is then ignored.
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Country Manager | iPhone6 - VZ - iOS 9.3.2 | Waze v4.7.0.1
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby orbitc » Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:36 am

I don't know these editors can be added or not. I know that Orit enabled the voice for them in their clients. I already confirmed with one of the editors that they can see the and test the new voice "US Jane".
Any idea if they can be added?
Regional Coordinator for Northeast (DE, NJ, NY, PA) & New England (CT, ME, MA, NH, RI, VT)
• ßeta Tester
• iOS ßeta: Always the latest version
• WME ßeta

WME | Mentoring | AM | USA
orbitc
Master Raider
Master Raider

Postby sketch » Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:50 am

It's not there in my client.
ALL US EDITORS READ: New USA road type guidance
new orleans based • detroit enthusiast • usa country manager
2013 ford focus titanium hatchback 5mt • performance blue
Image Image
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby orbitc » Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:23 am

sketch wrote:It's not there in my client.

I sent the email. I'll check and let you know.
Regional Coordinator for Northeast (DE, NJ, NY, PA) & New England (CT, ME, MA, NH, RI, VT)
• ßeta Tester
• iOS ßeta: Always the latest version
• WME ßeta

WME | Mentoring | AM | USA
orbitc
Master Raider
Master Raider

Re: TTS abbreviations which are standalone words outright

Postby dbraughlr » Mon Feb 03, 2014 3:35 am

GizmoGuy411 wrote:Penn for Pennsylvania was moved from the main list to the State abbreviation list where it belongs

Penn => Pennsylvania belongs on the list to be deleted.

GizmoGuy411 wrote:Camino=Cam

This is another conflict. You cannot use a combination of letters of a real word as an abbreviation for another word. If you want to do that, you'll have to include the period or something which makes it distinct. See Penn => Pennsylvania above.
dbraughlr

Postby kentsmith9 » Tue Feb 04, 2014 5:20 pm

Doing some Wiki cleanup. I noticed on the OP the link to Abbreviations and acronyms was changed in the Wiki for country specific naming some time ago. I fixed the OP to note that and then added a link directly to the US version of the page for faster linking and less confusion for people in this US forum.

In reviewing this page on Abbreviations and acronyms the first section seems out of place in the flow. I propose that we move it after the standard abbreviations section. However since the standard section is so long, I will include a note in that section pointing people to the "non-standard" section if they don't see what they are looking for.

I also added an opening to help clarify the purpose of the page. We can add more if we think it is necessary.

GizmoGuy, I recommend when you update the Wiki with new info from this thread (as I assume you have been doing), maybe put a comment in the Wiki page in the Other Reading section saying the data on the Wiki page is current from forum feedback as of X date.

Final note. The Wiki does not like using "&" in page titles. The page above previously used an "&", so I renamed (moved) the page to use "and" instead. There is a redirect page for any other links to the old "&" format so there are no problems getting to the page with either spelling. Over time I will search them out and replace them for general cleanup, but we will leave the redirect just in case there are external links outside the Wiki. I cover it in the Wiki forum here.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby sketch » Tue Feb 04, 2014 5:41 pm

kentsmith9 wrote:In reviewing this page on Abbreviations and acronyms the first section seems out of place in the flow. I propose that we move it after the standard abbreviations section. However since the standard section is so long, I will include a note in that section pointing people to the "non-standard" section if they don't see what they are looking for.

Yeah, hang on, when did that first section get there, and what's all this ISO 3166-1 alpha-3 business? Certainly this (not abbreviating any prefixes, even directional prefixes, if I'm reading it correctly) isn't the rule in the United States.
ALL US EDITORS READ: New USA road type guidance
new orleans based • detroit enthusiast • usa country manager
2013 ford focus titanium hatchback 5mt • performance blue
Image Image
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby CBenson » Tue Feb 04, 2014 6:02 pm

I'm not sure I've ever seen that page before. What is the providence of this:
For example: California would be abbreviated to C.A. not CA and Victoria to VIC.
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.3.0.2
CBenson
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby qwaletee » Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:10 pm

kentsmith9 wrote:In reviewing this page on Abbreviations and acronyms the first section seems out of place in the flow. I propose that we move it after the standard abbreviations section. However since the standard section is so long, I will include a note in that section pointing people to the "non-standard" section if they don't see what they are looking for.

That page needs serious copyediting. Language is very sloppy and unclear. As an example, look at the info on abbreviating "tunnel," which doesn't make any sense. One refers to a tunnel, but the other refers to a roadway that is a tunnel?! Perhaps if you are familiar with the roads in question (which aren't linked), you might know that one isn't actually a tunnel, but is an access roadway. But that's just a guess, and even if correct, still raises serious questions about the policy espoused there.

It would be really nice if policy-setting text, anywhere in the wiki, linked to the discussion that finalized said policy. That would allow us to determine if it is truly a global standard, country-specific, or other region-specific, and whether it is good as-is or might need re-examination in light of new developments or occasional sanity.
US Champ / Country Manager | State Manager NY, NJ, PA, CT, MA, RI, VT, ME, NH | Northeast ARC | Mentor | Responding to Map Issues
qwaletee
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs

Location: NYC Metro - Active throughout NE^2 (Northeast & New England)

PreviousNext

Return to United States