Test of Text-to-Speech (TTS) Abbreviations in Waze Clients

[ img ] This is the place to discuss issues that are relevant for locations in the US. For any other discussions, please use the main forums.

Moderator: MapSir

Re: Test of Text-to-Speech (TTS) Abbreviations in Waze Clien

Postby GizmoGuy411 » Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:52 pm

jondrush wrote:AwCrap. Penna was working as an abbreviation that spoke "Pennsylvania", but now it is busted. Just says "Penna". Any insight on why this changed?

Failures seem to coincide with the installation of the new "Jane" voice. I've already sent an email regarding issues with Jane, and will follow up with this loss of our previously fixed issues once I get a reply.
GizmoGuy411
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps

Postby GizmoGuy411 » Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:59 pm

With the assistance of Otto we found the needed intentional misspellings for "Buena" and "Sepulvada" to submit to Waze so that they are pronounced as correctly as possible for the "Samantha" and "Tom" voices. Waze reports that the "Jane" voice already pronounces them correctly.

Clear the TTS cache in your device to hear the corrected names.
(Menu > Navigate, then search for "cc@tts" without the quotes)
GizmoGuy411
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps

Postby GizmoGuy411 » Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:10 pm

beej666 wrote:i still don't understand how the fix gets made. i've been made to understand that somebody from the Google Waze team will need to fill out some sort of request upstream with the TTS provider. who is that person? how does my request get in their inbox?

You can submit a request here and a handful of US Champs who have access will test and evaluate the request and submit our findings to Waze if we find a solution.

Waze does not need to submit to the TTS provider. They can make the changes themselves directly to their own TTS server that runs the software for the Nuance TTS software provider.

Please be aware that we generally do not try to fix the pronunciation of street names, as any change we submit will be system wide. Since many street names are pronounced differently in different locales it is often not prudent to change them.

The name "Lima" for example is sometimes pronounced "lye-ma" in some locations and "lee-ma" in others. The best we can hope to accomplish is to pick the most prevalent use.

Even when we feel a name SHOULD be changed, we need to research every instance of the name in the U.S. to determine the local usage before we make changes.

Your comment about the method of submitting TTS corrections is valid. I'll consider creating a form for submissions to rectify that.
GizmoGuy411
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps

Postby GizmoGuy411 » Fri Dec 16, 2016 9:04 pm

Previous TTS issues discussed with Nick.
GizmoGuy411
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps

Postby GregoryKoch » Fri Aug 19, 2016 1:33 am

Well, this is a weird one and I have no idea how it's happening. Jaguar Trail in Falls Church, Virginia (or at least the segment adjacent to Arlington Boulevard) is being pronounced "Jaguaxr" like there's a random X in there, but the name is displaying and stored correctly. Note that although it has a Falls Church address, it is in Fairfax County, not Falls Church City, so look at those GNIS references if you have to. I have no idea how that's happening. A less egregious error is Patrick Henry Drive (which is partially in Arlington and partially in Fairfax County with a Falls Church address) and it's pronouncing the first two letters like "Pay", which is obviously not how you pronounce Patrick.
GregoryKoch

Postby gunnargsd » Fri Sep 11, 2015 11:56 pm

Reporting a TTS issue:

- Britton Pkwy
- Being pronounced "Britt"
- BRIH-tuhn - http://inogolo.com/pronunciation/Britton
- https://www.waze.com/editor/?env=usa&lo ... s=77923959

Thank you
gunnargsd
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby gunnargsd » Sun Oct 18, 2015 6:19 pm

"Elbrook" is pronounced "Elbrool"

https://www.waze.com/editor/?env=usa&lo ... s=38723753

Thank you.
gunnargsd
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby HandofMadness » Mon Dec 01, 2014 9:23 pm

Got a UR today reporting "Cord Ave" was being pronounced "Country Road Avenue".
https://www.waze.com/editor/?env=usa&lo ... 413&zoom=5

Pretty sure the abbreviation should be "Co Rd".
HandofMadness
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby harling » Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:58 pm

Having written my share of regexps and parsers, it occurrs to me that if we are going to use the period/full-stop '.' character to differentiate 'N' ("north") from 'N.' ("enn") or 'St' ("street") from 'St.' ("saint"), we also need to decide whether it should have to be followed by a space. For example, should it recognize 'St.Louis' (no space) as "Saint Louis"?

Unless someone can think of a good reason to allow '.' mid-word, I think the '.' should double as a delimiter (i.e., a space should not be required), if only for the sake of saving screen real estate. "N Street" would be written as either 'N.St' or 'N. St'.
harling

Postby harling » Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:49 pm

WeeeZer14 wrote:And I think the period after the single letter indicating that it should be the letter is confusing. Plenty of signs out there that use N. to mean North and S. to mean South etc.

For the sake of clarity and reliability, you are right that we should try to minimize overloading (e.g., 'N' vs. 'N.'), and try to minimize positional semantics (e.g., handling "St" differently depending on where it appears). The more "common sense" we try to build into it, the more complicated the code is to implement it, and the more likely fixing one problem will break something else.
BTW, maybe we should find out how these are handled:
So. (South)
No. (North)

Those would be good options to reduce overloading in street names, but we still need to address how to write "enn street" in a way that is readable, without breaking the existing database that uses 'N' for "north".
harling

PreviousNext

Return to United States