Test of Text-to-Speech (TTS) Abbreviations in Waze Clients

Image This is the place to discuss issues that are relevant for locations in the US. For any other discussions, please use the main forums.

Moderator: MapSir

Re: Test of Text-to-Speech (TTS) Abbreviations in Waze Clien

Postby bgodette » Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:27 pm

qwaletee wrote:That page needs serious copyediting.
Go right ahead, and be sure to submit it to a new page or sandbox so others can review your work.
ImageImage
bgodette
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
 
Posts: 3382
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:19 pm
Location: Denver, CO
Has thanked: 101 times
Been thanked: 481 times

Re: Test of Text-to-Speech (TTS) Abbreviations in Waze Clien

Postby sketch » Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:18 pm

bgodette wrote:
qwaletee wrote:That page needs serious copyediting.
Go right ahead, and be sure to submit it to a new page or sandbox so others can review your work.

It's not copyediting that page needs, it's a full rewrite, and maybe just a removal of that first section. Those are not the rules, at least in the US, and they don't belong on a country-nonspecific page. (They are, indeed, also pretty difficult to understand.)
ALL US EDITORS READ: New USA road type guidance
new orleans based • detroit enthusiast • usa country manager
2013 ford focus titanium hatchback 5mt • performance blue
Image Image
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
 
Posts: 5708
Joined: Sat Aug 08, 2009 6:13 pm
Location: New Orleans, LA
Has thanked: 1250 times
Been thanked: 1726 times

Re: Test of Text-to-Speech (TTS) Abbreviations in Waze Clien

Postby kentsmith9 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:01 am

It looks like one of our Australian editors was making some changes for the Australian pages and then came in making changes here as well.

sketch wrote:
bgodette wrote:
qwaletee wrote:That page needs serious copyediting.
Go right ahead, and be sure to submit it to a new page or sandbox so others can review your work.

It's not copyediting that page needs, it's a full rewrite, and maybe just a removal of that first section. Those are not the rules, at least in the US, and they don't belong on a country-nonspecific page. (They are, indeed, also pretty difficult to understand.)

I would agree and I am fine if qwaletee wants to take a first crack at it.

I created a separate page linked to the original just for easy locating if we all forget about it. Whoever holds up their hand first should be given initial control over the page and then ask for input from this forum. I have temporarily assigned it to qwaletee, but if someone else steps up or wants it just change the name at the top of the page linked above.

Once we all agree or get enough consensus we can just cut and paste the new content over the old. No need to track our session edits before the final. The history will hold the original page changes for reference.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
 
Posts: 5063
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:33 pm
Location: SF/SJ Bay Area of Northern California
Has thanked: 1286 times
Been thanked: 1509 times

Re: Test of Text-to-Speech (TTS) Abbreviations in Waze Clien

Postby Gizmoguy411 » Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:14 am

4. The exception to the above is abbreviations for states and or territories; and countries with their three character abbreviation. These contain correct punctuation. Other regions do not fall under this category.
For example: California would be abbreviated to C.A. not CA and Victoria to VIC.


If I am reading this correct, I have an exception to this.

We have been pushing for 2 years now for Waze to adopt the USPS (and others) two letter (without punctuation) for the US States, and Canadian Provinces.
ImageImageImageImage

U.S. based Global Champ
U.S. CM
U.S. Great Lakes RC: IL, IN, MI, OH, WI
AM: NW OH, NE IN, SE MI
Wiki Profile
Verizon: Galaxy S6 Edge w/ Android 5.1.1 & iPad "3" w/ iOS 8.2.0
Gizmoguy411
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor
 
Posts: 1376
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2010 3:14 am
Location: NW Ohio, SE Michigan, NW Indiana tri-state area
Has thanked: 547 times
Been thanked: 372 times

Re: Test of Text-to-Speech (TTS) Abbreviations in Waze Clien

Postby vectorspace » Sun Feb 09, 2014 10:56 pm

I'd like to add another item to the spreadsheet, if it make sense. I've had two ongoing projects, one to work Indian Reservations and the other to work Forest Service Roads. I've interacted quite a bit with GIS people at Bureau of Indian Affairs and the US Forest Service and am continuing to do so.

Indian Service Road/Route (ISR-xxx) seems to be in the TTS spreadsheet already from a prior effort, without the xxx part at least. I am working on other abbreviations that would be more universal or as well.

I would now like to add FS-xxxxx to the TTS now as it is something that has cross-country applicability. The base map and subsequent edits have a variety of standards such as "Forest Service Road xxx," "Forest Rd xxx," "F S xxx," and others that include Route. We could standardize on this FS-xxxx as a way to simplify and make more sound the travel of Wazers on these roads.

I have quite a bit of information from the US Forest Service, particularly functional classifications, name standards and conventions for forest service roads, access to actual GIS data for anywhere in the nation, and a policy of where USFS wants people to use their roads and where not. I will start simplifying and posting this information elsewhere soon, but it would be good to get FS-xxx into the TTS list now.

I would suggest not using FSR-xxx for Forest Service Road/Route because it is longer and somewhat redundant. Just "Forest Service XXXX" would suffice as is done for "State Route xxxx," etc.
vectorspace
vectorspace
 
Posts: 1184
Joined: Sat Dec 17, 2011 7:05 pm
Location: Albuquerque, NM, USA
Has thanked: 173 times
Been thanked: 420 times

Re: Test of Text-to-Speech (TTS) Abbreviations in Waze Clien

Postby qwaletee » Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:26 pm

vectorspace wrote:I'd like to add another item to the spreadsheet, if it make sense. I've had two ongoing projects, one to work Indian Reservations and the other to work Forest Service Roads. I've interacted quite a bit with GIS people at Bureau of Indian Affairs and the US Forest Service and am continuing to do so.

Indian Service Road/Route (ISR-xxx) seems to be in the TTS spreadsheet already from a prior effort, without the xxx part at least. I am working on other abbreviations that would be more universal or as well.

I would now like to add FS-xxxxx to the TTS now as it is something that has cross-country applicability. The base map and subsequent edits have a variety of standards such as "Forest Service Road xxx," "Forest Rd xxx," "F S xxx," and others that include Route. We could standardize on this FS-xxxx as a way to simplify and make more sound the travel of Wazers on these roads.

I have quite a bit of information from the US Forest Service, particularly functional classifications, name standards and conventions for forest service roads, access to actual GIS data for anywhere in the nation, and a policy of where USFS wants people to use their roads and where not. I will start simplifying and posting this information elsewhere soon, but it would be good to get FS-xxx into the TTS list now.

I would suggest not using FSR-xxx for Forest Service Road/Route because it is longer and somewhat redundant. Just "Forest Service XXXX" would suffice as is done for "State Route xxxx," etc.


Vector, to the uninitiated, a state route is still an obvious road designation. But to the uninitiated ear, being asked to turn onto "Forest Service 123" sounds strange and a little confusing . It may be a bit longer, but I would prefer Forest Service Road.
US Champ / Country Manager | State Manager NY, NJ, PA, CT, MA, RI, VT, ME, NH | Northeast ARC | Mentor | Responding to Map Issues
qwaletee
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs
 
Posts: 2849
Joined: Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:42 am
Location: NYC Metro - Active throughout NE^2 (Northeast & New England)
Has thanked: 227 times
Been thanked: 1093 times

Re: TTS and shield for FS-

Postby dbraughlr » Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:00 pm

In case this is a poll, I vote for "Forest Service". It doesn't seem strange or confusing to me, certainly not as strange as "Turn right onto Old William Pennsylvania Highway" or "Turn left onto Tee 800".

People who aren't familiar with these "roads" should have think about it before turning onto one.

Many of the roads have a normal name ending in "Trl" which is what will be pronounced in most cases. FS-nnxnn should be used to generate a shield because the route # is always important.

Let's just suppose that someone is uninitiated, lost, and confused. What's the difference between "Turn right onto [unintelligible] road 123" and "Turn right onto [unintelligible] 123"?

Half the time, I don't know what Waze is saying anyway. When it says turn, either I see the road and I turn, or I glance at the map to see where Waze thinks I should turn.
dbraughlr
 
Posts: 569
Joined: Tue Aug 13, 2013 2:24 am
Has thanked: 164 times
Been thanked: 98 times

Re: TTS and shield for FS-

Postby sketch » Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:29 pm

dbraughlr wrote:Let's just suppose that someone is uninitiated, lost, and confused. What's the difference between "Turn right onto [unintelligible] road 123" and "Turn right onto [unintelligible] 123"?

For lack of a better expression, "This."

We've had a lot of discussion here on state route naming and abbreviation standards, and while a lot of it is good, some of the arguments (especially SR-/"state route" vs. State Hwy) aren't very convincing, I think. So everyone says "highway" instead of "route" in whatever state, I really don't think anyone's going to be very confused when Waze tells them to turn on "State Route 526" when they think of it as "Highway 526". There's a sign with some shape and the number "526" on it. Unless that state's DOT is particularly sadistic, there aren't going to be three roads with the same number at that intersection.
ALL US EDITORS READ: New USA road type guidance
new orleans based • detroit enthusiast • usa country manager
2013 ford focus titanium hatchback 5mt • performance blue
Image Image
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
 
Posts: 5708
Joined: Sat Aug 08, 2009 6:13 pm
Location: New Orleans, LA
Has thanked: 1250 times
Been thanked: 1726 times

Re: Test of Text-to-Speech (TTS) Abbreviations in Waze Clien

Postby Thortok2000 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:52 am

What's ironic, sketch, is around here we don't call them state route or state hwy. We just call it '291.' MAYBE 'highway 291' and very, very rarely 'route 291.' But it's usually just '291.'

I've even caught newbie editors around here changing it to say that as well. =/
Image
ImageImage
Area Manager of Greenville, SC! ^_^
Thortok2000
Area Manager
Area Manager
 
Posts: 722
Joined: Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:01 am
Location: Greenville, SC
Has thanked: 190 times
Been thanked: 140 times

Re: TTS and shield for FS-

Postby qwaletee » Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:27 am

sketch wrote:
dbraughlr wrote:Let's just suppose that someone is uninitiated, lost, and confused. What's the difference between "Turn right onto [unintelligible] road 123" and "Turn right onto [unintelligible] 123"?

For lack of a better expression, "This."

We've had a lot of discussion here on state route naming and abbreviation standards, and while a lot of it is good, some of the arguments (especially SR-/"state route" vs. State Hwy) aren't very convincing, I think. So everyone says "highway" instead of "route" in whatever state, I really don't think anyone's going to be very confused when Waze tells them to turn on "State Route 526" when they think of it as "Highway 526". There's a sign with some shape and the number "526" on it. Unless that state's DOT is particularly sadistic, there aren't going to be three roads with the same number at that intersection.


To me, there is. When you hear the word road, you have better mental context. When you hear "Forest Service 123," you think "what the heck is that/" And when you're already nervous because you aren't sure where you're going, that can be the difference between being able to talk to your navigator later tonight, or having to wait until the morning, if you know what I mean.
US Champ / Country Manager | State Manager NY, NJ, PA, CT, MA, RI, VT, ME, NH | Northeast ARC | Mentor | Responding to Map Issues
qwaletee
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs
 
Posts: 2849
Joined: Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:42 am
Location: NYC Metro - Active throughout NE^2 (Northeast & New England)
Has thanked: 227 times
Been thanked: 1093 times

PreviousNext

Return to United States

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users