Test of Text-to-Speech (TTS) Abbreviations in Waze Clients

[ img ] This is the place to discuss issues that are relevant for locations in the US. For any other discussions, please use the main forums.

Moderator: MapSir

Re: Test of Text-to-Speech (TTS) Abbreviations in Waze Clien

Postby PhantomSoul » Mon Aug 11, 2014 4:20 pm

I would say go by what the GS says, unless you have a good case for deviating from that. For example, most of the Turnpike entrance signs in NJ have the word turnpike written out as a whole, with New Jersey abbreviated as NJ. So the Turnpike should be referenced as "NJ Turnpike" except when it appears on a BGS with lots of other roads, where it makes sense to shorten it to "NJ Tpk" to maximize how much of the ramp name will show in the client navigation banner. Both names are read the same way by TTS, but the difference just tries to improve the visual experience.

We have BGSes on I-287 in northern NJ that reference the Thruway in NY as "N.Y. Thruway" with the periods in N.Y. Southbound on the Garden State Pkwy approaching the Turnpike near Woodbridge, the sign still says "Del. Mem. Br." for the Delaware Memorial Bridge, and that exact phrase still will not be read by TTS correctly in Waze (I don't know if Mem. is a recognized abbreviation for Memorial). We have many old signs with legacy abbreviations all over the state here because according to NJDOT, a mere change to naming standards is not enough reason to replace an entire BGS. Even name changes often just get patched on the BGS with like a small plate that covers the old name with the new one.
PhantomSoul
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs

Postby KB_Steveo » Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:01 pm

PesachZ wrote:
PhantomSoul wrote:Conn. = Connecticut

Mass. = Massachusetts

N.H. = New Hampshire

R.I. = Rhode Island

Del. = Delaware

Tenn. = Tennessee

Ala. = Alabama

Fla. = Florida

In NY the signs for
Connecticut use CT
New York = NY

In Indiana, the signs use OH
KB_Steveo
State Manager
State Manager

Postby qwaletee » Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:07 am

Off topic, but I can't resist.

Near where I live are two streets that every map messes up. We have Boulevard (just plain, one word), and The Circle. Boulevard isn't so bad -- even if it is abbreviated "Blvd" most people can grok that as a complete name. But "The Cir" confuses the heck out of most newcomers.

It took me seconds to fix in Waze. It took me months to fix in Google and Bing.
qwaletee
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs

Location: NYC Metro - Active throughout NE^2 (Northeast & New England)

Postby sketch » Thu Aug 07, 2014 3:39 am

qwaletee wrote:sketch,

Are you saying to use these abbreviations even when BGS doesn't (i.e., a different abbreviation or fully spelled out)?

Yes and no. I would say to use these abbreviations even when the BGS uses a different abbreviation, but not when the BGS spells it out.

The reason to standardize on a particular list of abbreviations is that we can get that list set up as TTS abbreviations and guarantee that it will work that way.

I don't see any reason not to request multiple per state, but only ones that are used and that incorporate periods. For instance, I've heard of both "Pa." and "Penna." for Pennsylvania, and I don't see any reason not to include both.

Where a BGS spells it out, though, I imagine there's a reason for that, so I would say just spell it out. I imagine that's mostly the case where a ramp is signed for a particular state generally, so like, "to I-275 N / Indiana". To me, that's similar to the rule by which we spell it out in "The Avenue" but not in "Jackson Ave".
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby qwaletee » Thu Aug 07, 2014 3:18 am

sketch,

Are you saying to use these abbreviations even when BGS doesn't (i.e., a different abbreviation or fully spelled out)?
qwaletee
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs

Postby sketch » Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:33 pm

PesachZ wrote:In NY the signs for
Connecticut use CT
New York = NY

What signs I've seen use the old-fashioned abbreviations. My reasoning for using those, with periods, is not only to match signs, although it would match the ones I've seen. It's also to prevent conflict. If we make a rule and a chart saying, "Use the following abbreviations wherever a state name is used on a ramp sign: Ala. (Alabama), Alaska (Alaska), Ariz. (Arizona), Ark. (Arkansas), [...] N.C. (North Carolina), N.D. (North Dakota), [....]", we can have a definitive list.

We can go on all day about which two-letter USPS abbreviations conflict and which don't, but it's a lot easier to adopt a list that won't conflict with anything. The only TTS abbreviation I can think of that uses a period right now is "St." for "Saint".

I propose we use the AP Stylebook abbreviations reproduced in this article: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U ... reviations
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby PesachZ » Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:52 pm

PhantomSoul wrote:Conn. = Connecticut

Mass. = Massachusetts

N.H. = New Hampshire

R.I. = Rhode Island

Del. = Delaware

Tenn. = Tennessee

Ala. = Alabama

Fla. = Florida

In NY the signs for
Connecticut use CT
New York = NY
PesachZ
Wiki Master
Wiki Master

Postby Kayos_On_The_Road » Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:40 pm

There are a few diversions around the Vancouver area and we recently had a bit of a debate about whether to stick with "Divers" or switch to "Diversion". I thought I would post the two issues I was aware of here to get some feedback and see if it would be something to change in the next version or not.

Thanks,
Kayos
Kayos_On_The_Road
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby davielde » Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:29 pm

qwaletee wrote:I can see Divers being an issue, as it is also a word unto itself.

I may just be easier to spell out "Diversion". I have not encountered too many in Canada, but I'm not sure how popular it is outside of Ontario.
davielde

Postby qwaletee » Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:26 pm

I can see Divers being an issue, as it is also a word unto itself.
qwaletee
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs

PreviousNext

Return to United States