Test of Text-to-Speech (TTS) Abbreviations in Waze Clients

[ img ] This is the place to discuss issues that are relevant for locations in the US. For any other discussions, please use the main forums.

Moderator: MapSir

Re: Test of Text-to-Speech (TTS) Abbreviations in Waze Clien

Postby Bigbear3764 » Mon Jun 16, 2014 12:10 am

Chicagoans pronounce it Pull-as-kee

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bigbear3764
Country Manager
Country Manager

Postby PesachZ » Sun Jun 15, 2014 10:32 pm

Pulaski in pronounces as "pool-ah-sky" instead of how it should be (at least on the east cost) as Pool-ah-ski (pool-ah-skee)
PesachZ
Wiki Master
Wiki Master

Postby qwaletee » Fri Jun 13, 2014 9:30 pm

This is an old discussion.

Br can mean either Branch or Bridge in the real world. In TTS, unless there is some common pattern that would allow the TTS engine to differentiate the use cases, it has to be one or the other. Bridge is far more common, though Brg has much traction as well.

I'd be far more willing to sacrifice Branch to Bridge than the other way around. We can, perhaps, ask Waze to run us a report of every instance of "Br," and spell out all the Branch ones that we can find. It would be a big job, nonetheless, as each case would have to be examined, an determined to be Branch or Bridge.

Theoretically, yes, we could do it the other way around, and turn all Bridge instances of Br into Brg.
qwaletee
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs

Location: NYC Metro - Active throughout NE^2 (Northeast & New England)

Postby PesachZ » Fri Jun 13, 2014 2:42 pm

CBenson wrote:
PesachZ wrote:I've never seen branch referenced on a BGS myself but here are a bunch of bridges all in NYC

The problem is not that branch is referenced on a BGS, but rather whether it may appear on street signs (not that I've seen that either).

For what its worth the MdMUTCD (Maryland being the only state that has significantly added to the abbreviation list) received approval from the FHWA to add "Br" as an abbreviation for Branch.

table 1A-2 on page 31 wrote: Abbreviations That Shall be Used Only on Portable Changeable Message Signs

Bridge.............BR*, Br........ promt word [name]

* This abbreviation, when accompanied by the prompt word, may be used on traffic control devices other than portable changeable message signs.

Unless I misunderstood, Br cab be used to abbreviate both branch and bridge depending on context.

Sent using Tapatalk for Android 4.4.2
PesachZ
Wiki Master
Wiki Master

Postby CBenson » Fri Jun 13, 2014 11:04 am

PesachZ wrote:I've never seen branch referenced on a BGS myself but here are a bunch of bridges all in NYC

The problem is not that branch is referenced on a BGS, but rather whether it may appear on street signs (not that I've seen that either).

For what its worth the MdMUTCD (Maryland being the only state that has significantly added to the abbreviation list) received approval from the FHWA to add "Br" as an abbreviation for Branch.
CBenson
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby PesachZ » Fri Jun 13, 2014 6:23 am

GizmoGuy411 wrote:I've edited the BIG TTS List to correct an error regarding the sources of abbreviations for Bridge. The chart below also shows the corrected abbreviation sources and current usages.

Please note that nothing has ever been submitted to Waze for change for "Branch" or "Bridge". The current Waze abbreviation usage shown below is how it has always been. That implies that Nuance matched the USPS over MUTCD for their abbreviation choices for their mobile customized version of their Vocalizer TTS product. This does not mean that we can't fix it for Waze.

I agree that we should probably follow actual signs, along with MUTCD before USPS and Canada Post as much as is practical when there are conflicts.

I proposed the change below if we can confirm that signs use "Br" for "Bridge" and that there is more use of "Bridge" than "Branch".

Abbreviation Source - Word >BranchBridge
MUTCDn/aBr
USPS StandardBrBrg
USPS Common BrnchBr
Canada Postn/a n/a
Waze CurrentBr
Brnch
Brg
Waze Proposed
Change
remove Bradd Br

I've never seen branch referenced on a BGS myself but here are a bunch of bridges all in NYC
[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]

Here are some, if you need I can find others. In the meantime I will change these BGS to brg if they are br.

PesachZ
Wiki Master
Wiki Master

Postby sketch » Fri Jun 13, 2014 5:35 am

Rest assured "Br" is certainly used. One of the exits nearest my house serves "Huey Long Br", and a wayfinder-ish sign near downtown says "Miss River BR" (I'm not sure why the caps). As for "branch", I can't attest to that necessarily. I'm not familiar with any such roads, but it's possible I've come across them.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby GizmoGuy411 » Fri Jun 13, 2014 5:09 am

I've edited the BIG TTS List to correct an error regarding the sources of abbreviations for Bridge. The chart below also shows the corrected abbreviation sources and current usages.

Please note that nothing has ever been submitted to Waze for change for "Branch" or "Bridge". The current Waze abbreviation usage shown below is how it has always been. That implies that Nuance matched the USPS over MUTCD for their abbreviation choices for their mobile customized version of their Vocalizer TTS product. This does not mean that we can't fix it for Waze.

I agree that we should probably follow actual signs, along with MUTCD before USPS and Canada Post as much as is practical when there are conflicts.

I proposed the change below if we can confirm that signs use "Br" for "Bridge" and that there is more use of "Bridge" than "Branch".

Abbreviation Source - Word >BranchBridge
MUTCDn/aBr
USPS StandardBrBrg
USPS Common BrnchBr
Canada Postn/a n/a
Waze CurrentBr
Brnch
Brg
Waze Proposed
Change
remove Bradd Br
GizmoGuy411
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Postby sketch » Thu Jun 12, 2014 7:31 pm

AlanOfTheBerg wrote:If you check the TTS testing file in the OP, "Br" is supposed to be "Branch" as a USPS standard. "Brg" is supposed to be used for Bridge.

If there are enough "Branch" roads out there I guess I'll keep quiet, but it's a bit weird that we follow the USPS and not the MUTCD for this, since Waze is more sort of a "traffic control device" in a way. The MUTCD standard is "Br" for "Bridge" – but then, the MUTCD doesn't include several of the less-common street name suffixes.

I think this is the only instance of an MUTCD abbreviation that is expanded to something different in Waze.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby PesachZ » Thu Jun 12, 2014 4:43 pm

AlanOfTheBerg wrote:
PesachZ wrote:
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:[quote="PesachZ"]...RFK Br is sounding like RFK branch
https://www.dropbox.com/s/7fphov5fayuoc ... 743-23.mp3

Did we ever get "Br" submitted to be "Bridge"?

it worked elsewhere I'll try to get another audio file

If you check the TTS testing file in the OP, "Br" is supposed to be "Branch" as a USPS standard. "Brg" is supposed to be used for Bridge.[/quote]
Thanks. I'll fix the name and test the br to see if they say bridge or branch.

PesachZ
Wiki Master
Wiki Master

PreviousNext

Return to United States