Test of Text-to-Speech (TTS) Abbreviations in Waze Clients

Image This is the place to discuss issues that are relevant for locations in the US. For any other discussions, please use the main forums.

Moderator: MapSir

Re: Test of Text-to-Speech (TTS) Abbreviations in Waze Clien

Postby sketch » Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:13 am

Do you have a permalink to this? Separate signs is often a sign (pun not intended :? ) that the first segment should be unnamed and the second group of segments' names allowed to carry through to the first as well.

Most of the time, an exit will have only one sign, which may have a number of shields and cities. The rule for multiple signs in one instruction was drafted to parallel the behavior of one sign in one instruction. Consistency is important for those users who navigate by either highway numbers or city names—they'll expect to hear those parts in the same place each time.

I understand where you're coming from, though. I'd like to see this specific junction to assess whether leaving the first segment unnamed is a potential solution. I prefer to use it wherever practicable when there are two or more signs for the same exit, especially where those signs might give you a head start on knowing the better lane to be in.
ALL US EDITORS READ: New USA road type guidance
new orleans based • detroit enthusiast • usa country manager
2013 ford focus titanium hatchback 5mt • performance blue
Image Image
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby dbraughlr » Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:23 am

I was in the process of adding a permalink while you were responding. You can follow it forward and try to determine on which signs the instructions should be based.

This is not exactly an exit. US-50E, SR-99S, and biz 80E split. Biz-80E goes to the right. But immediately thereafter, the exit for SR-99S is to the right and Biz 80E takes the flyover to the left (north).

The first sign is clearly intended to give traffic a head start on the SR-99S exit by including the yellow "exit only" marking above a pair of lanes. And that the real deal: If you aren't in one of the left two lanes at that point, you will have trouble exiting to Fresno.
Last edited by dbraughlr on Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
dbraughlr

Postby sketch » Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:29 am

This is a perfect candidate for leaving the first ramp segment unnamed. That way your first instruction will be "exit right" to whichever second ramp you're going to, then the second instruction will be "stay to the" whichever is appropriate.

This setup is discussed in the Junction Style Guide, under Highway/Freeway Junctions, Ramp to Ramp Splits, Naming.
Image Image
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby Thortok2000 » Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:08 pm

Based off the picture, I would name that "to I-80 Bus E / SR-99 S / Reno / Fresno"

While I wouldn't object to doing columns first, I'd probably eventually come along and rename it that way, just because I agree that I care more about SR-99 S being on this split (especially if I'm going that way) than I do about Reno being on the split.

Essentially, I follow the column idea that you advocate except I prioritize numbered roads over cities. In my opinion, cities are a bonus to give extra detail, the name of the road you'll actually be driving on is more important.

Then I'd name the following ramps "to I-80 Bus E / Reno" and "to SR-99 S / Fresno"

Even if the original split has a long name, it would have enough time to spit out the vital 'keep right' or 'keep left' beginning of the next instruction, especially if it interrupted itself to do so, which I believe it should if it doesn't already.

Plus, if the user is actually using the visual indicators on the device as well, there shouldn't be any doubt about which way to go.

Plus, if the segment really is that short a distance in time to travel, the instructions should say "keep right and then keep left" 500 feet out from the first split. Perhaps upping the minimum distance before an 'and then' prompt could be useful as well, especially when traveling at high speeds.

If none of the above was accurate and users were not getting the vital 'keep left' or 'keep right' in time then I'd change the name of the first split into "to I-80 Bus E / SR-99 S" and see if that worked, and if that still didn't work then I'd remove the name and leave that segment unnamed so that the name of the next split they're taking would populate to the first split.

I would, however, prefer to name signs accurately and let the TTS handle it, interrupting itself if need be, and/or giving the instructions further out so it has time to speak them. Only if it's a confirmed TTS fail from like a UR or something would I start simplifying or removing names.
ImageImage
Area Manager of Greenville, SC! ^_^
Thortok2000
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby CBenson » Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:44 pm

I agree with sketch, the segment should be unnamed.
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.3.0.2
CBenson
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby CBenson » Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:23 pm

I had thought that "St." at the beginning of a name was voiced as "Saint." But this segment is currently spoken as "Street Stephens Church Road" for me.
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.3.0.2
CBenson
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby sketch » Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:17 pm

CBenson wrote:I had thought that "St." at the beginning of a name was voiced as "Saint." But this segment is currently spoken as "Street Stephens Church Road" for me.

Possibly because of the period? We have "St Claude Ave" here and it's always said "Saint", at least as far as I know. I go there relatively often.
Image Image
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby vectorspace » Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:43 pm

To revisit requests for US Forest Service and Indian Reservation Roads, I did a partial test driving around on my local test range (abandoned neighborhood on a base) while navigating.

FS-xxx is currently pronounced the two letters as "eff, ess" then the remainder. This will be more flexible than FSR because it can be used in the future with trails as well as roads.

BIA-xxx is currently pronounced as a word, which sounds like "by - ya."

I forgot to test IRR and ITR, but will soon.

Here's what should be pronounced based upon my research and work with the two topics...

FS-xxx to be pronounced "Forest Service."
BIA-xxx to be pronounced "B, I, A" - just the letters.
IRR-xxx to be pronounced "Indian Reservation Road"
ITR-xxx to be pronounced "Indian Tribal Road"
vectorspace
vectorspace

Re: Forest Service and Bureau of Indian Affairs

Postby dbraughlr » Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:02 am

There are prefixes like "I-" and "US-" don't get special pronunciation.
For all these that you propose, I would be fine with just the letters being pronounced.

Otherwise, what the harm is there in shortening them?
  • IRR-xxx → "Reservation Road".
  • ITR-xxx → "Tribal Road".
dbraughlr

Re: Forest Service and Bureau of Indian Affairs

Postby kentsmith9 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:58 am

dbraughlr wrote:There are prefixes like "I-" and "US-" don't get special pronunciation.
For all these that you propose, I would be fine with just the letters being pronounced.

Otherwise, what the harm is there in shortening them?
  • IRR-xxx → "Reservation Road".
  • ITR-xxx → "Tribal Road".

Are you proposing two possible options for "IRR-123" to be pronounced either
1. "Eye Are Are One Two Three"
or
2. "Reservation Road One Two Three"

Was there a desire not to have it say the whole thing, or were you just offering ideas to shorten it?
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

PreviousNext

Return to United States