Test of Text-to-Speech (TTS) Abbreviations in Waze Clients

Image This is the place to discuss issues that are relevant for locations in the US. For any other discussions, please use the main forums.

Moderator: MapSir

Re: Forest Service and Bureau of Indian Affairs

Postby bgodette » Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:35 pm

kentsmith9 wrote:
dbraughlr wrote:There are prefixes like "I-" and "US-" don't get special pronunciation.
For all these that you propose, I would be fine with just the letters being pronounced.

Otherwise, what the harm is there in shortening them?
  • IRR-xxx → "Reservation Road".
  • ITR-xxx → "Tribal Road".

Are you proposing two possible options for "IRR-123" to be pronounced either
1. "Eye Are Are One Two Three"
or
2. "Reservation Road One Two Three"

Was there a desire not to have it say the whole thing, or were you just offering ideas to shorten it?
Perhaps the reasoning is much like with County Roads. The generic is just County Road even tho they may be signed or locally known as <Countyname> County Road ###.
ImageImage
bgodette
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Re: Forest Service and Bureau of Indian Affairs

Postby kentsmith9 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:35 pm

bgodette wrote:
kentsmith9 wrote:
dbraughlr wrote:There are prefixes like "I-" and "US-" don't get special pronunciation.
For all these that you propose, I would be fine with just the letters being pronounced.

Otherwise, what the harm is there in shortening them?
  • IRR-xxx → "Reservation Road".
  • ITR-xxx → "Tribal Road".

Are you proposing two possible options for "IRR-123" to be pronounced either
1. "Eye Are Are One Two Three"
or
2. "Reservation Road One Two Three"

Was there a desire not to have it say the whole thing, or were you just offering ideas to shorten it?
Perhaps the reasoning is much like with County Roads. The generic is just County Road even tho they may be signed or locally known as <Countyname> County Road ###.

Yes that does make sense. So I would support number 2 based on that logic for consistency.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

BI- prefix for interstate business loops

Postby dbraughlr » Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:34 am

txemt wrote:I've been spelling out "business". I'd rather have waze say "I-20 business" instead of "I-20 bus".

That's great if you want to do do that. Why don't you update the wiki so that we can update them all?

I propose that for a long-term solution for correct shields that we standardize a prefix ("BI-") for interstate business loops. Thus BI-20 would generate the correct shield and TTS (perhaps "biz loop twenty").
dbraughlr

Re: Test of Text-to-Speech (TTS) Abbreviations in Waze Clien

Postby txemt » Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:04 am

It'll say "bee elle" or "bl"
Just wazeting my time to help you waze your route smoothly.
txemt
Area Manager
Area Manager

Re: BI- prefix for interstate business loops

Postby dbraughlr » Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:51 am

txemt wrote:It'll say "bee elle" or "bl"

I would expect BI- to be pronounced bee eye without a TTS abbreviation translation.
My proposal is to add "BI-" to the TTS translation so that it is read how ever it is that we want it to be read, and to the shield translation to get a green shield.
dbraughlr

Postby davielde » Tue Mar 04, 2014 2:35 pm

dbraughlr wrote:I would expect BI- to be pronounced bee eye without a TTS abbreviation translation.
My proposal is to add "BI-" to the TTS translation so that it is read how ever it is that we want it to be read, and to the shield translation to get a green shield.

When I first started Wazing, I was very frustrated with numerous "Bus" TTS instructions where I drove. When I ranked high enough and became an AM, anything in my assigned area with "Bus" (per the Road Naming (USA) wiki page...) transitioned to "Business" spelled out like txemt stated.

"Business" is understandable to the ear whether it is a loop or a spur. I know that "Business Interstate" encompasses both loops and spurs, but in my region, that term is not used. We just say "Business Loop" and "Business Spur" depending on the route. Is "Business Interstate" used in common speech and signage outside of the Midwest? If so, I would be fine with "BI" but would likely still retain "Business" on local route names so as not to interfere with "loop" and "spur" signage and local speech. Perhaps add "BL" and "BS" to supplement?
CM: USA
SM: Michigan, Vermont
AM: Ann Arbor, MI & Thunder Bay, ON
WME Michigan
davielde
Country Manager
Country Manager

Postby dbraughlr » Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:50 pm

davielde wrote:"Business" is understandable to the ear whether it is a loop or a spur. I know that "Business Interstate" encompasses both loops and spurs …

How about "BI-" → business eye to be generic for loops and spurs?
dbraughlr

Postby davielde » Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:31 pm

dbraughlr wrote:
davielde wrote:"Business" is understandable to the ear whether it is a loop or a spur. I know that "Business Interstate" encompasses both loops and spurs …

How about "BI-" → business eye to be generic for loops and spurs?

We could use "Business Loop 94", and "Business 94", and "Business I-94" ("eye") interchangeably without sounding strange and still follow signage. "Business Eye" would work.

I was focused solely on interstates this morning after reading the last few posts. After thinking more about it though, business routes for US highways are also common, and Michigan even has a few business routes for state trunklines (i.e. "Business M-60"). I wouldn't propose anything state-specific, but where would "Business US-[#]" routes fall? In making things convenient from a TTS and shield-generating standpoint for interstate business routes only using "BI-", are we sacrificing consistency with US business routes, or should potential abbreviations be discussed with those in mind as well? "BUS-[#]" likely wouldn't work as we know how that is pronounced...
CM: USA
SM: Michigan, Vermont
AM: Ann Arbor, MI & Thunder Bay, ON
WME Michigan
davielde
Country Manager
Country Manager

Postby dbraughlr » Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:40 pm

davielde wrote:… where would "Business US-[#]" routes fall? In making things convenient from a TTS and shield-generating standpoint for interstate business routes only using "BI-", are we sacrificing consistency with US business routes, or should potential abbreviations be discussed with those in mind as well? "BUS-[#]" likely wouldn't work as we know how that is pronounced...

I think "BUS-" (business alternate or biz alt) is fine for business alternate route. But there is a conflict if TTS interprets Bus or bus the same as "BUS".
dbraughlr

Postby txemt » Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:47 pm

dbraughlr wrote:
txemt wrote:I've been spelling out "business". I'd rather have waze say "I-20 business" instead of "I-20 bus".

That's great if you want to do do that. Why don't you update the wiki so that we can update them all?

I propose that for a long-term solution for correct shields that we standardize a prefix ("BI-") for interstate business loops. Thus BI-20 would generate the correct shield and TTS (perhaps "biz loop twenty").

Talk to GizmoGuy on the TTS stuff. He's the goto for that.
Just wazeting my time to help you waze your route smoothly.
txemt
Area Manager
Area Manager

PreviousNext

Return to United States