Test of Text-to-Speech (TTS) Abbreviations in Waze Clients

[ img ] This is the place to discuss issues that are relevant for locations in the US. For any other discussions, please use the main forums.

Moderator: MapSir

Re: Test of Text-to-Speech (TTS) Abbreviations in Waze Clien

Postby DrDisaster » Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:39 pm

Last edited by DrDisaster on Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DrDisaster

Postby DrDisaster » Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:38 pm

Chili Ave.

Chili is not pronounced like the food or chilly weather. It should be a long I like eye. Ch-eye-l-eye

https://www.waze.com/editor/?env=usa&lo ... ,505210403
DrDisaster

Postby sketch » Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:10 pm

Oranges13 wrote:Here's a broken pronounciation:

Street name is "Riley Ridge" should be abbreviated "Riley Rdg" but TTS says Arr Dee Gee.

https://www.waze.com/editor/?env=usa&lo ... s=87888722

"Rdg" is not a supported abbreviation. The street should be named "Riley Ridge".

We do not follow signs verbatim in the case of abbreviations. See, for example, any freeway sign (always "North" on BGS, always "N" on Waze).
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby Oranges13 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:14 pm

Here's a broken pronounciation:

Street name is "Riley Ridge" should be abbreviated "Riley Rdg" but TTS says Arr Dee Gee.

https://www.waze.com/editor/?env=usa&lo ... s=87888722
Oranges13

Postby microSDHC » Sat Mar 11, 2017 6:20 am

xanderb wrote:
microSDHC wrote:One of the streets that I turn on is pronounced "Monroe Ter" instead of the full pronunciation of "Monroe Terrace".

I am not able to get Jane to reproduce. Can you tell us more specifically where it says it and how you are set up? Is it turning left/right from Monroe or one of the side streets? Does it occur only from phone audio or from bluetooth?

xanderb

It occurs on when heading northbound on S. Monroe St and then making a left onto "Monroe Ter". It occurs over bluetooth. Tomorrow, I'll try just phone audio.
microSDHC

Postby xanderb » Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:28 pm

microSDHC wrote:One of the streets that I turn on is pronounced "Monroe Ter" instead of the full pronunciation of "Monroe Terrace".

I am not able to get Jane to reproduce. Can you tell us more specifically where it says it and how you are set up? Is it turning left/right from Monroe or one of the side streets? Does it occur only from phone audio or from bluetooth?

xanderb
xanderb
Local Champ Mentor
Local Champ Mentor

Postby microSDHC » Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:34 am

Hi all,

One of the streets that I turn on is pronounced "Monroe Ter" instead of the full pronunciation of "Monroe Terrace". I checked the wazeopedia and "Ter" is the correct abbreviation and additionally, listening to the street name on the Waze Map Editor pronounces it correctly.

Here's the segment: https://www.waze.com/editor/?env=usa&lo ... s=78536599
microSDHC

Postby abc1357 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:09 am

Kartografer wrote:Why not just test the name on a nearby road segment, and then if it sounds right put that name on the place?

Duh! Should have thought of that. Interesting - the English voice for "Va de Vi" pronounces it as "V A de Vee". As in the Letter V, Letter A, sound "duh", sound "vee". I tried "Va. de Vi" with a period and it's voiced as "V A de Vee" also. I tried "Vaa de Vi" and it's voiced as "V A A de Vee"

sketch wrote:No, this should be handled by the TTS team. "Va" with no period and a lowercase "a" should be pronounced as a word. (And "Va."—an accepted, if old-fashioned, abbreviation—should be pronounced as "Virginia")

Since the restaurant was about 10 min out of my way, I decided to drive over and hear exactly what was announced. Using English (US) (Jane) on Android Release 4.19.0.3, the app definitely voiced "Virginia duh vee".

So we now have a case where not only is the pronunciation on the app incorrect, but the pronunciation by WME is different from what is voiced by Jane.

Given that I can't get a pronunciation of "Va" (rhymes with "far"), I'll leave this up to the TTS team.
abc1357
Map Editor - level 3
Map Editor - level 3

Postby sketch » Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:00 pm

abc1357 wrote:There is a restaurant named "Va de Vi". Unfortunately, Waze pronounces it as "Virginia de Vi". What's the best way of fixing? Could I put it in as "Va. de Vi" as the primary to aid pronunciation and put in "Va de Vi" as alternate name to enable search?

Unfortunately, unlike road segments, there is no "voice" button next to it to test. So I have to wait for a tile update AND drive over there to test....

No, this should be handled by the TTS team. "Va" with no period and a lowercase "a" should be pronounced as a word. (And "Va."—an accepted, if old-fashioned, abbreviation—should be pronounced as "Virginia")
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby Kartografer » Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:33 pm

abc1357 wrote:Unfortunately, unlike road segments, there is no "voice" button next to it to test. So I have to wait for a tile update AND drive over there to test....

Why not just test the name on a nearby road segment, and then if it sounds right put that name on the place?
Kartografer
Wiki Master
Wiki Master

PreviousNext

Return to United States