Test of Text-to-Speech (TTS) Abbreviations in Waze Clients

[ img ] This is the place to discuss issues that are relevant for locations in the US. For any other discussions, please use the main forums.

Moderator: MapSir

Re: Test of Text-to-Speech (TTS) Abbreviations in Waze Clien

Postby ctpoole » Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:49 pm

Remember you can put E, S, W or N inside single quote marks and then the Waze app says the letter and not the expansion. That is 'E' for example. It is not the perfect solution, but it does work.
ctpoole

Postby PhantomSoul » Wed Nov 13, 2013 4:36 pm

qwaletee wrote:
GizmoGuy411 wrote:
orbitc wrote:I have a few instances as well:

to Garden State Pkwy N wasn't correct. It read as "enn" not as "North"
Also, it's reading "Dr" as Doctor.

Is "Dr" being pronounced as "Doctor" wide spread or isolated?

Can you send me some examples?

I want to know if there is any correlation to the occurrence of "Sulgrave Dr" being pronounced as "Sulgrave Doctor" that we have found before in multiple locations.

Yeah, love those. Been bitten by them a few times. And why I say bite, I mean by a fit of laughter.

I also saw a UR flaming Waze for 9W. I'm not sure exactly what Waze spoke, but the complaint was that there are two separate NY highways, 9 and 9W, and blah blah blah east and west of Hudson River. UR was on 9W, maybe Waze said "to route 9 west," which he took to mean "state route 9, direction west."

There ought to be a way to flag a piece of text as being "non-abbreviated," so that Waze pronounces it exactly as-is. Or, alternatively, a way to type in the pronounced version of a segment name, so that Waze speech in fine tuned for a problematic reading.

I've actually seen exactly what you were talking about when I was up in Newburgh last week. My guess would be that someone (I didn't look at the segments in WME) made the road US-9 instead of US-9W (what it probably should be) in order to get the shield to render correctly. Currently shields do not draw correctly for any highway that has a letter as part of its number (this occurs a lot in New York). In any case, this is a bad reason, because the shield rendering engine is being fixed to accommodate highway markers with letters on them.

Also, I believe at one time the TTS would read US-9W as You Ess Nine West, so the W may have been removed to prevent confusion on the road that actually runs north/south. I think that's supposed to be fixed now - so as if the W is in the same word (not separated by a space) as a highway number (in this case, US-9), it will be read as W and not West. So I would imagine the road should be changed back to US-9W.

Any thoughts from Hudson Valley area managers?
PhantomSoul
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs

Postby qwaletee » Wed Nov 13, 2013 3:17 pm

GizmoGuy411 wrote:

I want to know if there is any correlation to the occurrence of "Sulgrave Dr" being pronounced as "Sulgrave Doctor" that we have found before in multiple locations.

Yeah, love those. Been bitten by them a few times. And why I say bite, I mean by a fit of laughter.

I also saw a UR flaming Waze for 9W. I'm not sure exactly what Waze spoke, but the complaint was that there are two separate NY highways, 9 and 9W, and blah blah blah east and west of Hudson River. UR was on 9W, maybe Waze said "to route 9 west," which he took to mean "state route 9, direction west."

There ought to be a way to flag a piece of text as being "non-abbreviated," so that Waze pronounces it exactly as-is. Or, alternatively, a way to type in the pronounced version of a segment name, so that Waze speech in fine tuned for a problematic reading.
qwaletee
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs

Location: NYC Metro - Active throughout NE^2 (Northeast & New England)

Postby orbitc » Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:35 pm

sketch wrote:
orbitc wrote:Parkway issue is new to me. Happened going north. I don't think it happens all the time.

Just to be clear, issues with "N" not returning "North" have been reported a few times recently. I haven't heard any issues with "Pkwy" not returning "Parkway" (the one reported issue was actually just a typo, "Pwky").

I didn't mean to confuse, I was referring to "N" after the parkway.
orbitc
Master Raider
Master Raider

Postby sketch » Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:55 pm

orbitc wrote:Parkway issue is new to me. Happened going north. I don't think it happens all the time.

Just to be clear, issues with "N" not returning "North" have been reported a few times recently. I haven't heard any issues with "Pkwy" not returning "Parkway" (the one reported issue was actually just a typo, "Pwky").
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby orbitc » Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:10 pm

GizmoGuy411 wrote:

Ok... "Dr" as "doctor" happened 1 particular address so far. I've did some test around town and it worked fine ("Dr" as "Drive").

Parkway issue is new to me. Happened going north. I don't think it happens all the time.
orbitc
Master Raider
Master Raider

Postby PhantomSoul » Mon Nov 11, 2013 5:20 pm

I've seen both happen, but only intermittently and only in some places. It seems like sometimes in some places, it would say Garden State Parkway North and other times in other places Garden State Parkway En.

Also, any updates on Br being read as branch despite many places using Br to mean Bridge? Or should we be using Brg for bridge, even though it conflicts with local signage?
PhantomSoul
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs

Postby AndyPoms » Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:18 pm

bart99gt wrote:
AndyPoms wrote:
bart99gt wrote:I read through the first few pages, and last few pages of this thread, and didn't see this mentioned.

Is Waze in the process of adopting standard USPS two letter state identifiers to TTS? As I'm sure everyone is aware, Waze currently just says the letters individually, it would be nice to have it actually pronounce the actual state name, either when used as part of a highway name, or as a City, State type reference.
This has been requested. However Waze doesn't say the letters in all cases, "CT" is pronounced "Court", "NY" is pronounced "North Why", etc.

We've also made a request to have things such as "CA-##", "NY-##", "MI-##", "LA-##" translate into the local "Route"/"Highway"/"El Ay"/etc name as well. This one is much longer term.

Very good, I figured that it probably had been, but sifting through 50 some pages would have been a bit tedious.

A lot of the State name stuff is covered in the Spreadsheet (linked to in the VERY first post).
AndyPoms
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby bart99gt » Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:55 pm

AndyPoms wrote:
bart99gt wrote:I read through the first few pages, and last few pages of this thread, and didn't see this mentioned.

Is Waze in the process of adopting standard USPS two letter state identifiers to TTS? As I'm sure everyone is aware, Waze currently just says the letters individually, it would be nice to have it actually pronounce the actual state name, either when used as part of a highway name, or as a City, State type reference.
This has been requested. However Waze doesn't say the letters in all cases, "CT" is pronounced "Court", "NY" is pronounced "North Why", etc.

We've also made a request to have things such as "CA-##", "NY-##", "MI-##", "LA-##" translate into the local "Route"/"Highway"/"El Ay"/etc name as well. This one is much longer term.

Very good, I figured that it probably had been, but sifting through 50 some pages would have been a bit tedious.
bart99gt
Country Manager
Country Manager

Postby orbitc » Mon Nov 11, 2013 2:53 am

GizmoGuy411 wrote:

I noticed it when I visited an address. Do you need the address? I can take a look at it if it does elsewhere.
orbitc
Master Raider
Master Raider

PreviousNext

Return to United States