This is the place to discuss issues that are relevant for locations in the US. For any other discussions, please use the main forums.

General question regarding town names on the map

Post by RadioDog
This is a followup to two questions posed recently in the Michigan forum. The first was to address a couple URs regarding Fairview, MI:
viewtopic.php?f=630&t=154075

The second was to address my own question regarding Luzerne, MI:
viewtopic.php?f=630&t=155817

In the first case, our Regional Coordinator created the name "Fairview" on the main roads, and "Fairview" immediately became visible on the map. In the second case, I went through all the relevant roads in Luzerne and did what I thought was the same, but it is still not showing on the map in spite of being searchable.

A similar issue exists with other smaller (mostly un-incorporated but recognized by the Post Office and on other map resources including Google Maps) towns in the region.

How does the system decide to show a town? What is the difference between what happened in Fairview and what happened (or has yet to happen) in Luzerne? And, finally, where can I learn about the mechanisms and policies behind these system decisions?

Thank you!

Pete. . .
RadioDog
RadioDog

POSTER_ID:17070446

Send a message

Post by RadioDog
I think the answer is in this post:

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=25434#p228749

Bottom line is that the city layer that is in our control doesn't update very often. Luzerne is now showing up on the map - it just took a while!

Onward.
RadioDog
Send a message