Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
This is the place to discuss issues that are relevant for locations in the US. For any other discussions, please use the main forums.

Starbucks in security clearance area causing trouble

Post by
What can be done about this?

Starbucks apparently has a store here, which is inside the SLAC National Accelerator Lab campus. This is a private campus to which no one without proper security clearance can access.

That Starbucks location is returned in Waze for anyone who searches for "Starbucks" nearby, even if they are well outside that secure campus. The listing is coming from Google. Waze does not have a place for it.

What can be done?

UR: Permalink

Thanks.

POSTER_ID:16997230

Send a message

Post by banished
We tend to set the wiki guidance to the lowest common denominator type of driver, who is completely oblivious, blindly following directions to a restaurant inside a restricted area. Can't fix stupid, but we try by not including fast food places in Waze. Frankly, I think it fruitless, too, but that's the present wiki.

https://wiki.waze.com/wiki/Military_Bases
https://wiki.waze.com/wiki/Private_Installations

Then, as VS notes, there's nothing stopping Gmap or other GPSs from doing the same thing. The problem isn't Waze, it's the driver. Garmin tells me, "Your destination is in a restricted area."
banished
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
GC, ARC, Veteran, CISSP, MCP

Post by CBenson
Another question I have is how one would define a secure area? The guards at the gate for Ft. McNair will let me on the base to go to the branch of my bank on the base. Only those that both don't have a military ID and have an account at my bank would know that the bank can be accessed.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.7.0.902

Post by CBenson
The problem is most editors will tell you that you need a military/gov't ID to access Ft. McNair, but I don't. I should be able to route there.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.7.0.902

Post by Fredo-p
This was discussed before, maybe it was just in a local HO I was in, but I'm against mapping anything beyond a security point. It's pointless.
Fredo-p
Send a message

Arizona Wiki | @Waze_Arizona Twitter
Verizon Samsung Galaxy S8+

Post by Fredo-p
Better yet, how about we get the staff locks off the Starbucks since it's been that way for far too long and there are still pending PURs.......by the staff themselves.

http://www.developermemes.com/wp-conten ... e-Meme.png
Fredo-p
Send a message

Fredo-p
Send a message

Post by Fredo-p
Does Waze assume since the user is given the option to check the description, they will do so each and every time, so why bother?
Fredo-p
Send a message

Post by Fredo-p
Yeah, like mapping a Subways that's located at the the farthest point, deep inside a Naval Base. Granted that base opens its doors to the public whenever ships return home or when it hosts the Coronado Speed Festival. Even then it's still not accessible to the public. Think of all the "foot longs" they could potentially be selling....
Fredo-p
Send a message

Post by Fredo-p
What it boils down to is how Wazers access search results. By having all the other search providers give options, there is nothing much we can do about it. It's pretty much up to Waze.
Fredo-p
Send a message

Post by Fredo-p
kentsmith9 wrote: But that is my point. Doesn't Waze show our POI first above all other sources? Therefore we have the first chance to push the driver away from an inaccessible location.
If that were the case, why are we still getting URs about poor routing due to google search results? The last one I did, just a few days ago, the person copy/pasted the address into the search. First choice was a Google search result.

Don't forget you also have the addresses that are pulled from appt or calendars (which ever it is). Is that a Waze preferred address or is it using POIs from Goggle? It sounds like Waze isn't the top search result.
Fredo-p
Send a message