This is the place to discuss issues that are relevant for locations in the US. For any other discussions, please use the main forums.

Baisc Understanding of Waze

Post by Bill_Scott
I found the wonderful product in an Uber ride. I really love the product. It reminds me of CB radio on steroids. But I am confused. It says that Waze needs an Internet connection (WiFi) in order to function. I have a Note4 and drove from DC to Mississippi without interruption (except for a tiny area as I got close to my home out in the sticks).

I suppose that my connection to the Internet is through my cell phone. Does that mean I am accumulating cell phone data the phone company will charge me for?

Secondly, my old cell phone is a Note2. It no longer has a telephone number, but I was able to connect to the Internet router in my office and download and install Waze without a problem. It found me on the GPS, but that's a far as I have gotten. My intention was to leave the Note2 in my car permanently, but the confusion is piling up. Will Waze work on the Note2 on the road since it no longer has a telephone number, or do you have to have an Internet connection on a cell phone that actually has a connection to AT&T?
Bill_Scott

POSTER_ID:17168829

Send a message

Post by ehepner1977
Yes, you did use data on your trip. Part of how Waze is useful is the real time traffic data that it used to route you around jams etc. Waze can only get that data with a connection to your phone. Also, the app only has a limited amount of memory to store map data do it does need to download the map data. In terms of how much data was used, the answer is not much. I didn't keep exact track, but I run Waze all the time in the car plus stream music and almost never use more than 5 gb total for all of my internet in a month.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
ehepner1977
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Answers: 4
Send a message

Post by nzahn1
Waze requires a near-constant internet connection. Most users use the built in cellular-data connection in their smart phones.

As far as data charges, you can limit your data usage by selecting your route while at home or work, but the App will check during the entire drive for the most up to date info, and possible faster routes. This does use data.

As an example, in the last 30 days, I used nearly 200 MB of cellular data on my iPhone 6s for Waze alone. Note that I am a heavy Waze user, and this might not be representative of your usage.
nzahn1
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

US Global Champ | MAR Coordinator | iOS Beta | WME Beta | Localizer
WME Profile | E-mail | MAR Forum | MAR Wiki | MD Twitter

Post by whoaitspete
If you go into Settings > Advanced Settings > Data Transfer you can see the data used since you opened the app that session

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
whoaitspete
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs
Send a message

USA Local Champ | NY State Manager | Android Beta Tester
Northeast Region Discord / NY Wazeopedia / Waze NY Twitter