This is the place to discuss issues that are relevant for locations in the US. For any other discussions, please use the main forums.

Google Mapmaker edits

Post by Trotskyist
It has come to my attention from a Google Top Contributor (equivalent to a champ, I believe) that it is inappropriate for us to move address pins in order to improve routing in Waze. In example, where someone's house is physically closer to a road behind their house that they don't have access to.

I have also specifically been informed that moving a poorly placed pin using information from GIS goes against their terms of service and is unacceptable. The only time we may make these edits is if the information comes from the local knowledge of users.

There have been multiple instances where a pin was 100 feet or miles away from the actual location and Waze would not route to any Waze place until the Google pin was fixed. Why does Waze so often prefer a Google pin over a Waze place and what can we do to fix issue centered around Google pins?

https://support.google.com/mapmaker/ans ... ic=2889733
Trotskyist

POSTER_ID:16987501

Send a message
Workers of the world, unite!

Post by CBenson
With regard to information sources, I'm not seeing a significant difference between GMM's policies and Waze's policies.

With regard to pin placement. In most circumstances edited waze data should override Google data in waze searches. Thus, in most cases if the standard for pin placements for GM causes the waze stop point for a destination to be erroneous, a solution is to add the correct data to the waze map.

If the correct data is in waze, but the Google data is still being used you can report that on the form discussed here. (Although I don't really know if that form is obsolete in favor of this one.)

Of course search problems can still arise where the there are differences in the data that cause waze to either 1) not determine that the waze data matches the search result or 2) cause waze to provide both the waze result and the Google result and the user selects the Google result. This is particularly common where waze and Google practices differ on fundamental data such as the city name for an address.

If the Google pin is not at its correct, by Google standards, location (or is completely erroneous), then I do not see any problem with submitting an edit in GMM to correct (or remove) the pin.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.7.0.902

Post by dchary2418
Please be sure that the Waze user completely clears the incorrect address locations from their cache of saved searches and their favorites list and start a brand new search before they begin navigating. Otherwise they will still be sent to the wrong location.

Dave
dchary2418
Send a message

Post by JB15TM
Based on the link, most moves can be satisfied by their criteria. You can see driveways in satellite view and GSV. Plus, many of these moves are fixing GMaps as well. Or don't they care if their own users are screwed?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
JB15TM
Master Raider
Master Raider
Send a message

Post by Trotskyist
Not quite. If the pin is at the proper address then according to their standards it belongs at the center of the building.

If the pin is a half-mile away from the proper spot how would you know where it belongs unless you live there? Even if you can see the mailbox in GSV can you honestly say you know that's the correct location without looking at GIS?

Don't get me wrong, I love fixing maps. It's just the conversation I had made it quite clear that what I was doing was wrong.
https://productforums.google.com/d/msg/ ... S7YDyBGAAJ
Trotskyist
Send a message
Workers of the world, unite!