State Specific Routes

Image This is the place to discuss issues that are relevant for locations in the US. For any other discussions, please use the main forums.

State Specific Routes

Postby R4CLucky14 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:37 pm

Recently, some states have been naming their state routes in various ways. For example, I believe Pennsylvania is "PA-XX", etc.

This idea should probably be built upon. For example, from what I read, I believe Maryland editors want their State Routes to be called "Route XX". However, Tennesseans normally refer to roads as "Highway XX".

Instead of the map editors inventing hacks and disagreements to get standards like these to work, I'm thinking we should ask Waze formally to set something up. Basically, I'm asking what you guys think of introducing (over the long-term), a standard of naming state routes "[State Abbreviation] - [Route Number]".

Then, each State could come to an agreement on how for Waze to display and pronounce these roads. Waze, if all works well, would parse similar to this:

(WME Name) "TN-153" -> (Display) "Hwy 153" / (TTS) "Highway 153"

This system would also allow the State's to eventually receive State-specific shielding with little headache.

If you guys think this is a decent enough of an idea, maybe we should acquire a list of the State's and how they would want it to be displayed on the client and sent to the TTS engine. Then we could see if Waze would comply with that list.

Here is the link:
https://skydrive.live.com/redir.aspx?ci ... vuxcisLStQ
Last edited by R4CLucky14 on Sat Mar 24, 2012 12:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tennessee Editors, paritipate in our Wikipage

Area Manager: Southeast Tennessee, USA. Includes Athens, Benton, Cleveland, Englewood, Greenback, Maryville, Madisonville, and surrounding areas.
Phone: HTC Thunderbolt, Verizon, Android 2.3.4.
R4CLucky14

Re: State Specific Routes

Postby CBenson » Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:20 pm

My preference for Maryland is:
(WME Name) "MD-2" -> (Display) "MD-2" / (TTS) "Maryland Two" (well actually my preference for the display is a state shield, but that is likely another issue especially for turn instructions).

The difference between Maryland and states like Pennsylvania and Louisianna is that my understanding is that they are fine with (TTS) "Pee Aih" and "Ell Aih" thus they can go forward without any adjustment from waze. I don't think there is consensus that (TTS) of "Em Dee" is acceptable for Maryland. If we can't get "Maryland Two," then I would rather have "Route 2" than "Highway 2."
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0, Waze 3.9.9.907
CBenson
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby tibble » Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:57 pm

Exactly, up here in PA we more often then not refer to our state as pee aye. I've never heard anyone say they want to go to enn jay, or see aye. For us i think we prefer pee aye instead of route ###.

The reason for this is everything here is route. US-422 is route 422. PA-30 is route 30. Since we have a very distinct state shield it makes more sense to say and show PA-30 since it describes [shield type] [number].
Area Manager: South Eastern PA, USA
Waze Beta 3.7.2.993 - iPhone 5, iOS 6.1.4
tibble

Postby Spil » Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:24 am

In New York (or at least in Upstate New York -- I can't speak for the metropolitan chunk on our southeast corner ;)), "Route ##" is the most frequently used appellation for federal and state routes. We would really have no trouble with TTS just saying "Route ##" for all of these.

"But," you might ask, "What if there's a NY route and a US route with the same number at the same place? Won't that be confusing?" No ... for the simple reason that NY routes are numbered in such a way that they do not coincide with the numbers of US routes in proximity to them. (There was one exception to this, where US-15 once became NY-15 at Exit 43 of I-86, just east of Corning ... but a few years ago, the southern end of NY-15 got truncated up to Exit 3 of I-390, so those two aren't close to each other now ... even though most of the signs in that area have not been updated to have NY-15 removed from them yet ;)).

Of course, to make it simpler, "US-15" should probably stay with the standard "you ess fifteen", while "NY-15" should be pronounced "Route Fifteen".
I'm Spil, and I approve this message! :D
~ ~ AM: Upstate NY; CM: USA/Canada ~ ~
Wazing the I-86 Corridor with my Casio C771 G'zOne Commando
New York Editors: To-Do List!
Spil
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

State Specific Routes

Postby FrisbeeDog » Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:57 am

In North Carolina, we generally refer to everything as highways instead of routes. So it is US Highway 1 or US-1, for short, for federal highways.

State highways are NC Highway 55 or NC-55. We don't say North Carolina but pronounce the letters "N" "C". No one ever says "State Highway ##", but we continue to use the "State Hwy ##" convention for shielding purposes.

So I totally support the move to road names such as US-## and NC-##.

As an aside, the only time we say "state" in the roads are for secondary roads that don't have a formal name and are numbered above 1000. Then we would say "State Road ####" and would shorten to "State Rd ####" for the client maps.
Level 6 Editor
Country Manager: US
Area Manager: Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, and Surrounding Areas of North Carolina
FrisbeeDog

Postby R4CLucky14 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:03 pm

Here is a spreadsheet we can work off of (anyone with this link should be able to edit ):

Area Manager: Southeast Tennessee, USA. Includes Athens, Benton, Cleveland, Englewood, Greenback, Maryville, Madisonville, and surrounding areas.
R4CLucky14

Postby CBenson » Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:37 pm

Hey, there's no DC.
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0, Waze 3.9.9.907
CBenson
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby R4CLucky14 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:47 pm

CBenson wrote:Hey, there's no DC.

I'm terribly sorry about that. I tend to forget about D.C., helps me forget about the crazy feds.

R4CLucky14

Postby AndyPoms » Sat Mar 24, 2012 12:56 am

R4CLucky14 wrote:Here is a spreadsheet we can work off of (anyone with this link should be able to edit ):

Can we include the US-## in this list too? Different states refer to them differently as well...
Waze Champ & Forum Moderator
USA Country Manager
Senior Area Manager: State of Connecticut
Wiki: Editing | Best Practices | FAQ
AndyPoms
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby R4CLucky14 » Sat Mar 24, 2012 1:23 am

AndyPoms wrote:
R4CLucky14 wrote:Here is a spreadsheet we can work off of (anyone with this link should be able to edit ):

Can we include the US-## in this list too? Different states refer to them differently as well...

Regretfully, if Waze parses "US-##" in a certain way, it would parse that way for all NA clients.

"TN-xx" would parse the same for all NA clients, as would "MD-xx" and "PA-xx", etc.

The only way to change how "US-xx" is stated is for Waze to use the state field, and then approach a similar method. If Waze wishes to go this method, then all state routes could be "SR-xx" for all states, be sure the State field is correct, and ask Waze to parse it accordingly. However, I'm unsure if Waze would be able to incorporate that.

R4CLucky14

Next

Return to United States