State Specific Routes

[ img ] This is the place to discuss issues that are relevant for locations in the US. For any other discussions, please use the main forums.

Moderator: MapSir

State Specific Routes

Postby traute » Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:31 am

jasonh300 wrote:Local naming referring to "John F Kennedy Ezpressway", rather than State Hwy 8999.

I'm not drunk...I'm using Tapatalk.

Me too, it's a bit challenging to use Tapatalk, but I am getting used to it.
traute

State Specific Routes

Postby jasonh300 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:27 pm

I've still got stretches of interstate that won't generate a shield.

jasonh300

State Specific Routes

Postby jasonh300 » Sun Mar 25, 2012 6:58 pm

Local naming referring to "John F Kennedy Ezpressway", rather than State Hwy 8999.

jasonh300

State Specific Routes

Postby Bigbear3764 » Sat Mar 24, 2012 3:04 pm

I'm with you guys on US routes. My problem is Wisconsin, they have state highways and county routes with letters like County NN, County A, etc. my dilemma is do I space out 2 letter routes so it pronounces it right, but waze will take that second N as North.

As long as all the decided abbreviations are put in the Wiki list. I always have that up so I can quick reference something with out digging through the forum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bigbear3764
Country Manager
Country Manager

State Specific Routes

Postby FrisbeeDog » Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:57 am

In North Carolina, we generally refer to everything as highways instead of routes. So it is US Highway 1 or US-1, for short, for federal highways.

State highways are NC Highway 55 or NC-55. We don't say North Carolina but pronounce the letters "N" "C". No one ever says "State Highway ##", but we continue to use the "State Hwy ##" convention for shielding purposes.

So I totally support the move to road names such as US-## and NC-##.

As an aside, the only time we say "state" in the roads are for secondary roads that don't have a formal name and are numbered above 1000. Then we would say "State Road ####" and would shorten to "State Rd ####" for the client maps.
FrisbeeDog

State Specific Routes

Postby R4CLucky14 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:37 pm

Recently, some states have been naming their state routes in various ways. For example, I believe Pennsylvania is "PA-XX", etc.

This idea should probably be built upon. For example, from what I read, I believe Maryland editors want their State Routes to be called "Route XX". However, Tennesseans normally refer to roads as "Highway XX".

Instead of the map editors inventing hacks and disagreements to get standards like these to work, I'm thinking we should ask Waze formally to set something up. Basically, I'm asking what you guys think of introducing (over the long-term), a standard of naming state routes "[State Abbreviation] - [Route Number]".

Then, each State could come to an agreement on how for Waze to display and pronounce these roads. Waze, if all works well, would parse similar to this:

(WME Name) "TN-153" -> (Display) "Hwy 153" / (TTS) "Highway 153"

This system would also allow the State's to eventually receive State-specific shielding with little headache.

If you guys think this is a decent enough of an idea, maybe we should acquire a list of the State's and how they would want it to be displayed on the client and sent to the TTS engine. Then we could see if Waze would comply with that list.

Here is the link:
https://skydrive.live.com/redir.aspx?ci ... vuxcisLStQ
Last edited by R4CLucky14 on Sat Mar 24, 2012 12:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
R4CLucky14

Re: State Specific Routes

Postby RallyChris » Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:04 am

I believe Tom Tom tried to do this, but was using awnings and building colors for the hints. I sure it was abandoned when they figured out how much updating was needed.
RallyChris

Postby R4CLucky14 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:39 pm

WeeeZer14 wrote:Hey we'd have the ultimate navigation for some people if we populate landmarks for businesses and Waze can say "turn left at the Burger King, then right at CVS" :lol:

I know my sister is that kind of driver ;) (I did get her and my father to both start using Waze just recently)

I think the Navigation Unit that can figure that out will be the one that takes the cake. It'd fit human dialog so much more.
R4CLucky14

Postby WeeeZer14 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:36 pm

Hey we'd have the ultimate navigation for some people if we populate landmarks for businesses and Waze can say "turn left at the Burger King, then right at CVS" :lol:

I know my sister is that kind of driver ;) (I did get her and my father to both start using Waze just recently)
WeeeZer14

Postby R4CLucky14 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:02 pm

WeeeZer14 wrote:I was born in Queens, so I actually remember learning that roads had numbers in addition to names. Heck, I remember learning that there were NAMES and not just letters like the BQE, LIE, GWB, NJTP, GSP etc. :lol:

Took me a while to grasp the meaning behind the 3DI concept though since many of the roads on Long Island have I-78 as the parent 2DI but none actually touch I-78!

Anyway, in casual conversation with friends/family in NY, I'd say most people use the names (even old names like the Triborough Bridge which has been renamed the Robert F. Kennedy Bridge as of 2008). But in NJ it is just the numbers.

I guess in totally casual conversation I tend to just use the numbers for all but interstates. But if I am giving directions or trying to be very clear about a location, that is when I add in a prefix of US or TN for example.

Perhaps I am thinking too wishfully that people could actually learn something (that there is a difference between the federal and state systems) while driving to work ;)

As far as most people care, they want the road to work and there to be some sort of sign with a number. They probably don't care about the shield, arrows, etc. Heck, numbers and SGS's are probably not even important. Maybe the average commuter just wants "Turn right, then turn left at the third red light, go straight through the stop sign, and your destination will be on your left" - I know I would trust Waze's engine if they could do that.
R4CLucky14

Next

Return to United States