This is the place to discuss issues that are relevant for locations in the US. For any other discussions, please use the main forums.

Ferry Road Type

Post by nzahn1
The Ferry Road Type was previously inactive; this is no longer the case. Global Champs have confirmed the Ferry road type is operational. In addition, the latest version of the Waze App displays a ferry symbol when routes contain a ferry crossing (see attachment). In order to keep the USA the best mapped country around, I propose the following wiki pages update:
A new Ferries/USA page. The new Ferries page is closely modelled after the global ferries page, with some modification for the USA, and for the new Ferry Road type.

An updated Road types/USA#Ferry section. The updated section would be moved to the drivable roads portion of the Road types page.

Both pages are in their first draft, and proof reading and content comments are welcome.
FullSizeRender.jpg
New Ferry Icon iOS 4.4.0
(18.96 KiB) Downloaded 848 times
Update 5/12/2016:
Both pages have been published:
nzahn1
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

POSTER_ID:301528

Send a message
Last edited by nzahn1 on Thu May 12, 2016 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

US Global Champ | MAR Coordinator | iOS Beta | WME Beta | Localizer
WME Profile | E-mail | MAR Forum | MAR Wiki | MD Twitter

Post by Inactive user -1649923503-
nzahn1 wrote:Update 5/12/2016:
Both pages have been published:
This is great and I am tackling the NY-VT ferries with these updated guidelines. Two quick questions as I reviewed the wiki guidelines
1- Does it make sense to add guidance to include enabling u-turns on road segment leading up to the ferry. Here an example
2 - Do we want to adjust the wording on the time restrictions to allow for loading time. So if the ferry departs at 6:30 and loads at 6:00 set the 6:00 as the time restriction, or just allow a 30 minute buffer if not know.
Inactive user -1649923503-
Send a message
-John
-------
https://j.mp/1BqcgbWhttps://s.waze.tools/c5.png
VT - State Manager
New England - Multi State Manager

Post by Inactive user -1649923503-
Great so the servers will Uturn you without it enabled. With the ferries along the VT/NY border you could use the ferry to a destination or go on alternative route. Just wanted to make sure people wouldn't get quirky Uturn involving a ferry.

And yes I finally got word back from the ferry company on when they recommended to arrive at

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Inactive user -1649923503-
Send a message
-John
-------
https://j.mp/1BqcgbWhttps://s.waze.tools/c5.png
VT - State Manager
New England - Multi State Manager

Post by bart99gt
Also, why the 2 hour limitation? I'm aware of at least a couple of ferries that while over two hours, are still shorter both in time and distance, than taking the mainland route(s).
bart99gt
Send a message
MAR LAM (W DC Suburbs)
MS/AR/Atlanta Metro AM

Post by dude463
We've switched to the Ferry Road Type in Washington State a few months ago. It seems to be working well and the crossing times are far more accurate than when they were set to other road types, usually Major Hwy.
dude463
Send a message
First I learned how to draw lines on a map. Now I must learn the art of Feng-ShWaze.

Post by htahta
Ferries USA
Nice part. I think that. The use off Toll need some more explanation.
Dual direction. Is this toll on the ramp or is it on the Ferry?
And single direction toll. That can not put on the Ferry. That is clear.
But is it correct shown in the app. (toll,ferry icon)
htahta
Send a message
[img]https:///MV4Na6[/img]
Local Champs
Country Manager Netherlands:
Benelux

Post by Lonewolf147
Just throwing my agreement with the process in here. Glad to see Ferries operational finally and looking forward to getting them implemented.
Lonewolf147
Send a message

Post by MatthewStarbuck
I second the motion.
MatthewStarbuck
Send a message
- Matthew
R3: USA
Commonwealth of Virginia

Post by nidnarb
johnsninja58 wrote:
This is great and I am tackling the NY-VT ferries with these updated guidelines. Two quick questions as I reviewed the wiki guidelines
1- Does it make sense to add guidance to include enabling u-turns on road segment leading up to the ferry. Here an example
Not sure why you would want to enable u turns on the road leading to ferry terminal. Waze already takes into account for u turns when rerouting. I would think that adding u turns might actually confuse routing. We have had no issues with our ferries here and do not have any u turns enabled.
2 - Do we want to adjust the wording on the time restrictions to allow for loading time. So if the ferry departs at 6:30 and loads at 6:00 set the 6:00 as the time restriction, or just allow a 30 minute buffer if not know.
All we want to do for the time restrictions is make sure that people are routed when the ferries are working. I dunno about your state, but here in WA we are told to arrive at least a 30 minutes to a hour early to catch the ferry. Adding those extra restrictions could possibly cause routing errors.
nidnarb
Send a message

Post by nzahn1
I've updated both wiki pages with new information/guidance now available. Please review and comment.

Also, construction templates added.

User:Nzahn1/Ferries/USA
User:Nzahn1/Road_types/USA#Ferry
nzahn1
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

US Global Champ | MAR Coordinator | iOS Beta | WME Beta | Localizer
WME Profile | E-mail | MAR Forum | MAR Wiki | MD Twitter