This is the place to discuss issues that are relevant for locations in the US. For any other discussions, please use the main forums.

Street Abbreviations Controversy (e.g. Pke for Pike)

Post by jbucklee
Hello all,

There are abbreviations for nearly every kind of road type (i.e. Road = Rd, Avenue = Ave, Boulevard = Blvd, etc.) with the intent on saving screen space in the Waze user app.

A few abbreviations are confusing and do not provide the benefit of significant screenspace savings from eliminating one letter: Pike = Pke, Way = Wy, and many others. Not only are these abbreviations confusing to the eye from their irregularity, but they also save little space with only one character being removed each. "Wy" is also the abbreviation for Wyoming if both characters were capitalized.

Should "Saint Martin's National Pike" be:

1. St. Martin's National Pke
2. Saint Martin's Nat'l Pke
3. St. Martin's Nat'l Pke
4. St. Martin's National Pike
and so on.

NOTE: If you don't put the period after the "St," TTL will read it as "Street Martin's."

I have spoken with many folks in the higher ranks and they are believed to be working on a strategy of clarification/unification of approach for these, IMHO, silly abbreviated road types.

Does anyone else have any additional confusing abbreviations to add to the conversation?
jbucklee
Area Manager
Area Manager

POSTER_ID:1048988

Send a message

Post by jbucklee
Would you mind clarifying the checkmark for US Only on that spreadsheet?

Does the checkmark mean
(1) These are the only allowed abbreviations in the list allowed in the US
OR
(2) All of these abbreviations are good, but only the ones with checkmarks are to be used in the US?

Thanks!
jbucklee
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by jbucklee
I remember learning the Pke abbreviation from a major road in my home neighborhood. I also learned the Wy one from other editors' work since I had never seen that before. That's what triggered all my questioning if some of these existing abbreviations.

Hopefully the new guidance will be a bit more clear and comprehensive. I feel we need to have even the unacceptable abbreviations included so people don't just do a search on Google for a bad answer in Waze.
jbucklee
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by jbucklee
Since these changes are fairly important, would it be difficult to add it to the local validator scripts?
jbucklee
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by jbucklee
jbucklee wrote:Since these changes are fairly important, would it be difficult to add it to the local validator scripts?
Not to be a bugaboo, but no one acknowledged my validator comment. Any chance it could be implemented?
jbucklee
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by jbucklee
Addition between Plaza and Road:
|Pke|
jbucklee
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by jbucklee
whoaitspete wrote:We currently have guidance on this. Pike and Way are not on the list of names that should be abbreviated.

https://wiki.waze.com/wiki/Abbreviation ... ronyms/USA

So for your example, you would use #4.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I finally figured out my confusion point in the wiki:
https://wiki.waze.com/wiki/Abbreviations_and_acronyms
I'm not sure that table should even be there. IMHO, just links to countries' pages of acceptable abbreviations seem more appropriate.

jbucklee
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by nzahn1
The current U.S. Guidance says that abbreviations should be used for suffixes.

But it also says the only abbreviations allowed are on that table.

'Pike' and 'way' fall between these two rules. We hope to update the guidance to fill-in the grey area soon.

nzahn1
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

US Global Champ | MAR Coordinator | iOS Beta | WME Beta | Localizer
WME Profile | E-mail | MAR Forum | MAR Wiki | MD Twitter

Post by nzahn1
qwaletee wrote:...
Thanks qwaletee!

Maybe there isn't a 'rule' for suffixes, but the wiki has a very black and white 'convention':
Abbreviations and acronyms/USA wrote:Waze convention is to use suffix abbreviations in street names. ("Main Rd" instead of "Main Road").
Whereas the language for 'approved' abbreviations is only a "recommendation":
Abbreviations and acronyms/USA wrote:The abbreviations and acronyms in this following table have been tested and are recommended to be used wherever applicable in Waze.
IMO, there is room for improvement in the wiki, and I understand that improvements are being worked on. I'll give an example below
As an example:
"Main Wy" adheres to the 'Waze Convention' of abbreviating suffixes, but breaks the recommendation to use the approved abbreviation.
"Main Way" follows the recommendation to only abbreviate based on the TTS list, but doesn't follow the 'Waze Convention' of abbreviating suffixes.

Which is worse to ignore: convention or recommendation?
This is the clarification I seek in the guidance
nzahn1
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

US Global Champ | MAR Coordinator | iOS Beta | WME Beta | Localizer
WME Profile | E-mail | MAR Forum | MAR Wiki | MD Twitter