This is the place to discuss issues that are relevant for locations in the US. For any other discussions, please use the main forums.

Difficult Left Turns

Post by MapSir
Hey Guys!

We're getting closer to opening this feature to all drivers in USA, please read the updates and if you have any questions let me know.

Avoid difficult intersections:

In metros around the world drivers find themselves at turns that may be legal, but are nevertheless nerve wracking due to limited visibility, constant flow of oncoming traffic, or lack of traffic light. The risk of these turns only worsen at high-volume traffic times, like rush hour.
Screen Shot 2015-03-29 at 10.38.29 AM.png
(1.05 MiB) Downloaded 1334 times
Today, we shall open the feature to 10% of the LA users in production. Just to verify that it is working well.
pasted image 0.png
(62.59 KiB) Downloaded 1337 times
On Wednesday, the feature will be open in North America (by default to all drivers).

Wazers in LA will get a push notification telling them about the feature.
They will also get an inbox message.
pasted image 0 (1).png
(95.36 KiB) Downloaded 1331 times
Next step will be enabling the editing of these turns in WME so you can add them anywhere.
These turns are not completely disabled in routing, but get a penalty to make them un-preferred.

Thanks!
MapSir

POSTER_ID:15274930

Send a message
MapSir

Post by GeekDriverPeaceful
About time! This feature will be extremely useful for NJ and NYC drivers (or any kind, patient driver ;) as we see many difficult intersections in our area! Thank you! Can this feature be applied in any kind of intersection? Does it have to be 90 degrees left turn? Some of difficult left turn in my area have 45 degrees or so but a micro dogleg should fix that... Again, I appreciate this feature and am looking forward to test it in my area!

Edit: As mention recently, this can be subjunctive. I think it would be logical to restrict this feature to L3 and provide guidance on which intersections to add this or not.
GeekDriverPeaceful
Send a message
Last edited by GeekDriverPeaceful on Thu Jun 16, 2016 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by GeekDriverPeaceful
I believe that it was implemented in Los Angeles but never heard about the wide release in North America
GeekDriverPeaceful
Send a message

Post by jaywazin
moogonk wrote:How do we handle the fact that this is all very subjective?

What one person reports as difficult, may not be difficult for 99% of everyone else.

Do we mark it difficult, based on one person's judgement? If not, how do we respond without saying, "We think you should be more assertive, this isn't so bad."?
I'm not sure this is a problem. People who are nonaggressive and the "granny driver" type will probably want the safer route. Those who just want to get there ASAP would probably disable the option to avoid difficult turns.

It would be interesting if

#1 (Not holding my breath for this). Wazers could enable an option to be prompted per drive whether they want to avoid difficult turns. 80% of the time when I'm not in a hurry I'd probably go the route avoiding difficult turns. But in the 20% of the time that I'm running late, I'd just prefer whatever the fastest is.

#2 If the decision of "difficult" could be set either by editor to encompass a time range (usually rush hour, right?) or perhaps using waze's intelligence to automatically figure out what hours the turns would be less preferred.

I'm also waiting with bated breath as to how exactly this is going to be implemented, since it's already hit the popular news that this is soon to be released, while we don't have much detail or guidelines on its implementation.
jaywazin
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs
Send a message

Post by jdelosa
Well I do agree that difficult has many meanings. And seeing as many of my fellow NY Editing Team members have weighed in here, it is something that might help is certain situations.
I do hope that the state managers will have time to review and add the proper guidance to there state wiki pages.
I am looking forward to having the option available....

Thanks John

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
jdelosa
PartnerCoordinator
PartnerCoordinator
Send a message

Post by KTCAOP
Sure, give it a shot, give us feedback!
KTCAOP
Send a message

Post by Machete808
I gather getting turns set as "difficult" requires intervention by staff, presumably at the request of a senior editor (SM? RC?). I assume access to that setting is going to be very restricted.

Further guidance required -- and appreciated! :-D
Machete808
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs
Send a message
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/on9 ... i.png?dl=0https://www.dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s ... x.png?dl=0
U.S. Local Champ
Hawaii State Manager
California State Manager
Country manager, U.S.
Welcome, new editors:
Here's a good place to start!

Post by Machete808
I would think that the option to set this restriction ought to be limited to AMs for their area, with confirmation by an SM or up. There needs to be some level of commitment to know and monitor the traffic patterns in your area before you get to check any boxes for a turn that gives you trouble.

I would be concerned about some visitor or short-timer editing in my zone making that decision. Visiting editors can send up a UR as a request.
Machete808
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs
Send a message
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/on9 ... i.png?dl=0https://www.dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s ... x.png?dl=0
U.S. Local Champ
Hawaii State Manager
California State Manager
Country manager, U.S.
Welcome, new editors:

Post by Machete808
PhantomSoul wrote:I hope the criteria for dangerous turns is way more conservative that what has been described here so far. With this criteria, just about any unsignaled left turn into any arterial road in any even remotely urban area would qualify as dangerous.
I share this concern. The push notification posted in the OP would indicate, however, that Wazers are being asked to post a UR "to suggest an intersection." So I assume this means local management will have some say in the restriction. Wish I knew more about the mechanism.
Machete808
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs
Send a message
U.S. Local Champ
Hawaii State Manager
California State Manager
Country manager, U.S.
Welcome, new editors:

Post by moogonk
How do we handle the fact that this is all very subjective?

What one person reports as difficult, may not be difficult for 99% of everyone else.

Do we mark it difficult, based on one person's judgement? If not, how do we respond without saying, "We think you should be more assertive, this isn't so bad."?
moogonk
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message
Moogonk
Country Manager & Multi-State Manager--CT, ME, MA, RI, VT. Rank 5 Resident New Hampshire State Manager

Sometimes you avoid the jam, sometimes you are the jam, and sometimes it's faster to go through the jam. - AndyPoms