This is the place to discuss issues that are relevant for locations in the US. For any other discussions, please use the main forums.

Pathfinder directions

Post by CBenson
When do you all try to create a keep left prompt when continuing on the freeway? Recently there was a discussion about the prompts on I-395 N in Washington, DC. However, that was a case of I-695 splitting of off I-395 (although I-695 is currently unsigned, its still a freeway/freeway split). I now have a UR on I-395 S suggesting that a keep left instruction is warranted here. Should we be trying to create keep left prompts at splits like this?
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps

POSTER_ID:1005502

Send a message
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.7.0.902

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
I'd say the way it is will work fine. Personally, I'd put a slash. Or if the vote for the "sketch-ramp" turns out to be "yes", use a colon to separate the shield name from the control city.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by CBenson
tibble wrote:5 lanes before the split, only the left 3 stay on the interstate.
Yes, in fact the four left lanes come from I-695, not I-395, so all those who come from and continue on I-395 must shift lanes to the left.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by CBenson
I don't know.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by jasonh300
It's a judgment call you're not going to be able to make just by looking at a map. You have to be driving, and realize you're faced with an urgent decision and Waze hasn't said anything. Then you look at the screen and see that you're in the wrong lane, but at that point, it's too late.
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by jondrush
Would a short ramp segment work better?
jondrush
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by tibble
5 lanes before the split, only the left 3 stay on the interstate. I would vote yes.

If you were in the right 2 lanes you would need to get over to stay on the interstate...
tibble
Send a message
Area Manager: South Eastern PA, USA
Waze Beta 3.7.2.993 - iPhone 5, iOS 6.1.4
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/7/76/W ... 00k_4c.png

Post by WeeeZer14
Here are some examples of my latest "standard" I've used for complex freeway to freeway junctions:

I-40 / I-640 outside of Knoxville (to the East)

I-40 / I-81

I-40 / I-75 split west of Knoxville

If it is possible to be in a travel lane for a few miles and that travel lane only goes to one branch of the split, I assume that reassurance directions are needed. The first and third examples I provided did generate user requests that directions were needed in the client at these points. The second didn't have any URs in Waze, but every time I drive there cars are jumping left and right like crazy trying to get in the correct lane.

To facilitate the directions, I used short ramp segments. These make the fact that a decision is to be made very obvious. I made the ramp as long as there is pavement between the two branches. This keeps the client zoomed in long enough for you to see the detail of the junction, but then zooms out so you can see your next turn if you are going "straight". If you use only freeway segments, the client never zooms in at the split to show you detail. In some cases it is very helpful to have that visual clue.

Let me know if anyone has any questions about what I did. I either have a good explanation or I just screwed up :lol:
WeeeZer14
Send a message
iPhone 5s (AT&T) • iOS 7.0.3 • Waze 3.7.6.0
[img]https:///V68te[/img]
✰ Mega Driver ✰ Mega Mapper ✰ 1M Points ✰
Country Manager: USA • Regional Coordinator: USA South Atlantic (KY, TN, NC, SC)
Navigation/Routing ExpertForum Moderator

Post by WeeeZer14
Yes, good example of the one time we want to leave road segments un-named. Many editors have used this, but it is hard to explain to new editors some times. They just see a road with no name and think it must be missing. ;)
WeeeZer14
Send a message
iPhone 5s (AT&T) • iOS 7.0.3 • Waze 3.7.6.0
[img]https:///V68te[/img]
✰ Mega Driver ✰ Mega Mapper ✰ 1M Points ✰
Country Manager: USA • Regional Coordinator: USA South Atlantic (KY, TN, NC, SC)
Navigation/Routing ExpertForum Moderator