Mapping Alleys?

[ img ] This is the place to discuss issues that are relevant for locations in the US. For any other discussions, please use the main forums.

Moderator: delilush

Mapping Alleys?

Postby Dlarrym » Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:42 pm

I'm looking for recommendations for best editing practice for mapping alleys. In the Dallas, TX area, it is quite common to have alleys that run behind houses for access to rear garages. Under normal circumstances you would not want to route drivers on to alley ways, but there is frequently enough traffic on them from local homeowners to consider having them mapped. I was thinking about using a road type other than "streets" but wasn't sure if "service road" or "private road" would be the most appropriate? Other suggestions / recommendations are welcome.
Dlarrym

Re: Mapping Alleys?

Postby jasonh300 » Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:45 pm

Here's the major concern in mapping those alleys.

Go onto Bing and search your address. See where the pointer lands. If it's near the street, you're ok. If it lands right on top of your house, or at your front door, see if it's closer to the street or the alley. If it's closer to the alley, anyone who is routing to your house, and probably any other house in town, will get routed to an alley.

This has been an ongoing problem in parts of Los Angeles, and the only good solution is to get rid of all of the alleys, which I've been reluctant to do.

If you're starting out with no alleys, and it looks like people are going to get routed to them, save yourself the time and don't add them.
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps

Postby Bigbear3764 » Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:57 pm

If you do add them or have them, set them as Parking lot roads so people don't get routed onto them as a short cut.
Bigbear3764
Country Manager
Country Manager

Mapping Alleys?

Postby gettingthere » Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:00 am

Parking lot road type also suppresses the traffic jam reporting which is likely relevant with Alleys.
San Diego, California USA and Tijuana, Mexico
gettingthere
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps

Postby littlestlou » Tue Jul 31, 2012 2:31 am

Sorry, just now getting in to this discussion but if you map alley ways and I see them I will almost assuredly delete them. Nothing personal but they really clutter the map and are unnecessary for the average user IMO. If you disagree with this thought process send me a PM to discuss what areas you are referring to. Thanks and hope this doesn't sound too harsh! ;)
littlestlou

Postby jondrush » Tue Jul 31, 2012 2:57 am

Once again, this cannot be universal guidance. In Pennsylvania we have business and home addresses on alleys.
Keeping the Waze maps tidy since 2009
jondrush User Page
[ img ]
jondrush
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps

Postby littlestlou » Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:48 am

jondrush wrote:Once again, this cannot be universal guidance. In Pennsylvania we have business and home addresses on alleys.

Understood. My recommendation applies only to N. Texas (DFW metro specifically) and shouldn't carry weight beyond that. Not sure what ya'll do up there in that them northern states but down here in Texas, we are special. :D
littlestlou

Postby mapcat » Tue Jul 31, 2012 2:50 pm

How does this sound for guidance: if the alley has a name and that name is on street signs, then treat it as a street. If not, either call it "Alley" and make it a parking lot road, or delete it if it's never going to be used for routing.
CM, USA/Canada ∙ iPhone 5 ∙ iOS 7.1
mapcat

Postby jondrush » Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:36 pm

We have many named alleys that don't have street signs (or stop signs.) It's a cost savings measure. :shock:
Keeping the Waze maps tidy since 2009
jondrush User Page
[ img ]
jondrush
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps

Postby Daknife » Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:30 am

Just as a note I prefer service rd to parking lot rd for Alleys. I'd thought about deleting them too but then I ran across some UR's complaining about where one wasn't mapped or was mapped incorrectly. So I don't usually go out of my way to add them in, but I will clean them up if they are there.
[ img ]
AM in Utah; CM USA
Utah Forum: Utah Forum
Samsung Galaxy S4 running 4.4 KitKat on Sprint
Daknife
Waze Mentor
Waze Mentor

Next

Return to United States