This is the place to discuss issues that are relevant for locations in the US. For any other discussions, please use the main forums.

GPS Points Layer Behavior

Post by whathappened15
The following is posted for record as a case study on the behavior of the GPS Points layer. Do with this as you will.

I've been monitoring a heavily used exit ramp in Chattanooga, TN which was reconfigured by TDOT and opened to traffic on the ground early in the the morning of Friday 2-June (approx 05:00 local). It is assumed to be of little importance for this topic, but the ramp was reconfigured in Waze with the tile update that processed that night, so Waze started routing using the new layout starting in the early morning hours of 3-June (approx 03:00 local).

GPS Points along the new routing were first observed in WME the following Monday, 5-June (I was not online over the weekend). Watching over the following weeks, it appears that the GPS Points layer updates once per week, sometime over the US weekend. Each week the GPS Points along the old route thinned out, and this morning (26-June) there is only one GPS Point left on the old route. Thus, it appears that the life expectancy of a GPS Point is 4 weeks.

PL: https://www.waze.com/editor/?env=usa&lo ... 003&zoom=7
whathappened15
Coordinators
Coordinators

POSTER_ID:17375771

Send a message
Last edited by whathappened15 on Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post by jaywazin
We did a similar experiment in MA Dec15/Jan16 and came up with a similar conclusion on GPS point duration:

"Old GPS points disappear about 3-4 weeks after there is no more driving along a road."
This is also concordent with word of mouth which was approximately 30 day lifespan of GPS points.

However, in our case, new GPS points took longer to appear:
"New GPS points appear about 2 weeks after reconfiguring a new intersection."
jaywazin
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs
Send a message

Post by juliansean
Nice case study!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
juliansean
Country Manager
Country Manager
Answers: 1
Send a message
Sean Julian
CM
SM: TX, LA, MS, AR, OK
AM: SE FL, Boston, MA, Brooklyn, NY, Bronx, NY, Manhattan, NY, Queens, NY, E CA, SW KS

Post by SkiDooGuy
Here is a topic on GPS points started a fair time ago, the behavior could have changed by then, but as this is not a money maker I'd bet Waze hasn't changed much of anything in there.

And I'm sure they suffer from lack of updating due to server issues also.
SkiDooGuy
Coordinators
Coordinators
Answers: 1
Send a message
Assistant Regional Coordinator: Great Lakes Region
Local Champ: Canada, USA
Country Manager: Canada, USA, Palau
Rank 6 editor

https://i.ibb.co/ZNbYyt5/RIPIain.png

Post by whathappened15
jaywazin wrote:However, in our case, new GPS points took longer to appear:
"New GPS points appear about 2 weeks after reconfiguring a new intersection."
That is a good point to make. While in this case study the GPS Points appeared almost immediately, we have seen other locations in TN, at other times (roughly March 2017), where GPS Points took close to a month to show up. In fact, the layer appeared frozen for that period (nothing appeared or expired).
whathappened15
Coordinators
Coordinators
Send a message