Landmark - Best Practices US

Image This is the place to discuss issues that are relevant for locations in the US. For any other discussions, please use the main forums.

Moderator: MapSir

Landmark - Best Practices US

Postby coldblaze » Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:15 pm

Is there a plan to produce a best practices guide for landmark editing for the US servers? Last time I checked the wiki it was blank.

The reason I ask is because I see more and more large blocks of area marked off as parking lots by various editors. They will include entire buildings, parks and more as a parking lot. Similarly, I am starting to see equally large area's being tagged as gas stations where no gas station even exists.

Some of these are created by admin(6) which I assume is an automated bot, but most are not.

I am also curious what effect landmarks have on waze when attempting to route to a gas station via your current route? Does it use landmarks for this purpose, or does it perform some other method of identifying these landmarks? If the latter, what purpose does identifying landmarks on waze have on the actually routing system?

Thanks
coldblaze

Re: Landmark - Best Practices US

Postby CBenson » Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:54 pm

I agree that having some more guidance to get us on a consistent path would be nice, but waze needs to decide how gas stations will be handled here first.

There are many parking lots (at least on the MD side of DC) that were added by the IGN team. It seems that suppressing map problems and traffic reports from cars in parking lots was being addressed by the IGN team by putting in parking landmarks. These landmarks in my experience typcially included the buildings as well. An example is the Annapolis Mall.

The other issue is that quite a few landmarks seem to have come in with the base map. Some of these (particularly golf courses) over the course of fiddling with the landmark classifications have been given a default class. With the introduction of the gas price feature, gas stations have been made the default landmark and these landmarks now show as gas stations. This is likely the created by admin(6) gas stations that you are seeing. Example here.

I guess all I'm saying is that many of the problems here are largely traceable directly back to waze and not to the editors.

My understanding is that when routing to a gas station from the gas station category list in the US the current landmark layer is not used. In other words the imported gas station data is currently separate from the landmark layer. It also my understanding that the gas station data will be made available in WME for ongoing maintenance by the editors, but that this has not happened yet. Until we see how this is done, it seems to me that it is premature to develop best practices guidelines.
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.2.0.0
CBenson
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby HandofMadness » Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:56 pm

The parking lot landmark suppresses auto generated errors for "missing roads" so is used to solve those errors. There's no reason though to cover buildings with it. I don't know that it harms anything other than cluttering up the client map.

:: sits back and waits to be corrected ::
CM: Thailand CM: USA
HandofMadness
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby AndyPoms » Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:57 pm

CBenson wrote:My understanding is that when routing to a gas station from the gas station category list in the US the current landmark layer is not used. In other words the imported gas station data is currently separate from the landmark layer. It also my understanding that the gas station data will be made available in WME for ongoing maintenance by the editors, but that this has not happened yet. Until we see how this is done, it seems to me that it is premature to develop best practices guidelines.

See: http://www.waze.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=23354
Adding a new landmark of Gas station type will NOT add the station to the list. It will add it to the map, and if you enter a name, you will be able to search and navigate to it - just like any other landmark - but won't be able to update prices.
Waze Champ & Forum Moderator
USA Country Manager
Senior Area Manager: State of Connecticut
Wiki: Editing | Best Practices | FAQ
AndyPoms
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby CBenson » Thu Aug 02, 2012 4:09 pm

AndyPoms wrote:See: http://www.waze.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=23354
Adding a new landmark of Gas station type will NOT add the station to the list. It will add it to the map, and if you enter a name, you will be able to search and navigate to it - just like any other landmark - but won't be able to update prices.

So there is no current reason to add a gas station landmark (in the US), right?
CBenson
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby skbun » Thu Aug 02, 2012 4:45 pm

CBenson wrote:
AndyPoms wrote:See: http://www.waze.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=23354

So there is no current reason to add a gas station landmark (in the US), right?

Actually from what I understand, there is, because in the beta version of the WME, editors CAN 'add information about gas stations beyond the fact that it exists', and at some point this will be made production as well.

Best practice at this point: if it's a gas station, create a landmark for it with its brand name, and more magic will happen later.

AM in SW Shasta, NW Tehama, Central Trinity Counties, CA; Mt Rainier Nat'l Park, WA
skbun

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Thu Aug 02, 2012 4:48 pm

skbun wrote:Actually from what I understand, there is, because in the beta version of the WME, editors CAN 'add information about gas stations beyond the fact that it exists', and at some point this will be made production as well.

Best practice at this point: if it's a gas station, create a landmark for it with its brand name, and more magic will happen later.

Not in the US, though.
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Country Manager | iPhone6 - VZ - iOS 9.3.1 | Waze v4.4.9904
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby AndyPoms » Thu Aug 02, 2012 5:09 pm

AlanOfTheBerg wrote:
skbun wrote:Actually from what I understand, there is, because in the beta version of the WME, editors CAN 'add information about gas stations beyond the fact that it exists', and at some point this will be made production as well.

Not in the US, though.

What I quoted above was from the US guidelines in the post I linked to... It seems that the landmark will allow Waze to search for the Name of the station & navigate to it, but not enable gas prices. The gas prices come from a different database...

I've been adding gas station landmarks in the US because of the gas price function that is on the way & the simple fact they suppress traffic jams & problem reports of people looping through the station...
Waze Champ & Forum Moderator
USA Country Manager
Senior Area Manager: State of Connecticut
Wiki: Editing | Best Practices | FAQ
AndyPoms
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby mapcat » Thu Aug 02, 2012 5:26 pm

In the US there is already a TOTALLY SEPARATE gas station landmark layer that has NOTHING TO DO with the gas stations that may exist as visible landmarks in WME. Please don't add (or delete) any gas stations in WME in the US.

We can't edit the real gas station layer. (Yet.)
CM, USA/Canada ∙ iPhone 5 ∙ iOS 7.1
mapcat

Postby CBenson » Thu Aug 02, 2012 5:41 pm

AndyPoms wrote:What I quoted above was from the US guidelines in the post I linked to... It seems that the landmark will allow Waze to search for the Name of the station & navigate to it, but not enable gas prices. The gas prices come from a different database...

I think that the quote is unclear at best. I guess the biggest problem is that I don't really understand how waze searches and navigates to landmarks.

For example, if I search for "The White House" under the waze tab I currently get two entries for "White House, Washington, DC" and one entry for "White House, NJ" (and a bunch of garbage related to Rutter's). Are any of these really related to the "The White House" landmark. Seems unlikely to me as the landmark has the "The" in the name.

If I search for "Sherwood Forest Golf Course" (the name of the landmark I linked to above as a erroneous default gas station), I get back a ton of results with "Golf Course" or "Sherwood Forest" in the name ranging from local to Wisconsin and Alabama, but none seem to be the actual landmark.

AndyPoms wrote:I've been adding gas station landmarks in the US because of the gas price function that is on the way & the simple fact they suppress traffic jams & problem reports of people looping through the station...

Seems dangerous to me. I don't trust waze to merge the gas stations that exist in the landmark layer with the imported list of stations with price data in a coherent efficient manner.
CBenson
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Next

Return to United States