Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
This is the place to discuss issues that are relevant for locations in the US. For any other discussions, please use the main forums.
Post by vectorspace
PhantomSoul wrote:I think we're still very divided on whether POI's in general should be included as landmarks, since Waze does not provide any kind of interface in the WME for inputting and maintaining a native database of POIs and there's a lot of frustration with such POI's not appearing visually on the map.

We seem to just keep see-sawing back in forth where the yay-sayers add businesses they feel are navigationally significant, while the nay-sayers just go around deleting them and the yay-sayers then re-add them...
Again, good discussion, but it seems we're easily distracted. I had the opportunity to hear this debate in miniature at the US Meetup 2013. The same kind of nuanced questions kept coming from the editors about what detail to show, what to delete, what to include, etc.

What I heard, very resoundingly clear from Ehud, was that he wanted more content. He probably wanted more content than the editors were capable of being comfortable (for various good technical and emotional reasons). So, debating about putting in POIs or not, deleting them, etc., seems a bit silly when the app could do well with more content, both that which shows on the map and that which does not.

Of course, standards and guidance are useful to bound chaos. Waze only has so much funds (at least at the Meetup time) to pursue more enhancements and editor features that could help this debate. For instance, if we drew in every isle of a parking lot, it would make the map look horrible unless parking lot roads were rendered differently. Maybe now with Google Cash Flow, the developers can accelerate functionality in the map editor and tools as well as work to standardize the list of various landmark types that exists but some here are trying to limit use (as mentioned in the prior post).
vectorspace
Send a message
vectorspace

Post by vectorspace
Agreed. Using landmarks as POIs seems like a temporary fix, but probably worth it at a limited number of heavily-traveled locations, like airports. One can place these "landmark-POIs" within landmarks, or completely delete the larger landmark causing an issue with routing.
vectorspace
Send a message
vectorspace

Post by WeeeZer14
I'm late to the party but my 2 cents:
I'd love for some way to flag long term construction zones. The idea running around in my head that I like the most would be road segment based and then it just pops little traffic cones/pylons/barrels on the map display along the length. No warning or alert generated (although maybe that can be an option).
WeeeZer14
Send a message
iPhone 5s (AT&T) • iOS 7.0.3 • Waze 3.7.6.0
[img]https:///V68te[/img]
✰ Mega Driver ✰ Mega Mapper ✰ 1M Points ✰
Country Manager: USA • Regional Coordinator: USA South Atlantic (KY, TN, NC, SC)
Navigation/Routing ExpertForum Moderator