Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
This is the place to discuss issues that are relevant for locations in the US. For any other discussions, please use the main forums.
Post by jasonh300
daknife wrote:Also landmarks for smaller stores won't even appear in the client. Your average McDonalds, Wendy's etc aren't big enough. Heck I've had to really play with the bondaries of a couple smaller gas stations to get them to appear. And with one near my house I found that until the landmark was big enough to appear, the option to report gas prices for it was also not available.
At some point, they've increased the minimum for a landmark to appear. I had oversized a gas station near my house to appear and recently, it no longer appears.
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by jasonh300
Definitely no connection between those layers. You got some kind of weird coincidence going there. Post a location. It may be worth some further investigation.

iOS Tapatalk 2 sucks.
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by jasonh300
dctdye wrote:I've been editing in Auburn, AL, today and there are a lot of questionable landmarks. I've already deleted some I knew where in error, but thoughts on the landmarks in and around the permalink?

https://www.waze.com/editor/?zoom=3&lat ... TTTTTTTTFT
I wouldn't consider any random elementary school soccer field a "Stadium/Sports Facility". In the tentative guidelines, that designation is reserved for something more like professional or college stadiums. I don't know enough about the area to answer your question, but I would think that most of those should not be landmarked.
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by jasonh300
One thing I'd like to mention is that I'd like to see the quick link to Parking Lots removed from the Landmarks pulldown in the editor. I really don't think Gas Stations needs to be there anymore after the import, but I guess that could be useful for countries where the gas stations have not yet been imported. They're both inviting people to use them improperly now.
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by jasonh300
skbun wrote:
On a related note, did Waze fix 'the bug' where newly added stations can't populate price data?
Drawing in a gas station that isn't in the database doesn't do anything but create a useless landmark. I don't know if this is a bug. I think the missing gas stations have to be added from the back end.

Via my iPhone 4S.
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by jasonh300
Landmarks are not necessary to be able to search for and navigate to a particular park. In fact, prior to about three weeks ago, a landmark wouldn't even come up in a search.

Via my iPhone 4S.
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by jasonh300
vectorspace wrote:That's interesting. I thought landmarks would be accessible in a POI search. I read or heard somewhere from Waze that they would like to expand their internal database of search information too. Jason's comment a few posts back in this topic seemed to indicate that landmark access in POI search started occurring about three weeks ago (unless I misunderstood). I thought I verified it worked by searching for some of my landmarks (BIA was one when I went there for a meeting).

mike
It only seems to work with certain landmark types. It's being tested right now and we should have results by the end of the week.
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by jasonh300
bgodette wrote:Landmarks in search results worked for a long time (back when we were using 2.4 and well into 3.x), but then broke sometime around gas prices, and has recently returned to working again.
Not entirely. There are landmarks I've placed specifically for the purpose of them coming up first in the search results (above the incorrect results from Bing). Some work, and some do not. I'm trying to work out which ones work and which do not and the reason why.
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by jasonh300
jemay wrote:If you only searched for LAX, you would have been routed to the wrong entrance to LAX (closer to the coast), so I have created a small landmark https://www.waze.com/editor/#?%23%3F=&z ... rks=797743 and now when you search you get LAX, Los Angeles, CA in the top two items of the search. So I know the search is using landmark information in the client and map editor... Creating the landmark may have not been in the best practices but I was able to get the search to work and it returns the correct location.
That's what I had to do for MSY. The landmark originally covered the entire property of the airport and as a result, was leading people coming from I-10 into a commercial/industrial area on the north side of the airport, where the streets dead-end at the edge of the airport property. The actual entrance to the airport is on the south side, a couple of miles away. I removed the name of the large landmark, drew a new one over the terminal building, and named that one.

Additionally, I drew some tiny landmarks for long term and short term parking and arrivals and departures, and now they lead you to the exact spots that take you to those places, and they show up at the top of the list.

These tiny landmarks would be better served by a POI point (which we don't have).

However, at this point, the only landmarks I've gotten to work in the search are the ones that have been set as Airport, hence the need for a test of all landmark types. I suspect that some are set to work with the search and some are not.
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by jasonh300
PhantomSoul wrote:Follow up question: should the anchor point serve this purpose?
YES!!!

Unfortunately, it isn't repositionable, and it seems to try to computer the geometric center of the landmark, but how it arrives at that is often a mystery.
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message