Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
This is the place to discuss issues that are relevant for locations in the US. For any other discussions, please use the main forums.
Post by bgodette
CookeCity wrote:(1) If an editor isn't supposed to map each lane in a parking lot, but isn't supposed to generate a landmark parking lot, it seems that the accepted result is a potentially steady stream of auto generated MPs that talk about roads being missing due to the unexpected route. This leads to the assumption that Waze is designed to generate a certain number of "acceptable" MPs rather than place parking lots in areas that generate the MPs to suppress their generation.....correct?
If drive's last segment before separating from mapped segments is a Parking Lot no MP is generated. This is why you only need to map the ring around the lot (to contain snap-to) and along the store-fronts and backs.
bgodette
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by bgodette
mapcat wrote:
bgodette wrote: and along the store-fronts and backs.
Are segments behind the stores necessary, considering we don't know that the pin will always be closer to the lot in front? Employees and deliveries should be able to find their way.
Yes, especially if the back is next to residential.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4
bgodette
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by bgodette
sketch wrote:
bgodette wrote:
mapcat wrote:Are segments behind the stores necessary, considering we don't know that the pin will always be closer to the lot in front? Employees and deliveries should be able to find their way.
Yes, especially if the back is next to residential.

What is the rationale for this? I was routed to a residential neighborhood recently because the Pep Boys didn't have the parking lot in front of the store mapped. The building itself is back against the residential street behind it. Surely the idea should be to get you as close as possible to the Google pin on the right side?
Assume you had a PLot segment in front of the store, but not behind, and the pin still being closer to the residential street.

bgodette
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
Last edited by kentsmith9 on Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Exceeded 3 quote levels; removed to make last quotes visible

Post by bgodette
mapcat wrote:
bgodette wrote:Assume you had a PLot segment in front of the store, but not behind, and the pin still being closer to the residential street.
Then the customers of the business would be directed to the loading dock. Whether that's better than the residential street is debatable.

Once internal addressing is activated, and business addresses are properly edited, the need for the back driveway will go away, so why include it in the best practices now?
You don't wish the UPS/Truck driver running Waze to pollute historical data?
bgodette
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by bgodette
mapcat wrote:
bgodette wrote:You don't wish the UPS/Truck driver running Waze to pollute historical data?
What makes you think he would be snapped to another road?
All depends on how close it is. I can guarantee such a situation exists, the unknown is how common it is (going to say not very).
bgodette
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by bretmcvey
bgodette wrote:
mapcat wrote:
bgodette wrote:Assume you had a PLot segment in front of the store, but not behind, and the pin still being closer to the residential street.
Then the customers of the business would be directed to the loading dock. Whether that's better than the residential street is debatable.

Once internal addressing is activated, and business addresses are properly edited, the need for the back driveway will go away, so why include it in the best practices now?
You don't wish the UPS/Truck driver running Waze to pollute historical data?
Wouldn't placing a segment behind as a private road type have a lower priority than the parking lot road type? Would that still keep routing more likely to the front via the parking lot segments?
bretmcvey
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Answers: 1
Send a message
Regional Coordinator - Plains Region
Global Waze Champ | Country Manager: USA | State Manager: Nebraska
https://storage.googleapis.com/wazeoped ... _0M_6c.png

Post by bretmcvey
sketch wrote: In a word, no. It'll route you to the segment nearest the destination point regardless of type. It's all the segments between you and that last one that make a difference.
Thank you, that makes sense. I've already been making a bigger push in regards to user errors related to the destination marker to correct marker placement in Google Maps, but while better than most other alternatives it is still a slower than desired process and hit-and-miss depending on what a reviewer agrees with when resetting the marker.
bretmcvey
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by bretmcvey
Reporting a Construction Zone
I'd enjoy the longterm construction zones given more consideration like the road closure feature was. Landmark names are often hidden as mentioned while in navigation mode and appending "CONST ZN" gives you a road pronounced as "CONST Z N" by TTS and not special visual treatment like how shields are added to interstates and highways.

Concept
Marking a Construction Zone vs. a Construction Event could utilize the mechanics of the "Pave" feature in Waze. Marking the zone would mean painting the road for a duration to set the area encompassed by the construction zone.

Much like the road closure feature, you could be presented with timing options in order to set a rough time for the construction zone.

In regards to the visual treatment, overlay a pattern or color or animation or even a visual icon indicating a construction zone.
bretmcvey
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by CBenson
I agree that having some more guidance to get us on a consistent path would be nice, but waze needs to decide how gas stations will be handled here first.

There are many parking lots (at least on the MD side of DC) that were added by the IGN team. It seems that suppressing map problems and traffic reports from cars in parking lots was being addressed by the IGN team by putting in parking landmarks. These landmarks in my experience typcially included the buildings as well. An example is the Annapolis Mall.

The other issue is that quite a few landmarks seem to have come in with the base map. Some of these (particularly golf courses) over the course of fiddling with the landmark classifications have been given a default class. With the introduction of the gas price feature, gas stations have been made the default landmark and these landmarks now show as gas stations. This is likely the created by admin(6) gas stations that you are seeing. Example here.

I guess all I'm saying is that many of the problems here are largely traceable directly back to waze and not to the editors.

My understanding is that when routing to a gas station from the gas station category list in the US the current landmark layer is not used. In other words the imported gas station data is currently separate from the landmark layer. It also my understanding that the gas station data will be made available in WME for ongoing maintenance by the editors, but that this has not happened yet. Until we see how this is done, it seems to me that it is premature to develop best practices guidelines.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.7.0.902

Post by CBenson
AndyPoms wrote:See: http://www.waze.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=23354
Adding a new landmark of Gas station type will NOT add the station to the list. It will add it to the map, and if you enter a name, you will be able to search and navigate to it - just like any other landmark - but won't be able to update prices.
So there is no current reason to add a gas station landmark (in the US), right?
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.7.0.902