Landmark - Best Practices US

[ img ] This is the place to discuss issues that are relevant for locations in the US. For any other discussions, please use the main forums.

Moderator: MapSir

Re: Landmark - Best Practices US

Postby bretmcvey » Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:06 am

sketch wrote:In a word, no. It'll route you to the segment nearest the destination point regardless of type. It's all the segments between you and that last one that make a difference.

Thank you, that makes sense. I've already been making a bigger push in regards to user errors related to the destination marker to correct marker placement in Google Maps, but while better than most other alternatives it is still a slower than desired process and hit-and-miss depending on what a reviewer agrees with when resetting the marker.
bretmcvey
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs

Postby mapcat » Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:44 pm

bgodette wrote:You don't wish the UPS/Truck driver running Waze to pollute historical data?

What makes you think he would be snapped to another road?
mapcat

Postby sketch » Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:33 pm

bretmcvey wrote:
bgodette wrote:
mapcat wrote:Then the customers of the business would be directed to the loading dock. Whether that's better than the residential street is debatable.

Once internal addressing is activated, and business addresses are properly edited, the need for the back driveway will go away, so why include it in the best practices now?
You don't wish the UPS/Truck driver running Waze to pollute historical data?

Wouldn't placing a segment behind as a private road type have a lower priority than the parking lot road type? Would that still keep routing more likely to the front via the parking lot segments?

In a word, no. It'll route you to the segment nearest the destination point regardless of type. It's all the segments between you and that last one that make a difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby bretmcvey » Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:27 pm

bgodette wrote:
mapcat wrote:
bgodette wrote:Assume you had a PLot segment in front of the store, but not behind, and the pin still being closer to the residential street.

Then the customers of the business would be directed to the loading dock. Whether that's better than the residential street is debatable.

Once internal addressing is activated, and business addresses are properly edited, the need for the back driveway will go away, so why include it in the best practices now?

Wouldn't placing a segment behind as a private road type have a lower priority than the parking lot road type? Would that still keep routing more likely to the front via the parking lot segments?
bretmcvey
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs

Postby bgodette » Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:09 pm

mapcat wrote:
bgodette wrote:Assume you had a PLot segment in front of the store, but not behind, and the pin still being closer to the residential street.

Then the customers of the business would be directed to the loading dock. Whether that's better than the residential street is debatable.

bgodette
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby HandofMadness » Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:22 pm

mapcat wrote:

In most cases simply mapping the parking lot road in the front of the business will get Waze to direct them there rather than a residential street behind the business. I'd say mapping behind the business should only be used when a parking lot road in front of the business isn't working, as it is likely unneeded and will result in increased routing to the back/side of a business rather than the front.
HandofMadness
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby HandofMadness » Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:21 pm

CookeCity wrote:We are *not* supposed to draw in parking lot landmarks for businesses, and we are *not* supposed to map the individual lanes in a parking lot, which means MPs will be occasionally produced that we are to ignore (marked solved) in these lots as this is a normal consequence of the above guidance.

You shouldn't get any MPs if you've mapped all the entrances to the parking lot. Once a user drives onto a parking lot segment, it will suppress MPs if they leave the parking lot segment to drive onto unmapped areas. Ok, occasionally you will get one or two, but those are usually due to the GPS being off/not updating enough, so Waze misses the part where they first drove onto the parking lot segment, before wandering off into the unmapped wildlands of the suburban parking lot.
HandofMadness
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby mapcat » Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:18 pm

mapcat

Postby CookeCity » Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:03 pm

Thank you! That is exactly what I was looking for, and it has helped a lot. It sounds like mapping a parking lot road road/perimeter for businesses is the best bet then. It also sounds like for small businesses, an occasional MP might be generated when turning from a street (I've seen this sometimes), but your advice makes a lot of sense.
CookeCity

Postby jasonh300 » Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:33 am

CookeCity wrote:Okay, I apologize if I'm "not getting it", but I'll try to recap what I'm getting from this thread...it sounds like my initial understanding is correct. We are *not* supposed to draw in parking lot landmarks for businesses, and we are *not* supposed to map the individual lanes in a parking lot, which means MPs will be occasionally produced that we are to ignore (marked solved) in these lots as this is a normal consequence of the above guidance.

I'm still wondering what an editor is supposed to do when they find existing parking lots that violate the above guidance, is it accepted to start deleting them?

Correct that we are not to map parking lot LANDMARKS, except in special cases, such as municipal lots, which may not be clearly defined depending on your region.

Correct that we are not supposed to map each individual lane in parking lots. The perimeter (with slightly more detail for very large lots) will suffice. As bgodette said above, if someone is in a parking lot, and gets too far from a mapped road, it won't generate an MP as long as the last road they traveled on was a Parking Lot road (which is news to me, but it makes sense...otherwise, every large parking lot would be covered with MPs.)

If you see Parking Lot Landmarks that don't meet the guidelines, absolutely delete them.
jasonh300

PreviousNext

Return to United States