Landmark - Best Practices US

Image This is the place to discuss issues that are relevant for locations in the US. For any other discussions, please use the main forums.

Moderator: MapSir

Re: Landmark - Best Practices US

Postby PhantomSoul » Fri Oct 25, 2013 5:51 pm

Two things:

1. I thought the CONST ZN suffix was only for segments totally disconnected from the road network during construction but expected to be reconnected at some point in the future. We do this instead of deleting them to avoid losing the road metric data they've collected, and the CONST ZN serves as note to anyone reviewing the map for disconnected segments as to why it's there and disconnected. So I'm not sure what the fuss about TTS trying to read CONST ZN is about.

2. As I understand it, there is no reliable predictability, at least within the context of WME, for which landmarks will appear, when, and for how long, or whether a particular landmark's name is displayed in any of the Waze clients. Rather they are rendered (or hidden) as a function of zoom level and other higher priority things drawn on the map around it, like other roads, their names, city names, the navigation line and its bubble names, etc. As such, denoting construction zones with landmarks does not really add any kind of reliable value to the Waze clients, but it does add extra noise to the landmarks database.

I would think that we should have a way to identify long-term construction zones in a broader sense than just temporarily re-configuring sections of roads. If fed to the Waze clients correctly, it could provider the driver with valuable information about constructions zones up ahead and maybe even a warning to keep an eye out since the map may be slightly outdated there. However, because of the way landmarks are rendered, I do not think that landmarks will adequately meet this objective.
MENTOR, CM: USA, SM: NJ NY, AM: Northern NJ, Upstate NY
Waze Editing Manual | USA Road Types | USA Forum
Verizon iPhone 6 / iOS 9.2.1 / Waze 4.2.0
PhantomSoul
Country Manager
Country Manager

Postby orbitc » Fri Oct 25, 2013 6:06 pm

PhantomSoul wrote:Two things:

1. I thought the CONST ZN suffix was only for segments totally disconnected from the road network during construction but expected to be reconnected at some point in the future. We do this instead of deleting them to avoid losing the road metric data they've collected, and the CONST ZN serves as note to anyone reviewing the map for disconnected segments as to why it's there and disconnected. So I'm not sure what the fuss about TTS trying to read CONST ZN is about.

2. As I understand it, there is no reliable predictability, at least within the context of WME, for which landmarks will appear, when, and for how long, or whether a particular landmark's name is displayed in any of the Waze clients. Rather they are rendered (or hidden) as a function of zoom level and other higher priority things drawn on the map around it, like other roads, their names, city names, the navigation line and its bubble names, etc. As such, denoting construction zones with landmarks does not really add any kind of reliable value to the Waze clients, but it does add extra noise to the landmarks database.

I would think that we should have a way to identify long-term construction zones in a broader sense than just temporarily re-configuring sections of roads. If fed to the Waze clients correctly, it could provider the driver with valuable information about constructions zones up ahead and maybe even a warning to keep an eye out since the map may be slightly outdated there. However, because of the way landmarks are rendered, I do not think that landmarks will adequately meet this objective.

+1

Unless, there is dedicated color in that LM indicating the Construction Zone like Orange perhaps, it wouldn't work due to the inconsistencies PhontomSoul mentioned above. (to give credit to the rightful party...color was suggested by mapcat from an earlier post, if I'm not mistaken)
Regional Coordinator for Northeast (DE, NJ, NY, PA) & New England (CT, ME, MA, NH, RI, VT)
• ßeta Tester
• iOS ßeta: Always the latest version
• WME ßeta

WME | Mentoring | AM | USA
orbitc
Master Raider
Master Raider

Postby sketch » Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:47 pm

PhantomSoul wrote:Two things:

As far as I'm aware, this is not the case; at least, this is not how it's been used around here.

Either way, I'm pretty sure it predates TTS.

IMO it would be better to replace it with "(Under Construction)" if anything. Waze inserts a pause at the open parenthesis and would pronounce it properly; also, it looks better.
ALL US EDITORS READ: New USA road type guidance
new orleans based • detroit enthusiast • usa country manager
2013 ford focus titanium hatchback 5mt • performance blue
Image Image
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Previous

Return to United States