Landmark - Best Practices US

[ img ] This is the place to discuss issues that are relevant for locations in the US. For any other discussions, please use the main forums.

Moderator: MapSir

Re: Landmark - Best Practices US

Postby CookeCity » Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:17 am

Okay, I apologize if I'm "not getting it", but I'll try to recap what I'm getting from this thread...it sounds like my initial understanding is correct. We are *not* supposed to draw in parking lot landmarks for businesses, and we are *not* supposed to map the individual lanes in a parking lot, which means MPs will be occasionally produced that we are to ignore (marked solved) in these lots as this is a normal consequence of the above guidance.

I'm still wondering what an editor is supposed to do when they find existing parking lots that violate the above guidance, is it accepted to start deleting them?
CookeCity
 
Posts: 57
Joined: Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:03 am
Location: Phoenix, MD
Has thanked: 28 times
Been thanked: 10 times

Re: Landmark - Best Practices US

Postby kentsmith9 » Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:44 am

shawndoc wrote:
CookeCity wrote:Which is why I am confused...what you say makes sense to me...but in the Landmark Guidelines it states:
Please note that parking lots at businesses are not mapped.

and that the only parking lots that should be mapped are:
Park & Ride/Commuter Lots are mapped at the fence line

With the mapping of pay parking lots under consideration.


I believe you are talking about the Landmark post? It is referring to drawing in the parking lot landmark, not the parking lot roads.

Yes that is a landmark guideline, not the roads in the lots. I will make that distinction (once we get around to adding the damn thing in the wiki). :lol:
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
 
Posts: 5397
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:33 pm
Location: SF/SJ Bay Area of Northern California
Has thanked: 1433 times
Been thanked: 1625 times

Re: Landmark - Best Practices US

Postby HandofMadness » Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:41 am

CookeCity wrote:Which is why I am confused...what you say makes sense to me...but in the Landmark Guidelines it states:
Please note that parking lots at businesses are not mapped.

and that the only parking lots that should be mapped are:
Park & Ride/Commuter Lots are mapped at the fence line

With the mapping of pay parking lots under consideration.


I believe you are talking about the Landmark post? It is referring to drawing in the parking lot landmark, not the parking lot roads.
HandofMadness
Area Manager
Area Manager
 
Posts: 1802
Joined: Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:44 am
Location: Californialand, USA
Has thanked: 18 times
Been thanked: 375 times

Re: Landmark - Best Practices US

Postby bgodette » Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:26 am

sketch wrote:
bgodette wrote:
mapcat wrote:Are segments behind the stores necessary, considering we don't know that the pin will always be closer to the lot in front? Employees and deliveries should be able to find their way.
Yes, especially if the back is next to residential.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4

What is the rationale for this? I was routed to a residential neighborhood recently because the Pep Boys didn't have the parking lot in front of the store mapped. The building itself is back against the residential street behind it. Surely the idea should be to get you as close as possible to the Google pin on the right side?
Assume you had a PLot segment in front of the store, but not behind, and the pin still being closer to the residential street.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4
Last edited by kentsmith9 on Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Exceeded 3 quote levels; removed to make last quotes visible
bgodette
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
 
Posts: 3419
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:19 pm
Location: Denver, CO
Has thanked: 109 times
Been thanked: 507 times

Re: Landmark - Best Practices US

Postby sketch » Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:44 am

bgodette wrote:
mapcat wrote:
bgodette wrote: and along the store-fronts and backs.

Are segments behind the stores necessary, considering we don't know that the pin will always be closer to the lot in front? Employees and deliveries should be able to find their way.
Yes, especially if the back is next to residential.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4

What is the rationale for this? I was routed to a residential neighborhood recently because the Pep Boys didn't have the parking lot in front of the store mapped. The building itself is back against the residential street behind it. Surely the idea should be to get you as close as possible to the Google pin on the right side?
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
 
Posts: 5977
Joined: Sat Aug 08, 2009 6:13 pm
Location: New Orleans, LA
Has thanked: 1449 times
Been thanked: 2007 times

Re: Landmark - Best Practices US

Postby bgodette » Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:20 am

mapcat wrote:
bgodette wrote: and along the store-fronts and backs.

Are segments behind the stores necessary, considering we don't know that the pin will always be closer to the lot in front? Employees and deliveries should be able to find their way.
Yes, especially if the back is next to residential.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4
bgodette
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
 
Posts: 3419
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:19 pm
Location: Denver, CO
Has thanked: 109 times
Been thanked: 507 times

Re: Landmark - Best Practices US

Postby AndyPoms » Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:41 am

Simple answer - MPs are something to look at, not necessarily something to fix.

I get a few MPs a month because drivers don't see/ignore a no left turn sign, go the wrong way down a one way street, etc. There is nothing to fix in those cases, but it's reasonable to take a look at it...

Just mark the MPs solved & move on...
AndyPoms
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
 
Posts: 7161
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:34 pm
Location: Hartford, CT
Has thanked: 129 times
Been thanked: 1314 times

Re: Landmark - Best Practices US

Postby CookeCity » Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:22 am

bgodette wrote:
CookeCity wrote:(1) If an editor isn't supposed to map each lane in a parking lot, but isn't supposed to generate a landmark parking lot, it seems that the accepted result is a potentially steady stream of auto generated MPs that talk about roads being missing due to the unexpected route. This leads to the assumption that Waze is designed to generate a certain number of "acceptable" MPs rather than place parking lots in areas that generate the MPs to suppress their generation.....correct?
If drive's last segment before separating from mapped segments is a Parking Lot no MP is generated. This is why you only need to map the ring around the lot (to contain snap-to) and along the store-fronts and backs.


Which is why I am confused...what you say makes sense to me...but in the Landmark Guidelines it states:
Please note that parking lots at businesses are not mapped.

and that the only parking lots that should be mapped are:
Park & Ride/Commuter Lots are mapped at the fence line

With the mapping of pay parking lots under consideration.

If I follow the guidelines, and don't map business parking lots, I see the MPs generated because people go into/through the parking lots and generate the MP.
CookeCity
 
Posts: 57
Joined: Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:03 am
Location: Phoenix, MD
Has thanked: 28 times
Been thanked: 10 times

Re: Landmark - Best Practices US

Postby mapcat » Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:01 am

bgodette wrote: and along the store-fronts and backs.

Are segments behind the stores necessary, considering we don't know that the pin will always be closer to the lot in front? Employees and deliveries should be able to find their way.
mapcat
 
Posts: 2444
Joined: Mon Dec 20, 2010 5:29 am
Has thanked: 95 times
Been thanked: 196 times

Re: Landmark - Best Practices US

Postby bgodette » Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:24 pm

CookeCity wrote:(1) If an editor isn't supposed to map each lane in a parking lot, but isn't supposed to generate a landmark parking lot, it seems that the accepted result is a potentially steady stream of auto generated MPs that talk about roads being missing due to the unexpected route. This leads to the assumption that Waze is designed to generate a certain number of "acceptable" MPs rather than place parking lots in areas that generate the MPs to suppress their generation.....correct?
If drive's last segment before separating from mapped segments is a Parking Lot no MP is generated. This is why you only need to map the ring around the lot (to contain snap-to) and along the store-fronts and backs.
bgodette
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
 
Posts: 3419
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:19 pm
Location: Denver, CO
Has thanked: 109 times
Been thanked: 507 times

PreviousNext

Return to United States

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users