Landmark - Best Practices US

[ img ] This is the place to discuss issues that are relevant for locations in the US. For any other discussions, please use the main forums.

Moderator: MapSir

Re: Landmark - Best Practices US

Postby CookeCity » Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:35 pm

Relatively new editor (but hopefully getting much better)...Okay, I've read this entire thread, plus the guidelines and looked at enough MPs to get an idea of how things work (or don't work). In the areas I'm working in, I see *plenty* of business parking lots...but this leads to my questions:

(1) If an editor isn't supposed to map each lane in a parking lot, but isn't supposed to generate a landmark parking lot, it seems that the accepted result is a potentially steady stream of auto generated MPs that talk about roads being missing due to the unexpected route. This leads to the assumption that Waze is designed to generate a certain number of "acceptable" MPs rather than place parking lots in areas that generate the MPs to suppress their generation.....correct?

(2) So, what is the consensus about "extra" landmarks? Do we as "good" editors go into an area an nuke 'em? I'm sure that other editors that aren't up on the threads won't be pleased...but...it's one thing to say they shouldn't be mapped; I just want to make sure that deleting them is the accepted norm. As I've read through the threads in the forum, I'm still a little confused as to what to do...

Thanks,
CookeCity

Postby HandofMadness » Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:02 pm

Ah ok, thanks Andy. Guess I didn't search back far enough in the archives.
HandofMadness
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby AndyPoms » Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:13 am

shawndoc wrote:Rather than trying to get consensus on landmarks in general. Can we start going down the list of landmarks one by one and seeing if we can get a consensus on whether that type of land mark should be used? With any where its clear there is not a consensus, we move on and mark it to come back to later? I think we can probably knock quite a few out that way and at least be able to add a "Landmark's you should not use in the US" page in the wiki to refer people to while we hammer out the details on the more contentious landmark types.

I haven't read this entire thread (about half of it), so forgive me if this has already happened previously or been decided against.

We already did that HERE. I've complied the results, the Champs are talking about a few things that were brought up in that discussion (although it's been moved to the back burner because of major changes to WME most of us are beta testing - trust me, they are worth it). This is the 2nd item on my plate - I hope to have the first item cleared by this weekend, and then I have to write up a "theory of landmarks" wiki page & start getting things posted.
AndyPoms
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby HandofMadness » Wed Aug 07, 2013 6:07 am

Rather than trying to get consensus on landmarks in general. Can we start going down the list of landmarks one by one and seeing if we can get a consensus on whether that type of land mark should be used? With any where its clear there is not a consensus, we move on and mark it to come back to later? I think we can probably knock quite a few out that way and at least be able to add a "Landmark's you should not use in the US" page in the wiki to refer people to while we hammer out the details on the more contentious landmark types.

I haven't read this entire thread (about half of it), so forgive me if this has already happened previously or been decided against.
HandofMadness
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby sketch » Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:08 pm

shawndoc wrote:Just wanted to add to the discussion from a few pages ago.. Add supermarket's to one of the landmarks that turn up when searching.

So does "Museum/visitor center/monument" and "Junction/interchange".

I don't know that type is actually a problem for landmarks anymore.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby HandofMadness » Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:40 am

Just wanted to add to the discussion from a few pages ago.. Add supermarket's to one of the landmarks that turn up when searching.
HandofMadness
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby txemt » Tue Aug 06, 2013 5:41 am

I haven't had any issues with the SAT airport since....I started editing a year ago, then something changed recently, and I can't figure it out. It's landmarked and last edited by me a long time ago, then locked at a level 5. In looking at it, someone added 2 parking lots (short and long term) on August 3rd, but those reports were before that was done. :\
txemt
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby jasonh300 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:37 pm

sketch wrote:
jasonh300 wrote:
txemt wrote:I've started getting URs for the San Antonio airport. When I plug it into the nav, it directs me to the front entrance, but people are going being routed to the back, lately and I don't know what's changed.

I had a similar complaint about MSY. I've tried to duplicate it in the app and on Livemap, but nothing I search will route me anywhere except to the terminal building. I don't know what they could possibly be doing different, and of course, these are all the ones who don't respond to the conversations in the UR, so I haven't been able to gather any further info.

It may depend on where you are when you start the route.

That's very well possible. The last complaint was made from Eunice, LA, which is 150 miles from the airport.
jasonh300

Postby sketch » Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:34 pm

jasonh300 wrote:
txemt wrote:I've started getting URs for the San Antonio airport. When I plug it into the nav, it directs me to the front entrance, but people are going being routed to the back, lately and I don't know what's changed.

I had a similar complaint about MSY. I've tried to duplicate it in the app and on Livemap, but nothing I search will route me anywhere except to the terminal building. I don't know what they could possibly be doing different, and of course, these are all the ones who don't respond to the conversations in the UR, so I haven't been able to gather any further info.

It may depend on where you are when you start the route.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby jasonh300 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:18 pm

jasonh300

PreviousNext

Return to United States