Landmark - Best Practices US

Image This is the place to discuss issues that are relevant for locations in the US. For any other discussions, please use the main forums.

Moderator: MapSir

Re: Landmark - Best Practices US

Postby PhantomSoul » Thu May 30, 2013 8:57 pm

The lack of being able to define a single point for a POI (POINT of interest - who knew?) to navigate to strikes again. Just sayin' (Is anyone keeping count?)

That being said, don't the landmark polygons have an anchor point that serves as the spot Waze would navigate to if you put that landmark in as a destination - or is that just for like moving the whole landmark in WME? Follow up question: should the anchor point serve this purpose?
ImageImageImageImageImage
Waze Editing Manual | USA Road Types | USA Forum
Verizon iPhone 6 / iOS (latest) / Waze (latest/beta)
PhantomSoul
Local Champ Mentor
Local Champ Mentor

Postby PhantomSoul » Tue May 28, 2013 8:10 pm

Shouldn't POI's be points instead of complex polygons, just from a database perspective? Complex polygons are OK for true landmarks, which, by definition, are supposed to be few and far between (i.e., you really should not see 6 different landmarks on a single block of road; most of those things would probably not be actual landmarks then). There's no limit, however, to how many POI's you could have in any given area though.

A landmark is, by definition, prominent. I think one of the things that has to be decided is whether we want to limit landmarks to physical prominence - in other words, does the thing, say, visually stand out from the vast majority of things around it, perhaps for at least a few miles? Or, do we also want to include objects of social prominence as well - like, for example, does everyone - at least in the local area - know where and what the thing is even though it may not stand out visually like a tall building or some other tall structure? This would potentially include businesses with well-known branding along the side of the road. The caveat here, I think, would be that social prominence is far more subjective than physical prominence, making the system more prone to clutter, but we should probably also not forget that the social aspects of Waze are one of its biggest features that make it stand out from all the other cell-phone navigation options out there.
PhantomSoul
Local Champ Mentor
Local Champ Mentor

Postby PhantomSoul » Tue May 28, 2013 4:32 pm

What's the relationship between landmarks and POI's? I thought destination searches were done based on addresses or POI's, a separate database from landmarks. Are all landmarks POI's? Just some, perhaps? Are all POI's landmarks? Again, just some, maybe? How can you tell the difference in a not-too-subjective way?
PhantomSoul
Local Champ Mentor
Local Champ Mentor

Postby PhantomSoul » Wed May 01, 2013 10:23 pm

I've got a number of editors landmarking rivers, lakes, and other bodies of water in my area. Should we be landmarking those or should they be asked to stop?

I thought that the Waze client uses a completely separate layer from the WME landmarks to show where there is water. Has this changed?
PhantomSoul
Local Champ Mentor
Local Champ Mentor

Postby orbitc » Fri Oct 25, 2013 6:06 pm

PhantomSoul wrote:Two things:

1. I thought the CONST ZN suffix was only for segments totally disconnected from the road network during construction but expected to be reconnected at some point in the future. We do this instead of deleting them to avoid losing the road metric data they've collected, and the CONST ZN serves as note to anyone reviewing the map for disconnected segments as to why it's there and disconnected. So I'm not sure what the fuss about TTS trying to read CONST ZN is about.

2. As I understand it, there is no reliable predictability, at least within the context of WME, for which landmarks will appear, when, and for how long, or whether a particular landmark's name is displayed in any of the Waze clients. Rather they are rendered (or hidden) as a function of zoom level and other higher priority things drawn on the map around it, like other roads, their names, city names, the navigation line and its bubble names, etc. As such, denoting construction zones with landmarks does not really add any kind of reliable value to the Waze clients, but it does add extra noise to the landmarks database.

I would think that we should have a way to identify long-term construction zones in a broader sense than just temporarily re-configuring sections of roads. If fed to the Waze clients correctly, it could provider the driver with valuable information about constructions zones up ahead and maybe even a warning to keep an eye out since the map may be slightly outdated there. However, because of the way landmarks are rendered, I do not think that landmarks will adequately meet this objective.

+1

Unless, there is dedicated color in that LM indicating the Construction Zone like Orange perhaps, it wouldn't work due to the inconsistencies PhontomSoul mentioned above. (to give credit to the rightful party...color was suggested by mapcat from an earlier post, if I'm not mistaken)
Regional Coordinator for Northeast (DE, NJ, NY, PA) & New England (CT, ME, MA, NH, RI, VT)
• ßeta Tester
• iOS ßeta: Always the latest version
• WME ßeta

WME | USA | MapRaid!
orbitc
Master Raider
Master Raider

Postby orbitc » Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:48 pm

It's hard not to agree. But... Are we also sending mix messages when we have a list of things we can but we shouldn't add them to the maps as landmarks? Should some of those business be on that list? If you don't want certain things use, why not take them out?

2.jpg
2.jpg (19.83 KiB) Viewed 1084 times

One solution (if it's possible) is to limit who can add landmarks. Maybe, AM's should be able to add them since they are aware of wiki and latest decisions.

I know that in my area an editor add everything to the map and (including a boat in the water and trace it perfectly) that you cannot see the map and locked them all (@ L1 -not that it matters-). If he was knowledgeable, what can be added or not, we would have fewer issues of adding and deleting.
Regional Coordinator for Northeast (DE, NJ, NY, PA) & New England (CT, ME, MA, NH, RI, VT)
• ßeta Tester
• iOS ßeta: Always the latest version
• WME ßeta

WME | USA | MapRaid!
orbitc
Master Raider
Master Raider

Postby ncc1701v » Tue May 28, 2013 12:03 pm

russblau wrote:Second, given what I understand to be the purpose of landmarks, many of these guidelines make no sense. Why is the "historical importance" of a cemetery of any value in deciding whether it is useful to drivers seeking to orient themselves on the road network? Why are parks or schools, which may be located far off a road, more useful for navigation than a store or office building? A McDonald's at a major intersection may be a more useful landmark than a church that is at the end of a long dead-end street and not visible from any other road. Again, what's the reason for these distinctions?

Landmarks are not just orientation aids, they can be destinations in themselves. When I was on Oahu as a tourist, there were several cases every day where all I knew was the name of a particular park, but I had no idea how to get an address, or even street, for it. I was very grateful that the people there had taken the trouble to map them. The same is true for other "historically significant" places - they are often destinations, and people need to be able to find them without street addresses.
... and the "v" is for Volvo.
ncc1701v

Postby MGODLEW » Sun Oct 06, 2013 7:39 pm

I think I heard things about being able to flag a road as a construction zone in waze in the near future but in the mean time I would like to propose use of the landmark type of "Other" over top the entire length of the road of Long Term construction zones while also flagging the road name CONST ZN. In the name of the landmark, keep it short & sweet. For example: (I-80 E & W Single Lane Restrictions) or (Road Closed: Bridge Replacement), then in the comments field put the estimated complete date & and any links to reference. I tried experimenting with this & kinda like the results. Wondering what the communities thoughts are? I think it would benefit editors by letting them know why the a road maybe detached/closed or why normally a 1 way road is now a 2 way road. Plus, in the client it shows the actually start & end of the construction zone while simply adding CONST ZN doesn't appear until you are actually driving well into the construction zone. Road Closure To McKees Rocks example.

Rank 6 US Champ, Beta Tester & iOS Beta Leader | Waze Wishlist | Improper Edits | iPhone 6: JB iOS 9.0.2 |
Area Managing: State of Pennsylvania
MGODLEW
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs

Postby McCracken808 » Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:42 pm

Since there is no specific category for it, what is the best practice for categorizing a golf course? What is the general consensus?
Aloha,
Douglas

AM - Hawaii

ImageImageImage
Waze Resources:
Waze Wiki, Landmarks Guideline, Area Manager Wiki, Best Practices

iPhone 5, iOS 7.1.1, Waze 3.8, Mazda3
McCracken808

Postby mapcat » Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:33 pm

MGODLEW wrote:I tried experimenting with this & kinda like the results.

I saw some of your handiwork on a few recent trips thru PA and agree that it's helpful. Unfortunately for long stretches sometimes only a blank rectangle shows on the screen, and so there's no way of knowing exactly what's going on.

If we could have a special landmark for this, perhaps one that shows as orange in the client and always displayed the text whenever part of the landmark was on the screen, I'd support that.
CM, USA/Canada ∙ iPhone 5 ∙ iOS 7.1
mapcat

PreviousNext

Return to United States