This is the place to discuss issues that are relevant for locations in the US. For any other discussions, please use the main forums.
Post by jasonh300
jemay wrote:I agree on the over details of LAX and quite a few other Southern California airports!!!
Not just the airport, but there's landmarks on everything, all over L.A. I remember, back when there was only a couple of casual local editors in the entire L.A. area, finding areas where *everything* had a parking lot landmark, to the point where the background of the map in the client appeared blue. This was the fault of the IGN editors, and I think a lot of one-time hit & run level (1) editors followed suit and each made their contribution of a couple dozen landmarks.
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by jasonh300
The behavior about landmark routing is extremely uncertain. Your best bet is to reduce the existing landmark to just cover the terminal building. Leave the name as-is. Then draw a second landmark to cover the entire airport and don't name it. This should get the traffic going to the right place.
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by jasonh300
txemt wrote:I've started getting URs for the San Antonio airport. When I plug it into the nav, it directs me to the front entrance, but people are going being routed to the back, lately and I don't know what's changed.
I had a similar complaint about MSY. I've tried to duplicate it in the app and on Livemap, but nothing I search will route me anywhere except to the terminal building. I don't know what they could possibly be doing different, and of course, these are all the ones who don't respond to the conversations in the UR, so I haven't been able to gather any further info.
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by jasonh300
sketch wrote:
jasonh300 wrote:
txemt wrote:I've started getting URs for the San Antonio airport. When I plug it into the nav, it directs me to the front entrance, but people are going being routed to the back, lately and I don't know what's changed.
I had a similar complaint about MSY. I've tried to duplicate it in the app and on Livemap, but nothing I search will route me anywhere except to the terminal building. I don't know what they could possibly be doing different, and of course, these are all the ones who don't respond to the conversations in the UR, so I haven't been able to gather any further info.
It may depend on where you are when you start the route.
That's very well possible. The last complaint was made from Eunice, LA, which is 150 miles from the airport.
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by jasonh300
CookeCity wrote:Okay, I apologize if I'm "not getting it", but I'll try to recap what I'm getting from this thread...it sounds like my initial understanding is correct. We are *not* supposed to draw in parking lot landmarks for businesses, and we are *not* supposed to map the individual lanes in a parking lot, which means MPs will be occasionally produced that we are to ignore (marked solved) in these lots as this is a normal consequence of the above guidance.

I'm still wondering what an editor is supposed to do when they find existing parking lots that violate the above guidance, is it accepted to start deleting them?
Correct that we are not to map parking lot LANDMARKS, except in special cases, such as municipal lots, which may not be clearly defined depending on your region.

Correct that we are not supposed to map each individual lane in parking lots. The perimeter (with slightly more detail for very large lots) will suffice. As bgodette said above, if someone is in a parking lot, and gets too far from a mapped road, it won't generate an MP as long as the last road they traveled on was a Parking Lot road (which is news to me, but it makes sense...otherwise, every large parking lot would be covered with MPs.)

If you see Parking Lot Landmarks that don't meet the guidelines, absolutely delete them.
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by jemay
I have been changing the golf courses from Gas Station to Parks
jemay
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
:arrow: PLEASE READ: Wiki Resources: FAQ|Best Practices|Editing issues?
Global Champ | Assistant Regional Coordinator for US South West - CA,NV,UT,AZ,NM,CO,HI | CM for US

Android & Carplay - Verizon

Post by jemay
If you only searched for LAX, you would have been routed to the wrong entrance to LAX (closer to the coast), so I have created a small landmark https://www.waze.com/editor/#?%23%3F=&z ... rks=797743 and now when you search you get LAX, Los Angeles, CA in the top two items of the search. So I know the search is using landmark information in the client and map editor... Creating the landmark may have not been in the best practices but I was able to get the search to work and it returns the correct location.
jemay
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Global Champ | Assistant Regional Coordinator for US South West - CA,NV,UT,AZ,NM,CO,HI | CM for US

Post by jemay
daknife wrote:Wow, totally against the proposed National Standards, excessive and serves to inspire other editors to do the same to every other building they think of landmarking. I would rather suggest keep the large landmark for the entire airfield and putting a small inner landmark (that will never show on the client) for the terminals to aid in navigation to said terminals and maybe another for a General Aviation entry and one for a Cargo entry point but beyond that way too much work, way too many separate landmarks and too much data to be sent to the client (remember some people are limited in how much data they can use each month).

What purpose does it serve to map out the outline of every terminal taxi-way and runway? No waze should ever be trying to drive to those landmarks. A single large landmark for the entire airport with a couple inner guide marks to lead navigation to the passenger drop-offs, Long and short term parking and cargo/delivery points is all that is needed.
I agree on the over details of LAX and quite a few other Southern California airports!!!
jemay
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by jondrush
Accurate content is great. Hacked up content on multi-use layers, not so much.
jondrush
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by jrbdmb
Slightly different issue - I'm noticing a lot of landmarks are being created for specific standalone stores and restaurants, large shopping malls and small strip malls, etc.

https://www.waze.com/editor/?lon=-74.55 ... TTTTTTTTFT

Creating a landmark for a Wendy's, Denny's, etc. seems like overkill to me, but as (1) there are no defined best practices for the US and (2) the editor is more than happy to create these landmarks I'm hesitant to delete these. Should I take any action or just leave these alone for now? And in general what are others defining in their areas: large malls / small shopping areas / schools / hospitals / etc?
jrbdmb
Send a message